Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:07 PM

17 posts, read 37,676 times

Advertisements

We plan on moving out there by summer of 2014....so, we have plenty of time to plan it out and figure out where we want to live. By then my son will be entering high school and my daughter middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM

213 posts, read 312,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Anyone who says that Murabella is cookie-cutter doesn't know the definition of cookie-cutter. I have friends who live there and visit them frequently. There are 6 or 7 different builders in the community and they all offer various sized houses, plans and prices.

Again I would remind you to do your own homework and don't be swayed by people who think that their opinions should be your own. Trust the realtor, Peter the Brit. He is the local savant on SJC.
And that is why I very specifically qualified my statements as MY own opinions and MY observations. Because it is my feelings about the neighborhood and the OP will have their own when they get here.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM

615 posts, read 1,704,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Well, I will be impartial since I don't live in either. To suggest that elementary schools in Nocatee are that much superior to schools elsewhere in SJC is a bit of a stretch. All SJC schools have excellent rankings.

If you can afford a home in Murabella, you might not be able to afford one in Nocatee which is a higher-priced community. And rightly so, since Nocatee was billed as a more exclusive community with more amenities, etc until the housing crash and then the development in Nocatee came to a standstill. But you need to look at both and not be sold by people who live in one community or the other.
While most of the schools in SJC are excellent, if you are moving here specifically for the schools, some are better than others, particularly when you look at test scores. I did not say Nocatee schools are "that much superior", but when one is ranked an "8" and one is a "10", there is obviously some sort of difference and if schools are an important factor (as the OP indicated), it's worth a mention.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces1122 View Post
Thanks Hlauburn! We're not gonna rule out Nocatee. We still plan to go there and check it out. The place looks amazing from what I've seen on the Internet and on You Tube. I did read somewhere that they're opening up another phase soon..called Brookwood. But, it's at the southern part of Duval county. Just want to keep our options open and see what else is out there.
Definitely plan a drive through Nocatee when you're down here...I think you'd be surprised as what you can buy. There are several new neighborhoods opening up in a really wide price range. Brookwood will be in Duval County, so kids in there won't go to SJC schools like the rest of Nocatee. It's being "sold" as a starter home and empty nester type community simply because it won't have the draw of the SJC school system. Not sure what your price point will be, but you should check out Kelly Pointe and Greenleaf Village just to get an idea of pricing.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:39 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
While most of the schools in SJC are excellent, if you are moving here specifically for the schools, some are better than others, particularly when you look at test scores. I did not say Nocatee schools are "that much superior", but when one is ranked an "8" and one is a "10", there is obviously some sort of difference and if schools are an important factor (as the OP indicated), it's worth a mention.
hlauburn, I wasn't doubting you. I have always found your posts informative and credible. I am just saying that Nocatee has a lot more going for Nocatee than a 2-pt spread in elem schools. I like Nocatee. With so many other factors that go into buying a home in SJC with all the excellent schools around, a 2-pt spread would not be the one factor to sway a buyer. More likely would be one's budget when they are looking to buy.

Last edited by cricketfan; 10-16-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Right now our budget would be under $250,000. Great schools is a #1 for us. We may have to rent first if we do not find anything. But, with renting we're also concerned about pet guidelines....some places won't except pets other will only for certain weights or sizes or breeds, etc.. We really against giving up our dogs since they're a part of the family.

Btw, this may seem to be an odd question, but, are the streets well lit in the neighborhoods out there? Out here in AZ there's like no street lights at all. We have to walk our dogs using a flashlight and I really hate driving in pitch black darkness.

Thx again all of you for your inputs!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 PM

You can definitely get into Nocatee for $250k AND have your choice of several neighborhoods!

As for street lights - absolutely. We have a large street light every 2 or 3 houses. We walk at night, and I don't take a flashlight and I feel 100% safe. Not sure about Murabella, but I bet they have them too.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks that's good to know.
It's really frustrating driving n walking the dogs in pitch blackness. It's hard to be aware of your surroundings. The neighborhood is really nice n quiet. But, there are a few things that we've realized what we really want in our next house n community.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 PM

196 posts, read 425,420 times
In regards to walking the dogs at night in Nocatee, not only is it well lit, but there are also sidewalks throughout all the neighborhoods - might seem silly to mention, but we have two dogs and moved from an old established neighborhood that did not have a lot of sidewalks and we really like the sidewalks. It makes walking the dogs at night feel much safer! I don't know anything about Murabella, but know that you could indeed find a house in your pricepoint in some of the Nocatee neighborhoods. We have four kids (ages 3-10) and just moved here in August - mainly for the schools - and we could not be happier with our decision! Good luck with yours!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Thank you Acebab! We have quite a ways to go. But, we will make the right decision on finding the right place for us to live. It's an exciting journey...I can't wait to explore the neighborhoods out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville