U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:29 PM

26 posts, read 51,262 times
Default The Best Family Suburbs near Jacksonville, FL

Hello,
My husband and I are considering moving to the Jacksonville area for his job. We have two kids: one in middle school and one in high school. We want a small (population less than 20,000 would be ideal) family community with great schools, low crime, many families (we are in our 40's), and friendly. Our budget is above $600K. I am just a little nervous because I have heard of families who moved to FL and bought homes and unknowingly moved into retirement subdivisions. I just need to pick a somewhat affluent town with mostly families with young kids. Any advise will be appreciated! Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:40 PM

152 posts, read 87,155 times
My daughter and her husband are both physicians. They live in Orange Park...Fleming Island. I would begin my search there.

Unread 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,139,459 times
Where is his job location? That will narrow things down a little. Saying the Jacksonville area is a little vague as Jacksonville is one of the largest cities in the US (land size wise).

Unread 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM

26 posts, read 51,262 times
The job will be in downtown in Jacksonville. Thank you!

Unread 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM

589 posts, read 288,308 times
Commuting into downtown Jax, from Orange Park can be a GIANT pain in the rear. I'd think seriously, before fighting that mess, each morning and evening.

You've got a nice budget, that should allow for good location, good schools, and a manageable commute.

Why not try to get as close to the beach as you can? That's one of the primary things that makes Jax a special place.

I recommed the city of Atlantic Beach, and its surrounding area. It's a very nice livable city. About the population size that you're looking for, and with very good schools, and a low crime rate. The commute into downtown from there wouldn't be too bad either.

Check out homes in the Oceanwalk, or Selva Marina subdivisions. Queens Harbor is just outside Atlantic Beach, and is a very nice Country Club, with fantastic home deals, right now.

If I wasn't stuck where I am right now, due to the real estate market, I'd be in one of those areas already.

Good Luck.

Unread 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM

3,430 posts, read 3,683,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmliza View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering moving to the Jacksonville area for his job. We have two kids: one in middle school and one in high school. We want a small (population less than 20,000 would be ideal) family community with great schools, low crime, many families (we are in our 40's), and friendly. Our budget is above $600K. I am just a little nervous because I have heard of families who moved to FL and bought homes and unknowingly moved into retirement subdivisions. I just need to pick a somewhat affluent town with mostly families with young kids. Any advise will be appreciated! Thank you!!
It doesn't really work like that here.

Jacksonville is sprawling, and there aren't really any independent "towns" in the Jax area. Besides Downtown and a handful of historic neighborhoods, the area is mostly one huge suburb.

The closest thing to what you describe might be Fernandina Beach. It's a good 45 minutes + away though. That's a seperate town.

However, all your criteria can be found (sans the small town part) in a number of distinctive neighborhoods much closer to your work, which have their own independent little town feel, per se.

Check out the Avondale, San Marco, and Ortega neighborhoods. All are upper income, but within your budget. All are older, historic areas with lots of parks and character. Avondale and San Marco, especially, have their own little town squares (sort of), and are a center for culture, activities, dining, etc. San Marco and Avondale are about 5-15 minutes from Downtown, depending, and Ortega is about 15 minutes.

Details, details . . .

Avondale (half of the Riverside & Avondale historic district)

www.riverside-avondale.com

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...hoods-avondale

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...ale-photo-tour

San Marco

www.mysanmarco.com

www.smpsjax.com

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...ring-san-marco

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...n-marco-square

Ortega

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...-ortega-forest

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...ortega-village

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...toric-district

Last edited by fsu813; 12-07-2012 at 06:30 PM..

Unread 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM

451 posts, read 259,012 times
Quote:
Hello,
Ponte Vedra would be your best option for your price range and desire of A+ rated schools.
There are several excellent communities located there and I don't believe any of them are retirement
communities. (Marsh Landing, Sawgrass, The Players Club The Plantation and Olde Ponte Vedra)
Riverside/Avondale, San Marco and Ortega are great communities but none of them have the same
quality schools that St. Johns County/Ponte Vedra has. Unless your willing to pay tuition and go the
private school route. St Johns county is the highest rated school system in the entire state of FL.

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM

589 posts, read 288,308 times
[quote=fsu813;27252836]It doesn't really work like that here.

Jacksonville is sprawling, and there aren't really any independent "towns" in the Jax area. Besides Downtown and a handful of historic neighborhoods, the area is mostly one huge suburb.

The closest thing to what you describe might be Fernandina Beach. It's a good 45 minutes + away though. That's a seperate town.

However, all your criteria can be found (sans the small town part) in a number of distinctive neighborhoods much closer to your work, which have their own independent little town feel, per se.

Check out the Avondale, San Marco, and Ortega neighborhoods. All are upper income, but within your budget. All are older, historic areas with lots of parks and character. Avondale and San Marco, especially, have their own little town squares (sort of), and are a center for culture, activities, dining, etc. San Marco and Avondale are about 5-15 minutes from Downtown, depending, and Ortega is about 15 minutes.

Details, details . . .

Avondale (half of the Riverside & Avondale historic district)

www.riverside-avondale.com

Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale | Metro Jacksonville

Shoppes of Avondale Photo Tour | Metro Jacksonville

San Marco

www.mysanmarco.com

www.smpsjax.com

Urban Neighborhoods: Touring San Marco | Metro Jacksonville

Walkable Commercial Districts: San Marco Square | Metro Jacksonville

Ortega

Suburban Jacksonville: Ortega Forest | Metro Jacksonville

Walkable Commercial Districts: Ortega Village | Metro Jacksonville

Old Ortega Historic District | Metro Jacksonville

Earth to FSU

OP mentioned good schools being a top priority.

None of your suggestions make any sense, considering the quality of the public high schools that serve these areas. (Englewood, Wolfson, Lee)

And given the fact that the OP's children are already past the magnet schools entry point, magnets wouldn't be an option (particularly for their high school student)unless they are a military family.

Your comment regarding 'no independent small towns in the area', is also misinformed. Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach, Ponte Vedra, Orange Park, Yulee, all fit this description, and are within commuting distance to downtown.

I'm surprised you didn't recommend The Landing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-07-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:40 PM

166 posts, read 165,610 times
Quote:
Hello,
Sounds like you need to look into St. Johns. #1 rated school system and pretty safe, especially if you find a gated community. There are lots of subdivisions to look at with homes varying anywhere from the $200-800k range, and with your price point you should be able to find a pretty nice house or better yet rent first and build a new one.

I don't know of many retirement subdivisions around here, and that's interesting to hear as most retirement subdivisions have a minimum age for residents (i.e. must be 55+ to move there).

Commute to downtown is 25-40 minutes depending on when you leave.

Unread 12-08-2012, 06:40 AM

207 posts, read 143,806 times
I'd check out Marsh Landing in Ponte Vedra, Coastal Oaks in Nocatee, and maybe a few neighborhoods off of 210 (although your budget is well above the normal house price for 210), or some neighborhoods down in World Golf Village (King and Bear).

The above will be your typical more cookie cutter style suburbs.

If you're considering sending your kids to private schools and want to live in an older more historic district, like fsu813 said, Avondale and Ortega would be a good fit. Your budget also could get you into Epping Forest, although I don't know how family friendly that neighborhood is.

But like everyone has said, if you're doing public schools, you need to be looking at St Johns County (I work downtown and a lot of people move specifically into St Johns County to send their kids to public schools).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville