U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:54 PM

23 posts, read 81,206 times

Advertisements

Hello all -

I've finally settled on moving to Jacksonville -I want to attend an Educator Prep Institute to complete my teaching degree. Is it best for me to move first and then look for a job? I have searched monster, hotjobs, careerbuilders, and I'm not really having any luck. I am wondering how people can afford to pay like 700 - 800 a month rent, with wages like 9.00/hr?

Can someone give me some insight here?

Please don't just view! Respond!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 01:04 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,805,061 times
Places are hiring, but they don't want to pay much. Pay here is terrible in many fields and rent is high. I am definately getting tired of people calling me with $10-$12/hr job offers for IT jobs that would pay double-triple that elsewhere. I had to go up to $1000/month to find a decent 2/bedroom rental in an acceptable area. Just some of the many reasons that I am leaving Florida.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:02 PM

23 posts, read 81,206 times
Come on! There has to be a way. Am I in a Catch 22? I can afford to go to school in Florida - out of state tuition is cheaper than instate tuition in Michigan - yet I'm like how can you live there if you are single and live alone? $10 - $12 for IT? WHAT! Does everyone in Florida live with a bunch of roomates or what?

Old 10-09-2007, 01:40 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,396,015 times
Have you tried Jacksonville Jobs. Find a Job in Jacksonville Florida?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:09 PM

702 posts, read 1,030,041 times
As far as the IT field, I suggest you start applying with the financial shops (i.e. Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Fidelity, Bank of America, etc....). I know for a fact that they're hiring IT folks. There's also a bunch of opportunities for folks with financial backgrounds. I think Jacksonville is going to be the financial hub of Florida in the near future.

Some IT shops are in a hiring-freeze right now for full-time employees but are hiring contractors. The freeze is because they're bringing down their employees from their offices in the Northeast. But while these guys from up north are preparing to move, work still has to get done. Thus, the need for contractors. Start networking with reputable IT agents. You'll have a better chance of getting that first interview. Just get your foot in the door. Everything after that is up to you.

In these kinds of situations, there's always opportunities for employment. Don't concede the salary range right off the bat, thinking employers here in Jacksonville don't pay well. With the right communication and technical skillsets and number of years of experience, $75K to $100K is doable for full-time employees. For contractors, $40 to $45 per hour is easy. You just have to sell yourself. A lot of the hiring managers here are transplants from the Northeast. So this salary range is kinda cheap for them, if they find the right person.

Let me put it another way: the IT folks from the Northeast will be moving down here, most with their salaries intact. So obviously, the money is available. You just have to sell yourself and compete for the jobs. Confidence and a positive attitude always helps. Nobody wants to work with a person that gives negative vibes.

Here's a tip: Some of the bigger IT shops here in Jax get their contractors from Modis, Matlen Silver, TEK systems among others. There's tons of work available for the right applicant. But big companies usually only hire from their approved vendor list. Thus, the need for some reputable agents.

Here's another tip: A lot of the big financial firms here use off-site facilities for employee training. This way, they don't have to set up set up their own computer classes on campus. These computer learning labs are already set up. Start networking with the people that go to these computer learning centers. You never know what kinda lead you can get from them. You may even befriend someone enough that they'll do the employee referral program for you.

Ok. That's the novel for the day.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,549 times
Smile fastninja500 - Personal experience on your hints?

Hello,

I am new to the area having moved here in June. I have been working as a teacher in an ESE school since August, but due to circumstances I'd rather not describe, I have decided it is best for me to leave at this time. I am considering going back to IT.

I had a small business in Tucson, Arizona, doing just that. I am almost done with my Masters in Education, and will need to student teach, but there is that little issue of having to eat, and you know, pay bills, etc.

Fastninja500 you provided a lot of great advice, is that from personal experience? Might you also have some idea what is being looked for in these jobs you mentioned with the Modis, Matlen Silver, TEK systems? A temporary position maybe just what I need, at least until I can finish this Masters.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM

702 posts, read 1,030,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiegeek View Post
Hello,
Fastninja500 you provided a lot of great advice, is that from personal experience? Might you also have some idea what is being looked for in these jobs you mentioned with the Modis, Matlen Silver, TEK systems? A temporary position maybe just what I need, at least until I can finish this Masters.
Yes, I was/am speaking from personal experience. And no, I don't have specific Job postings to show. The obviouse ones are, in IT: mainframe skills, .NET & Java (for distributed). For admin, it would be finance, knowledge of the securities industry (stock market), mutual funds, etc... Just go the the agents I mentioned and see what they have.

I just wanted to mention to other forum members that there are a lot of of jobs available for people in certain fields, with the big firms around here. Don't get discouraged or desperate. Negativity shows during an interview. Positive, upbeat and dynamic is always a plus.

I can only speak of financial and pharmaceutical firms - Fortune 500 firms only. I was a free-lance IT contractor for the last 10 years before moving to Jax last June. One of the first things I do is get a feel for the new place I'm in, network and gather "intelligence", ... just in case I need to move out quickly.

I can't be specific about the company I work for, lest I get fired. Like other big firms, we do have some "big brother vodoo" software web bots that continually scans the web for good/bad/neutral postings about the company!

Here are some facts/observations:
- that our freakin' parking lot is so full at 9:00 am, I have to park 3 building away from my building. Or start coming in at 7:00 am.

- we're building a new 3 flr parking lot, but I think we'll be building another one next year. Cause that certainly won't be enough. There's still folks scheduled to come down here from the Northeast offices.

- that we're hiring people away from other firms already here in Jax. There's more competition now for employees. This is good because those firms that lose people will need to hire too.

- that all these "young 'uns" showing up is making me feel old ! But seeing all these young folks being hired is a good sign - we're hiring from local colleges and companies. I think we have a "new hire orientation every other week or something like that?!

- I've met several new hires that DON'T have a college degree, but have the necessary skills the company is looking for. If they're smart, they'll immediately avail of the tuition assistance program these companies have while they're here. That's like a raise right there.

- the people they're hiring are not just IT folks (computer geeks). Rather, it runs the whole gamut (admin, finance, etc...).

- with regards to IT folks, there seems to be an even number of contractors and employees on my floor. I've asked friends in the other buildings and they say the same thing. So if you can't get on as an employee, then get in as a contractor then make yourself valuable from the inside (if full-time is what you want).

A few suggestions:
1.) find a good agent to secure the interview. Or an employee of the company you're targetting to do the employee referral.

2.) be prepared for the interview. You'd be surprised how many people show up unprepared (i.e. don't know anything about the company they're applying with; don't know the industry?!; don't wear a suit; really bad hair;etc..). With the internet, there is really no excuse not to know the basics about the company you're interviewing with.

3.) don't underestimate your value. If you do get called back for a second or third interview, then you'll get a chance to discuss compensation. You'd better know what you're worth. Again, on the web, you should get a good idea of what you're skills are worth.

Lastly, and again from experience - sometimes, when a Fortune 500 company hires a lot of people fast, they may realize that they hired too many. It could be a year from now. It could be 6 months from now. Either way, unless the economy is going great guns, there will be lay-offs. Be prepared for that too. It's not personal. It's business.

With the 2008 elections looming, be prepared for the party in power to start talking down the economy.

Then again, the first priority is to get inside a company. You can worry about the layoff later. Hopefully, you would have made yourself valuable that they'll kick out the next guy.

Sorry, didn't realize this was SO long.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM

39 posts, read 182,384 times
work 3 jobs or start a business. Being an independant contractor is the only way to make money in florida.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:15 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,312,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaexchange View Post
work 3 jobs or start a business. Being an independant contractor is the only way to make money in florida.
or get an education or a acquire a skill that's in demand, plumbers and electricians make much more than $12 an hour and lawyers and accountants do much better than that, just because you have a BS degree doesn't mean you're worth big bucks to an employer

Old 10-18-2007, 03:29 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 835,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
or get an education or a acquire a skill that's in demand, plumbers and electricians make much more than $12 an hour and lawyers and accountants do much better than that, just because you have a BS degree doesn't mean you're worth big bucks to an employer
That should be phrased more like:

Just because you made more money someplace else, you shouldn't expect to make that same amount of money in FL, since the wages in FL absolutely suck and the housing costs are horrendous.

Yes, if you are dead-set on living in Florida at the expense of everything else in your life, then definitely choose one of the select handful of careers that will allow you to live in FL and still make a decent living. If you're more concerned with having the career you actually want rather than the state you happen to live in, understand that FL has very, very limited options and unless your lifes work happens to be in one of the select few fields where the "Florida Pay" is decent, you're probably better off almost anywhere else. FL has become a state like Maine, West Virginia or Arkansas. Yes, doctors make good money anywhere, Lawyers seem to get paid well, there's always a demand for nurses, etc, etc, etc... but unless your career falls into a very narrow "high paying service industry" category, your pay in this state is going to blow goats compared to anywhere else.

Even the careers that APVBGuy cited that "do much better than ($12 an hour)" in Florida still do much, much worse in FL than they do almost anywhere west of the Mississippi and above the Mason-Dixon. This is particularly pronounced in the higher tier trade jobs, where the pay in Florida is outright shameful compared to other states.

Yes, the pay in Florida really is that bad. It isn't a myth. Come here and see for yourself.

Last edited by LM1; 10-18-2007 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: