Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,548 times

Advertisements

Hi All - I'm looking to purchase my first home and wanted to get some input. I've been looking at Mandarin area and really like the Bartram Springs area and like Bartram Park area. I've been searching for about two months and seems impossible to get a place, as they are placed on MLS they seem to be gone the next day.. Any input on area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 AM

448 posts, read 829,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by European83 View Post
. I've been searching for about two months and seems impossible to get a place, as they are placed on MLS they seem to be gone the next day..
Are you working with a realtor© , and if not why not? It doesn't cost you anything and it's their job to stay on top of all the new listings and guide you on your way.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
. Any input on area?
Extremely suburban. Far away from most cultural events, sporting events, concerts, museums, etc. Quiet. Car-centric. Lots of stucco. Virtually all new construction.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Hi All - I'm looking to purchase my first home and wanted to get some input. I've been looking at Mandarin area and really like the Bartram Springs area and like Bartram Park area. I've been searching for about two months and seems impossible to get a place, as they are placed on MLS they seem to be gone the next day.. Any input on area?
Bartram Park/Bartram Springs is a popular area, indeed. Not sure of your price range, but there are 33 active listings on MLS right now, 12 of which are under contract with contingencies. List prices among all of those range from $81k up to $242k. Investors are likely grabbing the lower-priced short sales and foreclosures, since they are cash transactions, and that's an easy place to get a property rented.

Like williamwebb suggested, if you're going this alone, you're losing out on some valuable help. Don't think that you're gonna save some money by going straight to the listing agent. The seller is likely going to pay the same sales commission, regardless of whether it's done in-house, or with a cooperating broker. Make sure you're financing is in order, too, prior to going to look at properties. No sense in wasting your time if you can't get financing.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 AM

285 posts, read 606,442 times
That area has a good elementary school, but terrible middle/high schools, from what I've heard. Most people i know who live in there with kids are planning on moving out before their kids reach middle school. Try anything in St. Johns county instead.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 AM

365 posts, read 644,824 times
I just have some general home tips.

#1. Don't skimp out on the home inspection. The longer they inspect the better. No one guy can truly inspect your home. But it would be nice to know some things up front.

#2. Forget the idea of a starter home. With home prices fluctuating. It's better to find a place you feel. That you could live the next 5-10 years. You don't want to be stuck in an upside down home in a neighborhood. That nobody wants to live in.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,548 times
Ok going to try to respond to all questions... I got pre-approved prior to me even starting the search. I have a Realtor and she's been helping, but I think i'm eager to get my place that I feel that I've done majority of the searching and hunting down. I'm single with no children so I'm not too concerned with schools systems right now, I'm more concerned on being somewhere I truly enjoy coming home to, and somewhere safe. @ ErickBoyd - I've seen probably about 10 of those listings and only one really stuck (bartram springs townhome) but my offer was not considered as a "cash" buyer got it. Springfield subdivision had 3 that i looked at and I completely crossed that one off, every single townhome had cracks all over the place!

Thanks all for your input :-)

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon4426 View Post
That area has a good elementary school, but terrible middle/high schools, from what I've heard.
That's simply not true.

For example, Twin Lakes Middle School is rated an "A".

Has been for sometime.

Need I go on?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 AM

232 posts, read 574,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
That's simply not true.

For example, Twin Lakes Middle School is rated an "A".

Has been for sometime.

Need I go on?
That's correct.

Bartram Springs Elementary = A
Twin Lakes Middle = A
Mandarin High = B (I think)

Old 03-31-2013, 09:39 AM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
It is always great having someone in your corner working for you but...........bottom line in today's world you have to be prepared to do the research yourself......leave nothing up to the realtors, financial brokers and inspection industry.

With Floridas market hopefully hitting bottom and seeing improvement the buyer rules in most cases.

Protect yourself and your money........go with your financial ability and needs not heart and emotion.

Good luck, Jacksonville is huge and has so many, many areas and lifestyles to offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville