Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:33 PM

589 posts, read 847,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Right but you're the only one trying to use big words here.

As usual, you miss the point of what I'm saying.

Your example of numbers from the Rays just proves my point. They went from barely drawing anyone to hardly drawing anyone--even after winning regularly. It's easy to increase your attendance by 30% when nobody was coming before. And, guess what, those numbers dropped in the end--even though they're still a team which is winning and makes (or almost makes) the playoffs each year.

Oh, yes, they signed Longoria but let's look at all of the high-priced players they've let go over the years. One player doesn't make up for selling off your talent year in and year out. They did just trade away one of the best pitchers the franchise has ever had...because they knew they'd have to pay him. Yes, they got some (potential) talent in return but they won't realize that talent until sometime in the future (if ever).

It's about making money. Wins are a bonus. Teams aren't owned by egotistical rich boys like they used to be. Now most are owned (at least in part) by a larger group or corporation who's only interest in investing in a team is making money off the team. When you're talking about billions of dollars (in some cases) and hundreds of millions of dollars in most cases, it's all about making money.

A by product of winning usually is making money which is why you're mistaken in winning being everything. It is also the reason teams do fire coaches cut players, etc.--because winning usually equates to more money. But make no mistake, if they can make money without spending a bunch of money to win, they will.
You obviously never attended college, because you clearly never learned how to learn.

You show no ability to be able to properly analyze information, and come to intelligent conclusions, based on that information. There is no relationship between the data you reference, and the conclusions you 'reach.'

"Some people make up their minds, and then refuse to be confused by the facts."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:07 PM

336 posts, read 448,091 times
I have a fairly good friend, who used to be the CFO of the New York Yankees, during the 90's.

Naturally, we often would talk about baseball, and other sports.

What he told me was that Steinbrenner would do whatever it took, no matter what the cost, in order to win. When I made the comment that George wasn't like most of the other owners, my friend told me that I was wrong.

He said that by and large, all owners have made their money in other businesses or ventures, and that they didn't need their teams to make any money, in order to maintain their lifestyles. They bought the teams, mainly to stroke their own ego's. And the way for them to best do that, was to win. He said that a loss of a few million dollars to an egotistical billionaire, was just a drop in the bucket to them. They would gladly pay that loss, if it meant more attention, and more adulation.

So, there you have it, straight from the horses mouth. With rare exception, the team owners DO care about winning, over making a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville