Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:53 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,377,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
It's not gated (what's the point of a gate, byw?), but the Riverside & Avondale historic district, in Jacksonville, was highlighted by CNN a few years ago as great place to retire.

Here's the feature: Best neighborhoods to retire - Jacksonville, FL (19) - Money Magazine

And info about the neighborhood: www.riverside-avondale.com
Seems like every place in the world has been on a "best retirement" list at least once .

Anyway - I'd make a few points about Riverside/Avondale as a retirement area. First - a lot of the houses are 2 or more stories. That can be a deal breaker for many retired people (we've had long discussions about it on the Retirement Forum). Second - a lot of the houses are older. Some retirees may enjoy rehabbing This Old House - or doing maintenance on it - others won't. Also - as the article you linked mentions - there isn't much in the way of public transportation and the traffic can be bad.

Of course - none of these things makes Riverside/Avondale unique - but they are things a retiree should consider - especially if he or she wants to "age in place". Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM

43 posts, read 152,160 times
From my limited experience, gated communities have more activiites and more opportunity to get to know others sooner.

You are right Robyn. I would not be able to walk up and down stairs so it has to be a one story for us.

jbean, thank you for the link. It will be helpful!

We are on the road and I'm on limited bandwidth. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,123 times
If you want to press "pause" for a couple years, this new mixed-use Senior deveopment will be opening on Main Street in the Springfield historic district.

100 apartments on top, 2 commerical hubs on the 1st floor, club house, pool, etc. All within a very short distance to museums, concerts, festivals, sports, special events, etc. On a (rare) decent public transportation line too. : )

More Mixed-Use for Main Street? | Business & Development | News

Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
If you want to press "pause" for a couple years, this new mixed-use Senior deveopment will be opening on Main Street in the Springfield historic district...
Do you happen to know whether it's low income senior housing? Robyn

Old 12-05-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Do you happen to know whether it's low income senior housing? Robyn
If you were to read the feature, you'd see that it is not.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
If you were to read the feature, you'd see that it is not.
I read the article - and all it said was this:

Funded in large part by a federal tax credit program, with an estimated cost between $10-15 million, depending.

Perhaps I am missing something. Robyn

Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 AM

My apologies. It's not in there. This would be Affordable Hosuing, which fills the gap between low-income (ie, social programs) and comfortable income (ie, I can afford a nice place if I want it). Think $600-900 range.

Here's an example of affordable senior housing in the suburbs of Jax:

Leland Enterprises Inc. - Madison Manor

And this project will look more like these, found in other areas of the US...

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,476,323 times
will be interesting to see how that pans out.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
My apologies. It's not in there. This would be Affordable Hosuing, which fills the gap between low-income (ie, social programs) and comfortable income (ie, I can afford a nice place if I want it). Think $600-900 range.
Does that mean it's private? Only reason I ask is many people are always looking for inexpensive places to retire - and most public housing is limited to people who are already residents of the area (and the nicer places often have waiting lists). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville