Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan34 View Post
Could anyone tell me some basic facts about Orange Park? I am currently living in Syracuse, NY and have a job in the healthcare field.
The cost of living is what worries me the most. Is it possible to get a 2-3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home in a decent neighborhood in the Orange Park area for $300,000 or less?
Also what neighborhoods should I avoid? Crime isn't a huge factor for me since I've lived in Brooklyn, NY for about two years, but I would like to avoid the areas that seem to attract the drug dealers and other criminals.
I am also planning on having kids in the near future, would Orange Park be a good place to raise kids (mainly concerned with the schools)?
How is the traffic? As for traffic in Brooklyn, it usually took anywhere between an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. Is the traffic that bad in Orange Park?
If there are any other neighborhoods that you feel would better suite me than Orange Park please let me know. Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks
I have lived in Jacksonville and Orange Park for all of my life, except for the last three years. Right now my husband and I are living about a hour south of Orange Park, but we want to have children in the next few years, so we will be moving back to Jacksonville or Orange Park soon!

Yes it is possible to get a 3 bed 2 bath home in a nice area of Orange Park for $300,000 or less. As far as crime in Orange Park, there's not too much of that. Now, Jacksonville is a different story, but crime is very low in Orange Park for the most part. Yes Orange Park is a wonderful place to raise children. I would suggest that you check out Fleming Island. I grew up in Eagle Harbor on Fleming Island, in Orange Park. Fleming Island Plantation is also a wonderful subdivision. Eagle Harbor has an elementary school, Flemming Island Elementary (FIE has been an "A" school for 9 years). Eagle Harbor has a nice golf course, a few swim parks, tennis courts, side walks, etc. Basically everything you could want! Fleming Island Plantation has an elementary school, Thunder Bolt Elementary (Also an "A" school I think). They have a high school, Fleming Island High School. They have a nice golf course, pools, a YMCA, side walks, etc. All of the restaurants, shops, etc are right in between Eagle Harbor and Fleming Island Plantation. As for traffic, sometimes it's bad sometimes it's not. A lot of the main roads through Orange Park are 2 or 3 lanes and certain times of the day there is a lot of traffic. But that is something I will gladly deal with because I love the area.

Here are some websites that might be helpful..

Eagle Harbor
Welcome To Eagle Harbor Online

Flemming Island Plantation
Fleming Island Plantation- Homepage

Fleming Island Elementary
Fleming Island Elementary School

Thunder Bolt Elementary
Click on the door to enter our s

Fleming Island High
Fleming Island High School

Clay County Sheriffs Office
Clay County Sheriff Office
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:35 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
My shopping is done at the Avenues. OP Mall is too crowded and it's like some funny fashion show magazine seeing people all dressed up with no where to go.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
My shopping is done at the Avenues. OP Mall is too crowded and it's like some funny fashion show magazine seeing people all dressed up with no where to go.
titaniummd
have you been to the Towne center yet ?

Old 10-13-2007, 06:11 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
titaniummd
have you been to the Towne center yet ?
Yes, Karla, I have but I would love to have suggestions on where to park. Last time I went there, I parked near the Target/Game Stop. I didn't notice any high rise parking lots in the center (which I would have expected in an outdoor shopping 'center').

Old 10-13-2007, 04:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
Quote:
I did end up going to the OP mall quite a bit, but only if I needed something that I couldn't get at Target or a store like that, and only if it was a quick mall trip. I really don't like malls to begin with and I don't know why, but I have never really like the OP mall. Pretty much every time I have been there it's just been people hanging out by the movies, in and around the food court, etc. If I actually had to do some shopping, something that was going to take a little while, I would drive the extra ways to go to the Avenues.

Quote:
Yes, Karla, I have but I would love to have suggestions on where to park. Last time I went there, I parked near the Target/Game Stop. I didn't notice any high rise parking lots in the center (which I would have expected in an outdoor shopping 'center').
I do also like the Town Center, but I agree with you on the parking. Last time I was there I parked in that larger parking lot next to the Cheesecake Factory, but I had to park way away from the Cheesecake Factory because there were no closer spots. I LOVE the Cheesecake Factory by the way! lol!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:31 PM

when I go to the towne center I park either by Rennas pizza (lol no surprise there) or by dillards there is usually lots of spots
part of the interesting part is walking around
If you are planning on a long day shopping and eating I would just do the valet parking if you can't find a spot. this is also something I would recommend as we get closer to the holidays

not sure how much of this is true but I heard that the reason Macys isn't going to build in the TC is they refused to let them have an attached parking garage

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
when I go to the towne center I park either by Rennas pizza (lol no surprise there) or by dillards there is usually lots of spots
part of the interesting part is walking around
If you are planning on a long day shopping and eating I would just do the valet parking if you can't find a spot. this is also something I would recommend as we get closer to the holidays

not sure how much of this is true but I heard that the reason Macys isn't going to build in the TC is they refused to let them have an attached parking garage
Another good spot is by DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse......have you guys been in that place? It's h-u-g-e! ).

I think it's just part of the design of the new outdoor malls - they intend for you to walk a bit in the fresh air. It's why it is the preferred shopping design now instead of the indoor mall. The exercise, fresh air and sunlight are part of the appeal. It's how they are building malls all over the US now (outdoor "town" style).

A shuttle would be a nice addition though - then you could really get from one end to the other without having to move your car halfway through. It's already so spread out and they're only opening Phase II .

Hadn't heard that about Macy's (the parking issue). They're still running Macy's ads regularly on our local stations, so it sure looks like Macy's is coming. Hmmmmm.......

Old 10-15-2007, 08:26 PM

riveree
i heard another "rumor" that they were talking about the Macy's going into a new mall they are building near oakleaf
I wasn't even aware they were building a mall there.
another ad I have seen is for Ikea

Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
riveree
i heard another "rumor" that they were talking about the Macy's going into a new mall they are building near oakleaf
I wasn't even aware they were building a mall there.
another ad I have seen is for Ikea
I know Oakleaf is getting a new mall, but Macy's out there? I don't see it - there's just not enough population out there yet and the populations in the denser areas are not going to drive out there.....doesn't make sense .

Ikea ads on tv?! Now Ikea I would drive for .

Old 10-16-2007, 07:37 AM

60 posts, read 314,057 times
As mentioned several times, traffic on Blanding is awful...but, nothing you probably aren't used to. However, that can be mitigated by a good choice of where you buy in OP. You may have figured this out by the many suggestions. But, OP is pretty much a generic term for NE Clay County (or, SW Jax suburbs).

There is an actual town of Orange Park. It seems to be a slower, older community. However, there are several new "master planned" type developments that have been built just in the last few years. I can't speak from experience for most of them, except for the fact that most are a little south down 17. So, that means dealing with traffic problems getting to/from I295. Blanding (state route 21) also runs north/south and is the other traffic headache.

I moved from Pittsburgh a little more than a year ago and bought in Oakleaf Plantation. Oakleaf isn't as far south as the others. However, it's further west down Argyle Forest Blvd (off of Blanding). Argyle used to be a HUGE headache. But, they recently completed a widening project on it. Now, the only time it is bad is during AM rush where it connects to Blanding. Fortunately, though, it connects to Blanding almost right at I295. So, you avoid most of the mess traveling north on Blanding.

As far as Oakleaf goes, you can find plenty of beautiful houses in your price range. We bought a small 1,300 sf 3/2 house for a little less than $180k. You will find a good selection of larger homes for what you are looking to spend.

Oakleaf has its own pools, fitness centers, basketball courts, soccer fields, tennis courts, playgrounds everywhere, etc, etc. We have one new k-8 school open now, a new k-5 to open next year, a high school scheduled for 2010 and a few other new schools scheduled a little further out. Until recently, you did have to drive out to Blanding for any shopping/dining options. However, a large open air shopping center (Oakleaf Town Center) is currently being built. A few stores and a Chili's are already open. Most of it is still a few months away. But, it is looking very nice.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville