U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:10 PM

18 posts, read 70,636 times

Advertisements

I have to ask if any one else has heard of this radio station called 'The Bargain Channel'? I found it randomly one day while driving around and thought it was unreal and I haven't been able to stop listening since. I just get such a kick out of it. They sell all sorts of stuff like meats and jewelry and services, but it's all done over the radio. I have such a hard time imagining buying some of this stuff with just a radio announcers description, but they sure seem to do well enough. If you haven't heard it at all yet, try listening and see if you aren't hooked, it amuses me and confounds me all at once. There have been a few times I have even been tempted to call in to get something, but I am just too chicken and too afraid that it is some kind of crazy scam. Does anyone know anything about them??? OH it's 92.1 FM in case you check it out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM

9,342 posts, read 16,607,603 times
OMG! It is great. It is a parody, but really isn't. If you listen at 5:30 am, they have an online garage sale and the characters that call in....some guy that is many times first online, you think he can't be for real. You want to see what he looks like and where he lives. And you can hardly understand a word he is saying.

And it IS addictive. I can't believe that I listen to it, but it is so funny. A co-worker has purchased things from them and had no complaints, but I remember a couple ofyears back they were investigated to misrepresenting jewelry.

You all must listen to it. It is a Jacksonville classic. And make sure to listen to the online garage sale- from 5:30 to 6, I think. But they frequently begin late, something that is unheard of in radio.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM

17,834 posts, read 21,710,098 times
kcr02
its very funny
I am not sure what side of town you live on but there are pick up offices on the west side and the southside.
The main station is out in Maclleny
You have to listen around 10 10:30 pm last time I listened the hosts where very entertaining

Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 PM

18 posts, read 70,636 times
You know what HIF i totally believe that about misrepresenting jewelry, but the other day I was listening, and some girl totally caught them in it. They were selling diamond earings at some unbelievable price (5 bucks) and I was stuck in traffic and I tell you I WAS SO CLOSE to calling, but then this girl calls and asks a very very important question...

"Are those snythetic diamonds?"

HOST: "Well, uh, i'm, uh, not, uh, sure. Let me, uh, look..... (silence) well you know what? I think they are, but let me verify that for you"

I wish someone would catch them on the vacations, there was one to vegas, two nights on the strip with airfare (at the stratosphere, not really on but close enough really) and it was like 50 bucks or something that made my eyes pop out of their sockets. There has GOT to be something wrong with that. There just has to be. And if there isn't, I am going to KICK MYSELF for not buying it.

I am so glad other people find it as amusing as I do! When I leave my car on to dump the garbage at the apt complex I turn my radio off so no one hears because I am afraid to get caught listening to it!! HAHA!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 24,042,934 times
Somehow, this show needs to be televised !

Soooo glad I'm not the only one with this guilty pleasure!!

Some of my personal faves:

(selling a can of hair mousse

'If your hair is curly, it'll flatten it out, if it's straight, it'll fluff it up....'

Well that is some miracle mousse!

(selling a jewelry item

'it's from the Victorian era (actually, she called it the Victorian "area" ), so it's really old, you know like B.C........'

Someone map out a timeline for this poor girl!

Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 AM

17,834 posts, read 21,710,098 times
"pink ice" jewelry is one of the "hot" items. You should hear the folks call in when they have this on.

Once they had a certificate for $7 to have 2 of those magnetic signs for your car made, I got one for a friend and it was legit.

What happens is companies give them "items" in exchange for advertising.

Most of the trips airfare is not included

The one thing they "sell" that really works my last nerve is the "credit fix" package.
They say that with this your credit problems will go away. It is pricey $200 to $300
the thing is they never mention that if your credit issues are legitimate they can not be removed. I have wanted to call them on this but have always been fearful of ending up on air in a "discussion" about this.

They do have a good deal on window tinting.

oh another thing to be wary about is on the appliances the washers and dryers that they are selling for $100 are very old models.
I knew someone who bought a freezer and the back was all rusted it took them forever to get their money back.

So just be cautious of what you might buy

lol some of the hosts really are entertaining there is one at night that always seems to have a runny nose lol you want to call and say "blow you nose already"
about 2 years ago the Folio did a story on the "bargain channel" complete with pictures
lol there was a lot of really big hair going on

This is very entertaining especially if your driving stuck in traffic or late at night

Old 10-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
"The one thing they "sell" that really works my last nerve is the "credit fix" package.
They say that with this your credit problems will go away. It is pricey $200 to $300
the thing is they never mention that if your credit issues are legitimate they can not be removed. I have wanted to call them on this but have always been fearful of ending up on air in a "discussion" about this.
I think Barbara took advantage of that herself, didn't she? I remember her pitching it and saying how she used it to fix her credit! Is she still on the air? Funny, Karla, I pictured the women with big hair.

I also like it when they ask someone in their studio a question and you can hear the person yelling the answer from what sounds like the back of the warehouse...or when someone calls with a question about a previous deal and you can hear them shuffling papers looking for the information. I guess they never heard of notebooks or, god forbid....computers! I just picture the top of the desk with papers strewn every which way, a single microphone jutting out from the middle.

I, too, turn it down when I think someone could hear it...how embarassing would that be?!

The past few months I have not been able to get it- don't know if they have lowered their power or what. I drove by the Beach Blvd. office on Monday and almost went in to take pix for you all...

WJXR...the way they say it- sounds like DubyaJexer. Too funny!

Old 10-24-2007, 12:16 AM

8,204 posts, read 24,042,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I drove by the Beach Blvd. office on Monday and almost went in to take pix for you all...
I have been there!! Yes! Call it a morbid curiousity, but I just had to see for myself. It's not far from us, and it was almost like a dare by my husband to walk on in (more of an "I told you so" than a dare, really ).

It was, uh, even less impressive that what you'd imagine. I didn't go all the way in, only to the front room, it was all a little strange. Like a low-rent doctor's dingy waiting room.....creepy .

Oh, I think Barbara is in the background now. I get her mixed up with her sister (as do many of the callers!), but one of them was getting hoarse a lot and losing her voice and was getting really pushy (on-air, mind you! how else would I know this???) about being taken off the microphone and working behind the scenes and she finally got her wish. I haven't heard eith of the sister on the mic in a while.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:35 AM

754 posts, read 1,803,238 times
The Missus is addicted to the Bargain Channel. She's gotten us some awesome deals on restaurants, though.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Pricebuster Paul has died

Today is the funeral for Pricebuster Paul. I heard a few folks mention it on air and googled to find out what happened. I found this post on another site:

For anyone that has not heard, pricebuster Paul died suddenly on Jan 20th 2008. As a listener of the bargain Channel, and customer, I was shocked to learn of his death. I know they are taking up a collection for his family at Mercantile bank and I just wanted to publically say that he is going to be missed as he and Discount Doug were what held the station together. I am sorry I never got to go to the remotes to meet Paul and I hope the cause of death will be made public.

Here is some info on the show with a pix of Paul:

On Your Side - Bargain Radio Channel Saves Listeners Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville