Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 06:30 AM

9 posts, read 43,028 times

Advertisements

I was raised in duval county. Me and my husband are in the army but I visit a lot and my sisters and friends and father still stay there. My sister is a teacher n her husband is a fireman and they had there house built in middle berg bc its cheaper there . She teaches n jacksonville n he is a fireman there as well and they drive there kids to a private sckool . They have 3 boys 10, 4, 1. Also I know a few doctors that stayed in eagle harbor and fleming island i think the name was that . There is a street called 220 and it's very nice and that is where a lot of doctors live its walking distance from wal mart a lot of retaurants and close to orange park mall. It is in between jacksonville and st. augustine. There are a few houseing divisions including eagle harbor around this area. U drive down 17 and going out of orange park toward green cove springs and there are some there as well then make a right on 220 and U will see the wal mart super station and sushi restaurant and a lot of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 AM

9 posts, read 43,028 times
mandarin area kernan almost all the places on south side blvd is a nice area. And it is easy to jump on the highway and go anywhere u r kinda near all there. ponte vedra is wonderful if u can afford it like they said john travolta lives out there with his family.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:22 AM

17 posts, read 91,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes View Post
mandarin area kernan almost all the places on south side blvd is a nice area. And it is easy to jump on the highway and go anywhere u r kinda near all there. ponte vedra is wonderful if u can afford it like they said john travolta lives out there with his family.
I did not know the Travoltas live out there.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM

53 posts, read 305,174 times
I understood John Travolta to live in Ocala.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palenciacondo View Post
I understood John Travolta to live in Ocala.
That's what I understood too - he lives in Ocala because he can keep his jets on site (a fly-in neighborhood). Though I would not doubt he keeps a beach house in PV or anywhere around here. He's in the area often enough - he films here (in Jax) when he can arrange it so he can be close to home.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 62,716 times
True, St. Johns County homes on average cost more than Duval County but is because a lot of people consider it more desirable. Hence more desirable = costs more. People wouldn't pay more money if they didn't fell it was a better place to live. There fore if the people think it is a better place to live then a home owner should get better appreciation on their home. People prefer St. Johns County for it's lower property tax rate, lower crime, and better government schools. A consideration is the dues to live in each community. Some have CDD (Community Development District), HOA (Home Owner Association), and O&M (Operation and Maintenance) dues. Some communities can be as high as $3,000 per year and some as low as $500 year. A community with out a CDD fee can mean you get more of a home since you don't have to pay the higher dues. All the communities you mentioned are good communities. I have heard Durbin Crossing is having trouble selling homes and is a new community. Nocatee does not have much shopping near it, but it is coming. The pioneers who get in Nocatee early will reap the benefits when all the infrastructure and amenities are in place. Worthington Park is considered a "move up" community from JCP (Julington Creek Plantation). I have 2 good friends who moved into Worthington Park and love it. It is a small community (about 150 homes) when completed, is gated and has no CDD fee. The lots are large too. 90' to 100' wide. Palencia was a very desirable community when the Real Estate market was better. i never understood the attraction to Palencia. While it is a nice community, it is in the middle of no where. I live in JCP and we love it! It is getting older and there is very little or no new homes available. Grocery store is 2-3 minutes and Target, Wal-Mart, and the mall are 10-15 minutes. Any of these communities will be about a 15 min drive to work for your husband, which is nice to have him close in case you need him.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:29 AM

5 posts, read 33,179 times
What are HOA dues like in different communities in St Johns County, 210 and WGV areas? We pay over $1600 annually. Some places are gated and provide different services, cable and or internet.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM

16 posts, read 62,716 times
It would take to long to go over the dues and fees for all the communities. I don't know all the communities, but I know most. Let me know which communities you would like to know about and I'll help you the best I can.
I would recommend staying away from communities that have cable, irrigation, and/or Internet included. It removes the power from the consumer. The service provider has less incentive to provide good service and if another company offers a better product which you want then you will be paying for the same service 2x (If you can even get the service). A provider that provides service in an entire community will not offer the subscribers any specials or incentives they are running. Some of the providers have an exclusivity deal with the developer when the community is launched. I can go on and on but if avoidable, choose a community where you get select who gives you service and how much you are going pay.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 PM

58 posts, read 170,830 times
Interesting point about the built-in cable/internet fees. There is a loss of choice, unless you can opt out of them, which seems unlikely. A satellite TV subscriber, for example, would be forced to pay for cable as well.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:48 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleclan View Post
I would recommend staying away from communities that have cable, irrigation, and/or Internet included. It removes the power from the consumer. The service provider has less incentive to provide good service and if another company offers a better product which you want then you will be paying for the same service 2x (If you can even get the service). A provider that provides service in an entire community will not offer the subscribers any specials or incentives they are running. Some of the providers have an exclusivity deal with the developer when the community is launched. I can go on and on but if avoidable, choose a community where you get select who gives you service and how much you are going pay.
I am not saying that this is incorrect but I have never heard of communities that forced you to use a particular cable or internet service. Irrigation, yes, is commonly included but that is no big deal...you need the sprinklers anyway. But to corner a homeowner with a cable or internet provider seems like something you should double check on. Now, I know that many homes come PRE-WIRED and then it is up to the homeowner to choose which service he or she wants. Alot of people opt for satellite.

But again, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville