Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM

28 posts, read 132,012 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Jacksonville...Is this a good place to raise a family. Looking for nice middle class community with low crime and lots of things for families to do.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM

95 posts, read 425,818 times
I suggest you think long and hard prior to making a decision to move to Florida, much less Jacksonville. I have been here since 1982 and I can't not move from here fast enough. Things have changed so very much over the last 27 years. The wages are low here. Proprty taxes, utilities, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, the list just goes on and on. And don't forget if you move into one of these"planned comunities" you will have additional HOA fees and some even have CDD fees with are the highest I have every seen. Our crime rate is horrible, (Duval) schools are terrible. TRAFFIC a nightmare, need I go on. OH did I mention the extreme heat!!!! My husband and I are moving to SC or TN in the next 12 months. I am sooo over Florida. These are just my opinions, I am sure others would differ, but I have been here a long time and Florida is just not what it used to me.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,791,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdianne View Post
OH did I mention the extreme heat!!!! My husband and I are moving to SC . I am sooo over Florida. Florida is just not what it used to me.
LOL!!!!!!!!!

I'm not intending to challenge the overall statement, we all agree to disagree, but...lots of contradiction there.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:23 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdianne View Post
I suggest you think long and hard prior to making a decision to move to Florida, much less Jacksonville. I have been here since 1982 and I can't not move from here fast enough. Things have changed so very much over the last 27 years. The wages are low here. Proprty taxes, utilities, homeowner's insurance, car insurance, the list just goes on and on. And don't forget if you move into one of these"planned comunities" you will have additional HOA fees and some even have CDD fees with are the highest I have every seen. Our crime rate is horrible, (Duval) schools are terrible. TRAFFIC a nightmare, need I go on. OH did I mention the extreme heat!!!! My husband and I are moving to SC or TN in the next 12 months. I am sooo over Florida. These are just my opinions, I am sure others would differ, but I have been here a long time and Florida is just not what it used to me.
Wow! Last month you were going to start a new business here. What happened?

Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 AM

22 posts, read 176,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyarwood View Post
Thinking of moving to Jacksonville...Is this a good place to raise a family. Looking for nice middle class community with low crime and lots of things for families to do.
Thanks!
Ortega, Wesconnet, Murray Hill, are all nice communities.So is Julington Creek,parts of Arlington and Mandarin.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM

286 posts, read 1,227,491 times
There aren't alot of jobs in Jax, unfortunately. I know that I am harping on this in other posts, but it's true. At this time, we're looking at more layoffs with more of the larger financial groups during the new year. I'm not sure what your field is, but if you'd like to move here, plan ahead, have some substantial savings to get thru the lean times, and apply to jobs before moving.

If you're in the service industry, wait to move until the spring. Everything dries up around here during the winter months, and the snowbirds aren't known for their tipping (no offense!). Northern Florida is very seasonal. Everyone plays in the winter and then works hard during the spring and summer, since the tourism is high at that time. Much different than S. FL where the winters are warm. We see 30 degree temps in Dec., so the sunbathing is definitely not happening!

Good luck and if you decide to move to Jax, it's a beautiful place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville