Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:54 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times

Advertisements

Yep!!! 4 games in London England!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Jaguars to play one home game a year in London beginning in 2013 | Jacksonville.com Mobile Edition

Haters gonna hate.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:27 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Haters gonna hate what exactly?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 AM

5,205 posts, read 6,142,795 times
I know am going against popular opinion, but I do not see much benefit to this deal. They say it will enhance Jacksonville's image...........I just do not see it. Business wise we have the port that might benefit but what else would there be? I think they need to build a solid fan base here first, as we have a lot of issues here involving ticket sales, no need to travel to London to build NFL fan support. All across the US NFL teams are having problems filling seats although NFL popularity is increasing. No other team stepped up to the plate for this schedule, Saint Loius backed out citing the need to focus on lease negotiations and ease fan discontent.

Kahn Quote:

Khan added that he would consider playing more games overseas after the deal expires in 2016. He also acknowledged that the payoff probably won't be seen immediately. He suggested that Londoners could fall in love with the Jaguars and decide to visit Jacksonville regularly. The ultimate goal, though, would be to have European companies spend millions in Jacksonville.
''If somebody builds a container port, if somebody makes an investment out of Germany or England or Netherlands and they chose Jacksonville, that would be a huge return from my viewpoint,'' Khan said. ''You could have people come here - we've got beautiful golf, weather - instead of vacationing in Miami or some place and they come up here and watch a game or two. That would be a huge return for me.''

I wish the Jaguars the best moving forward.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,847 times
^ this +5 internets.

Khan's business interests are in the midwest, not Jax. I don't believe the reason's he gave us for this series of games. Remember, he initially wanted to buy the Rams (as most of his ops are in that region of the country), but was turned down. NFL goon Roger Goddell has said numerous times he wants the NFL to expand globally, starting in London.

You're witnessing the beginning of the end of the Jaguars....and the community is too dumb to see it!

Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
I think it's a dumb idea if only because of this (relating to taxes):

http://reason.com/blog/2012/08/14/us...o-uks-taxes-on

Robyn

Old 08-22-2012, 04:11 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
but the players aren't getting a purse or endorsement relating from the game at Wembley, so I don't see how that applies in this case. They are getting the same salary they always do.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
The tax applies to your worldwide endorsement income on a proportional basis.

And the income tax works much like it does in the United States. If a football player from Florida plays one out of 12 games in Massachusetts - he will owe Massachusetts state income tax on 1/12 of his salary. Robyn

Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,506,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The tax applies to your worldwide endorsement income on a proportional basis.

And the income tax works much like it does in the United States. If a football player from Florida plays one out of 12 games in Massachusetts - he will owe Massachusetts state income tax on 1/12 of his salary. Robyn
haven't heard that one. My uncle pitched in the majors and never paid any state income tax other than MN when he played for the Twins.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:48 PM

The fact that London will see the Jacksonville Jaguars play every year as the home team is great, they should get some sort of Great Britain jerseys or something that pays homeage to London. 7 games in Jacksonville is not a bad thing it actually raises the value of each home game. Maybe the tarps can be removed now. London to Jacksonville flights at JIA? I can't be mad at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville