Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerclassof72 View Post
OMG! A crime happened in Arlington! ... Bulldoze the whole area! ..... Jeez
I was just told two young men were just shot on Justina, Ill have the. Link if FTU makes one. Smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Justina and the low class apartments (TheVillager apts used to be the French & the Spanish Quarter Apartments) on it, are one of the major pockets of crime in Arlington.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:41 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Justina and the low class apartments (TheVillager apts used to be the French & the Spanish Quarter Apartments) on it, are one of the major pockets of crime in Arlington.
Its late in the year & I'm just hoping there are no more murders or rapes in Arlington. Enough is enough.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,583 times
parts of arlington are really pretty.. and techniclly arlington stretches to near the inter coastal (for instance, i live off of hodges and atlantic and my neighborhood is concidered south arlington) I moved to the heart of arlington when i first moved to jacksonville which is referred to as sin city which has its parts but isnt all dangerous. Just a bunch of middle class white and black people trying to survive. You can get ideas of where to look for housing online but its pretty easy to sum up where you do or dont want to live by simply coming here, renting a car and driving around.. Jax is like 50 miles wide so its pretty hard to name all the bad parts or good parts. Most people new to jax either move to south side area or the beach. You cant go wrong at the beach.. its the beach... mayport sucks but its not terrible.. downtown sucks.. and i mean all of it.. sure, during business hours its like any bustling town.. at night, it sucks.. this is coming from a white girl that used to stay in harlem during the summer by herself. Downtown jax isnt nessicarally dangerous, just a bunch of random bad **** happens there,

Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Well, not a "bunch".

More like occasional.

Not unlike any Downtown city.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Arlington used to be really safe back in the early 80s but things out there started to change around the mid 90s.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Jacksonville SWAT standoff in Arlington ends peacefully with arrest of attempted murder suspect | jacksonville.com

Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 AM

28 posts, read 68,011 times
Lightbulb The Dames Point Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I can remember in the 90 Arlington was a peaceful quiet area. Now it is the capital of all things wrong & evil in Duval. Where did all these bad people come from? Is it the people who were slowly clean out of Riverside & Springfield? , because I remember both areas being really rough in the 80s before both areas were gentrified. Arlington just needs a big walk built around it & keep those hoodlums in one spot. No one should ever bother fixing up that area.

Jacksonville police arrest roommates of man whose body was buried in yard | Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition

Wanna-be rapper sentenced to 20 years in attack on Jacksonville officers during Best Buy stakeout | Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition
As an Arlington resident who was around the area from the 50's through the late 80's and recently returned after living in Avondale - and then overseas for 5 years - I can honestly say there were few if any nicer places to build a family home before 1990 than Arlington. When I returned in April from the Philippines I decided to try living in my old neighborhood again for nostalgic reasons. I quickly learned that things have changed since the late 80's. It saddens me that my old "home sweet home" neighborhood is now infested with crack and meth dealers along with others of the most violent elements you can imagine. Just going to a local convenience store is like entering a combat zone.

There's been one major reason for this transformation: The Dames Point Bridge! The Dames Point Bridge was completed in 1989 connecting North Jacksonville with Arlington giving the criminal elements from the Northside easy and quick access to a new "target area" as well as easy access to the beaches. Since returning I've seen what you're talking about and am now trying to find a part-time job (I'm on Social Security Disability due to nerve damage from a back injury) on the Westside - around Avondale - so I can move to that area. It's much safer there.

All that being said the Northside still trumps Arlington as the most likely area to get killed or at least mugged. Arlington is a close second!

Old 08-17-2013, 10:36 AM

28 posts, read 68,011 times
Exclamation I LIVE in Sin City!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmynameishaleyx View Post
parts of arlington are really pretty.. and techniclly arlington stretches to near the inter coastal (for instance, i live off of hodges and atlantic and my neighborhood is concidered south arlington) I moved to the heart of arlington when i first moved to jacksonville which is referred to as sin city which has its parts but isnt all dangerous. Just a bunch of middle class white and black people trying to survive. You can get ideas of where to look for housing online but its pretty easy to sum up where you do or dont want to live by simply coming here, renting a car and driving around.. Jax is like 50 miles wide so its pretty hard to name all the bad parts or good parts. Most people new to jax either move to south side area or the beach. You cant go wrong at the beach.. its the beach... mayport sucks but its not terrible.. downtown sucks.. and i mean all of it.. sure, during business hours its like any bustling town.. at night, it sucks.. this is coming from a white girl that used to stay in harlem during the summer by herself. Downtown jax isnt nessicarally dangerous, just a bunch of random bad **** happens there,
Sorry but I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with at least part of your post. You mentioned having lived in "the heart of Arlington) and the Sin City area. Newsflash: I now LIVE in "Sin City" about 4 blocks from the old and somewhat dilapidated apartment complex on Hare Ave. known by that name. I live in this area for one reason - because I can't really afford to pay the rent in other areas of Jacksonville - I'm on Social Security Disability. Other than Arlington there are few places one can find a place to rent on an income of less than $1300 monthly. This area does have many lower middle class folks just trying to get by but it's also infested with too many dangerous types to count. Drug sales are common all along Galveston Ave. out in the open. I'm outta here as soon as I can find a part-time job and an apartment I can afford across the river in Avondale.

TRUE Arlington would be the zip codes of 32211 and possibly 32277; even those areas do have some decent pockets. Small pockets; yes. But pockets. Even those somewhat decent pockets are experiencing an enormous increase in criminal activity. As long as you have steel burglar bars a few big dogs a good burglar alarm and a gun I suppose Arlington is OK - as long as you don't go out after dark. (Sorry but my comma key is stuck !)

The area around Hodges and Atlantic is usually known as Intracoastal West and is not what people think of when they hear "Arlington". That area was nothing but a forest of pine trees before 1990. Some do refer to it as East Arlington - more often it's Intracoastal West due to the well-deserved stigma of the word "Arlington". Until I read your post I had never heard of "South Arlington". I do know what I'm talking about. I was a Realtor in the area until 2006.

That area where you live - actually the areas from Kernan eastward to the beaches and from Fort Caroline Rd. and the Wonderwood Expressway south to J. Turner Butler Blvd. - is indeed a very nice part of Jacksonville and offers all the amenities you'll need (except a mall) but to refer to it as "Arlington" while not totally incorrect is really stretching things. The home prices vary greatly from your area to the 32211 and 32277 zip codes and there are few low-end apartments where you live. There are plenty of CHEAP and run down apartments all along Merrill Rd. Justina Rd. and The Arlington Expressway - all in the 2 zip codes I mentioned above.

Regency Square - the only mall in the area - is a crime-ridden and dangerous place at night. That's the closest mall to your area. I'd advise against going there alone after dark!

Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM

Arlington is like the wild west of Duval County, I remember when the northside was the bad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: