U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 AM

2 posts, read 8,267 times
Default Lakewood area of Jacksonville

How do people feel about the Lakewood area of Jacksonville? My husband and I have been looking for a house for quite some time now. We like older, well established neighborhoods with character. We have been searching in San Marco and Avondale and just happened to drive into Lakewood. We found a couple of homes in Lakewood that we like, but we have some concerns about the neighborhood. Overall, the neighborhood appears to be run down, but there are well kept portions. People tell us that this is an "up and coming" neighborhood that is considered a desirable place to live in Jacksonville. Is there any truth to this statement? It appears to be a lower middle class neighborhood. Am I correct in that assumption? Any thoughts would help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 AM

9,342 posts, read 15,897,106 times
Love Lakewood, but it can be spotty. Not in a really bad way, though. The upside is that it is less expensive than San Marco (my first choice) and, IMHO, will only get better, so might be a better investment in the long run.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:15 AM

227 posts, read 650,835 times
I've always wondered what the boundaries of the Lakewood area are. Mirramar is easily defined But where does San Marco stop and Lakewood begin? How far south does it go? Is there a map of Jacksonville neighborhoods?

Old 10-25-2007, 12:32 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,161,232 times
Default Love Lakewood!

I've lived there, so I can shed a bit of light I think !

Great area! It's not too big, but spreads into 2 zip codes. The northern half falls north of University Blvd @ San Jose Blvd and that portion is zip code 32207.

The southern half falls south of University Blvd and is under zip code 32217.

The northern part - 32207 - is the older part, so the homes look slightly different. More off-grade brick and wood lap siding homes can be found here that date to the late 1940's. This side shares the San Marco zip and the homes are very similar.

The southern part - 32217 - was built in the 1950's and later, so more slab homes with concrete walls, flat roofs and carports can be found here, and thus, the price per square foot is a bit less on the 32217 side.

It's one of the few affordable areas where you can walk to what you need - 2 grocery stores (a Publix and a clean Winn Dixie), lots of restaurants:

Gene's Seafood, Tijuana Flats, Sekisui, Atlanta Bread, Great Harvest Bread Co, a Columbian restaurant (forgot the name), and a few others.

There are also little shops (jewelry store, toy store, antiques etc.) and a great Postal Annex (the nicest people run this place ). In short, there is a lot packed into the shopping district on University Blvd .

There's also a city park right there - Crabtree Park - with a tot lot, baseball field, basketball and covered picnic area. This is one of the part of Jax where there is public transportation (buses run regularly).

I know what you mean about the look of the area - some homes are immaculate, others look like they need some work. There are a lot of older folks still living in some of these homes and as they move on, new blood moves in and you start to see change. I can assure you though, it is a safe area. Keeping in mind this is a more urban area, so you will see people on the main drag who look a little street worn waiting for the bus, but I never, ever, ever had a problem here of any sort - it's a peaceful part of the city.

BIG NEWS: It's been announced that Publix will be building a NEW Publix on the old Albertson's site (currently boarded up). We don't know what will go into the old Publix location (there is currently a 30 year old Publix in the corner of University & St. Augustine road), but the new one should be nice and will have a full liquor store attached.

MORE NEWS: Around the corner, up San Jose a bit, ground has broken on Old San Jose By The River......it's going to be niiiiice and hopefully will spark some life into the old shops right there on San Jose Blvd:

http://oldsanjoseontheriver.com/index.php

This same builder owns other property in Lakewood and we should see something nice come of that in the next couple of years too.

There is also a new bank with retail going in on the corner of San Jose Blvd @ University Blvd, it has a good progressive urban look so far - this was a vacant lot for years, so I'm glad something nice is going in to help anchor that corner.

The city also has plans for redoing the streets, as they did for San Marco, in the coming years - this will really cement the revival of Lakewood.

One of the unique things about this area is that it's consistently been a working-class/middle-class area, it never became "cracktown" like a lot of other urban neighborhoods of Jax, so there is really none of that to overcome. Plan to spend a minimum of $175k to get on the better streets of Lakewood (and you can easily spend into the low $300's).

If you want a more urban feel, live just blocks from the river, and be nestled in nicely between San Marco and San Jose, Lakewood can't be beat .

Old 10-27-2007, 05:16 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,161,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in JAX View Post
I've always wondered what the boundaries of the Lakewood area are. Mirramar is easily defined But where does San Marco stop and Lakewood begin? How far south does it go? Is there a map of Jacksonville neighborhoods?
One hint to help with defining Lakewood is that nearly all the streets are named after colleges: Stetson, Cornell, Colgate, Mercer,......

There are exceptions, of course, and some streets - Graywood, Suwanee, Lakewood Circle, are definitely in Lakewood, but for some reason have non-college names .

The boundaries are, to the best of my understanding:

TO THE NORTH: Oaklawn Cemetary

TO THE EAST: St. Augustine Road

TO THE SOUTH: Christopher Creek (runs behind parts of Mercer Circle)

TO THE WEST: The River
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville