Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:45 PM

98 posts, read 207,182 times

Advertisements

Wow, CoRK looks fantastic. I have a little binder that I'm keeping for when I move to Jacksonville and I'm dedicating a section for "things to do". CoRK is now in my binder and I've "liked" them on facebook. Thank you. This is so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMikey View Post
I'll acknowledge you every day I'm around...

Must say, I've not heard of CoRK. I would definitely consider it something for artsy residents and not a must-see thing for out-of-towners but if you have 99 more things up your sleeve that I've not heard of, I'd love to see them.
I didn't say they'd be "must dos" or that few people would know about them.

I responded to a poster who stated that there wasn't really "city culture" or "things to do inside" in Jacksonville, which is ridiculous.

Your average suburban Joe probably doesn't know about it though, because (a) it's not their lifestyle, they don't run in the same circles, read the same media, etc and (b) someone in <enter random generic suburban development here> probably has chosen that lifestyle on purpose and does not enjoy being close to culture, diversity, eclectiveness, frequent events, walkability and all the other things that make up "city culture". Those that do enjoy these things make a point to live where it is, and don't generally enjoy spending time in Wolf Arbor Creek, or whatever ironically nature-theme named subdivision is out there.

But, yeah. I'll start a thread for a sticky.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I didn't say they'd be "must dos" or that few people would know about them.

I responded to a poster who stated that there wasn't really "city culture" or "things to do inside" in Jacksonville, which is ridiculous.

Your average suburban Joe probably doesn't know about it though, because (a) it's not their lifestyle, they don't run in the same circles, read the same media, etc and (b) someone in <enter random generic suburban development here> probably has chosen that lifestyle on purpose and does not enjoy being close to culture, diversity, eclectiveness, frequent events, walkability and all the other things that make up "city culture". Those that do enjoy these things make a point to live where it is, and don't generally enjoy spending time in Wolf Arbor Creek, or whatever ironically nature-theme named subdivision is out there.

But, yeah. I'll start a thread for a sticky.
WOW.............your insight continues to amaze me. Your lack of knowledge and stereotypical type casting of suburbanites is equally amusing to your false sense of culture you feel you experience because you happen to live close to a downtown that has been teetering on the brink of total decay for over 20 years.
It appears to be impossible for you to post about the positive things going on downtown without going on a rant about how smart you are being there to experience it first hand and those of us that are not living the downtown experience first hand are below you culturally.

Your major US cities have something called transportation that has been around for years and years. This thing called transportation takes all of the suburbanites into the cities to work, play, attend all kinds of cultural and ethnic events. Not everyone can live in a thriving, vibrant downtown in most cities.........why......because it is unaffordable and out of reach financially for most to live there practically.

Now Jacksonville has what type of transportation to bring people in to it's downtown? It does have the Skyway.

Jacksonville does not care about an urban environment....people are just happy the way it is, heck we are busting the national trends with our suburban growth.

Have a great day and get yourself a Slurpee at the new 7-eleven downtown. That made for pretty big news here locally last night.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
WOW.............your insight continues to amaze me. Your lack of knowledge and stereotypical type casting of suburbanites is equally amusing to your false sense of culture you feel you experience because you happen to live close to a downtown that has been teetering on the brink of total decay for over 20 years.
It appears to be impossible for you to post about the positive things going on downtown without going on a rant about how smart you are being there to experience it first hand and those of us that are not living the downtown experience first hand are below you culturally.

Your major US cities have something called transportation that has been around for years and years. This thing called transportation takes all of the suburbanites into the cities to work, play, attend all kinds of cultural and ethnic events. Not everyone can live in a thriving, vibrant downtown in most cities.........why......because it is unaffordable and out of reach financially for most to live there practically.

Now Jacksonville has what type of transportation to bring people in to it's downtown? It does have the Skyway.

Jacksonville does not care about an urban environment....people are just happy the way it is, heck we are busting the national trends with our suburban growth.

Have a great day and get yourself a Slurpee at the new 7-eleven downtown. That made for pretty big news here locally last night.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
I'd be interested in the list as well.

You should create a new thread for it though. Could make a nice sticky when it's complete.
Unfortunately - there are a limited number of "stickys" in each forum - I think it's 2. But no reason people can't use this thread to post things they've done/enjoy doing.

For example - today we had lunch at the JAX pier. There's a new restaurant there - right next to the pier:

The Pier Cantina & Sandbar

I understand it is very crowded at night - especially during the weekends. But it is pleasant for lunch. Totally underwhelming Tex/Mex food - but a great view of the ocean. OK trade-off IMO. Then we took a walk on the pier. People were actually catching lots of fish. Mostly whiting and some baby sharks. But a 12 year old caught a 47 pound kingfish this morning - and he showed it to us. What a monster. For those of you who've never fished on the pier (we have) - note that the fishing rigs for stuff like whiting are totally different than what you use for kingfish. Don't expect to catch a kingfish on gear you'd use for whiting. Of course - if one were so inclined - you could also go to the beach/swim. JAX Beach isn't very crowded during the week (and will be less crowded during the week when the kids go back to school). Robyn

Old 08-10-2012, 04:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
WOW.............your insight continues to amaze me. Your lack of knowledge and stereotypical type casting of suburbanites is equally amusing to your false sense of culture you feel you experience because you happen to live close to a downtown that has been teetering on the brink of total decay for over 20 years...
I had to shake my head at this one too. I hate to "pull" rank. But - since I'm old - I will. I've been to just about every major 1st world city in the US and Europe (and some in Asia) - some multiple times. A huge number of the best art museums and cultural venues in those places. Have also dined at 100+ Michelin star restaurants. And I just don't know how anyone could confuse "culture" with a lot of what goes on in JAX - especially the downtown area and immediate environs.

Heck - the biggest fight going on in Riverside/Avondale these days seems to be about opening a Mellow Mushroom pizza joint (Mellow Mushroom is a chain franchise operation with 120+ locations - not exactly a "mom and pop" place) and providing for the parking its customers need:

Folio Weekly's News

I happen to side with the residents on this one. Who wants to come home from work/dinner and find someone blocking your driveway - and/or making noise on your street or barfing on your lawn at 1 am? I don't know why it seems that everyone is so opposed to building a multi-level parking garage that could encourage economic growth - while protecting the sanity of people who live in residential neighborhoods a couple of blocks away from commercial areas. Downtown Gainesville has a garage like that - and it's the difference between parking heaven and he** on busy weekends. Robyn

P.S. Next month - 8 days in Stockholm. Never been. Should be fun.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM

Robyn, The Pier has been open for sometime now. It just recently changed it's menu though.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:

If "on brink of total decay" is synonymous being named a Top 10 Neighborhood in America, The #1 Up & Coming Neighborhood in the South, being featured in many various local, state, national, and international press, and being more desirable now than in the last 50 years, then yes. On the brink. : )

Also, to correct you, I've never claimed i'm smarter than anyone or that anyone is below me cultuarlly.

Also x2, you are correct. Most cities have seen a huge urban reviatlization/gentrification trend over the last 30 years, which Jax has seen a little of, but not nearly as much. Hence the public demand. Hence the priority sea change coming to light in COJ policy.

Also x3, yes, transit to and from suburbia is a key component for most cities, and yes, most large cities urban areas are higher priced. Because Jax is behind the curve, this is not the rule yet. Yes, San Marco, Riverside, and Springfield properties (as well as DT itself) will be more expensive than some properties, but are still extremely affordable. There's mulit-million dollar houses to $50k, so you can pick your poison. Price is not a big factor yet. And commuter rail is planned to transport in & out, following the trend you mentioned.

Also x4, if you don't think "Jacksonville" cares about creating a desirable place for young professionals to live & work, increase COJ tax base, and decrease COJ maintenance costs, then you simply don't know what you're talking about. Read a newspaper lately? In the last 20 years? Now, it's visoion and wisdom has been pretty awful on how do this, but plenty fo dollars have been thrown at it. Thankfully, smart people are now gianinign more influence in this process, which will have good results.

Do you think Riverside magically came back just because? Do you think Springfield turned around by luck? Heck no. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ of COJ dollars. Of course, it was needed, as old infrastructure costs a heckuva lot of money to update.

By the way, there's more where that came from. Do yourself a favor and Google Neighborhood Stabilzation Program. You'll see this coming to light in the next 6 months.

But, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,504,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
But, I don't know what I'm talking about.
Finally something everyone in here can agree with!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:11 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Finally something everyone in here can agree with!

You have to give him credit though for standing up for what has to be an insurmountable amount of evidence that continually plays out against what he believes in. It must be so hard believing in something that doesn't exist.

The link below holds the truth:

Downtown groups say Jacksonville's core is in crisis, needs a new strategy | jacksonville.com

On another topic......interesting night at the Landing last night. Just another typical vibrant night of excitement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville