U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 33,196 times

Advertisements

How is life in St. Augustine? I heard over and over what a beautiful town it is, but I have never been there. Would you recommend moving there and if yes, what areas are the best? Is it a safe and somewhat drug free and fun place for teenagers? (I have a 16 year old daughter). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 05:17 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 105,113 times
It isn't really that St. Augustine is a "bad" place to raise kids- it's just that there are places which are so much better, the only reason someone would raise a kid here is to satisfy their own selfish delusions about "the beach" and "quaint seaside towns" at the expense of providing a fertile environment to raise well rounded kids.

Sorry. I was raised in St. Aug. I can speak with authority on this.

There's absolutely, positively NOTHING to do for kids in that age range (PS- No where you go is going to be "drug free")
St. Aug is an amazing place to visit, it's a great place to retire, a fun place to go to Flagler College, it's a marginal place to live, it's a HORRIBLE place to live if you're a younger person and trying to establish a life for yourself (unless making $9 an hour and paying $1000 a month rent is your idea of a good life) and it is downright miserable to live there as a kid.

As far as raising kids? Forget it. There are just so many better choices. There are much, much better places out there where you kids can develop into well rounded adults by way of exposure to productive endeavors that are completely absent in St. Augustine.
In St. Augustine, their choice is the beach, the church, the drug scene, or ride it out along with the rest of the kids whose parents moved here until they're old enough to move someplace else.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,917,174 times
Flagler County is just south of St. Augustine. I've been here for about 10 years and can attest that it's a great place to raise a family. You can be in St. Augustine in 20 minutes, there are only 9 schools- 5 elementary, two middle and two high schools. Small town feel but in growth mode- our new Lowes opens tomorrow, target, ross, petsmart, linens & things and much more is under construction.

Check it out- I can't speak to how it is to live in St. Aug but I do love visiting there. And I love living in Flagler County.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 PM

61 posts, read 198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
How is life in St. Augustine? I heard over and over what a beautiful town it is, but I have never been there. Would you recommend moving there and if yes, what areas are the best? Is it a safe and somewhat drug free and fun place for teenagers? (I have a 16 year old daughter). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to check out the Jax forum- there are numerous threads on St. Augustine/St. John's County. The regulars on that forum are terrific - they'll give you a balanced and realistic perspective on the area.

We considered St. Augustine when deciding on our move to N. FL - but for us, proximity to the airport (I'm a consultant) and other conveniences were the key... However, St. Aug is beautiful - friends of ours just relocated there - they have 4 kids - ages 3-13, each time I speak w/ them, they tell me of all the terrific things to do in the area for families - it really all depends on what you are "in to" - and what you are looking for.

If you are considering several areas, St. Aug is definitely worth a visit. The best way to decide is to visit yourself.

Best of luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:07 PM

156 posts, read 497,644 times
Yes, I must agree. We live in St Augustine in the World Golf Village area which is growing by leaps and bounds with tons of kids and young families looking for friendship. It is wonderful for the kids to play outside, all ages. The shopping is a little far away right now for your larger department stores like Target and Wal Mart, but it is all coming within a few years. The schools are great, teachers care about the kids, and the parents are very involved so that helps. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,988,604 times
St. Augustine is a beautiful city and it would make a great vacation for you and your family, so I would pursue that so you can take a look for yourself firsthand.

I have lived in St. Augustine, now living in Jacksonville, and I tend to agree with aspects of all of the above. It's a great city, and if I was older and retired, that's probably where I'd want to be. I lived there as a single person in my very late 20's and it was not a good fit (Jax would have been better).

For kids, I think it's fine while they are little, but once they are preteens I see some limitations.

Few people, by the way, live in St. Augustine itself. St. Augustine is a historic city with limited housing in the city itself. Across the bay is Anastasia Island - where a lot of retirees live - and it's a great location, but prohibitively expensive for many people. So, a large number of people are now locating themselves in the northernmost part of St. John's county where there is a lot of new development......again, limitations, as Lvmy3girls alluded to with 'far away shopping', etc.

As for drug free, no, it is not drug free. In fact, having your children living in an out of the way place often leads to the boredom that can pique their interest in drug exploration - the rural areas here in NEFL are loaded with drug use, that's the truth .

Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 AM

605 posts, read 3,216,354 times
As the others said, the city of st augustine itself is quite small and most people do not actual live in town. We have a St Aug address yet live near WGV. Our kids are small still so they are happy with a pool and a playground but for older kids they may feel it's too quiet. The NW area of the county is probably a better bet, but only you know your child and their needs.

Pirate Girl: I'm sooo jealous. They keep teasing us in the paper with the promise of future retail shopping! We still have a few years!

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,917,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamcim72 View Post
Pirate Girl: I'm sooo jealous. They keep teasing us in the paper with the promise of future retail shopping! We still have a few years!
Tam, I've served my time driving to Daytona or St. Aug for decent shopping...... I'm so excited that there will finally be a shopping option other than Bealls or Wal Mart!

Regarding things for older kids to do, here is where I think the problem is. Many parents don't want to drive their kids to extracurricular activities. And in many cases, if the kids can't walk there, they don't participate. I know that back in the good old days such activities were more neighborhood based but with suburban sprawl the way it is, that's just not a realistic expectation.

My teenager has kept me busy since he was four. It's virtually guaranteed that at least two nights per week and most Saturdays between the months of August and May I will be transporting him to some kind of practice or activity and/or sitting on bleachers watching. If he participates in an after school activity I do have to pick him up afterwards.

It makes for a busy life, but it definitely keeps him out of trouble. I know that many communities in North Florida have extensive offerings of sports, arts, clubs, church groups and civic organizations for children. Parents just need to do some digging to find them and be willing to take time out of their schedule to get the kids there.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 78,659 times
I do. I think it is a wonderful, easy place to live - a low COL compared to much of the country and generally great weather. However, I do have an advanced (specialized) degree so an hourly wage is a non-issue. Finding just a "job" at a decent wage may be difficult because we are a small town but you may just have to commute. There isn't too much of a "scene" in St Aug but again, it is a small town not a big city.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 27,204 times
you would have to be a complete idiot to want to stay here .....well , if youre retired and live on the beach , its not so bad .......i was born and raised here and have seen other places but have always wanted to move out of here permanently ....here are the basic kinds of people who live here ...white supremest rednecks , blacks , or wiggers (whites who act black) ....on the beach-side you have your preps and douche-bags ....we drink alcohol and fish and fight ...theres nothing for kids (except watching the adults drink and fight) ...a good majorty of the town are crack-heads and pill heads ....seems like everyone these days are shootin up pills (roxys and oxys) ....dont make friends here because your stuff will be stolen under your nose and your children will be mistreated ...the people are selfish and have no ambition ...theres no sense of responsibility or self-worth ......if you have teenagers , you can expect your teenager to drop out of school , become an alcoholic and a pill head and fight dirty crackheads ...its just the life-style ...take it or leave it ........oh my god! downtown is f*cking horrible! dead stop traffic because of the horse and buggies and trolley trains ...they need to get rid of those 2 tourist events ..its not like 20 yrs ago when having horse and buggie wasnt an issue but were too busy for that nowadays .....heres some town mottos, "if it aint white , it aint right" ..or "st.augustine: come on vacation , leave on probation and return for violation" ...and family? ...i could care less to see any of my "family" ever again ....psycho f*cks! .....dont trust anyone here , even the ones that live in the "good neighborhoods" ..theyre all just a bunch of selfish , child-abusing druggies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville