Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 01:45 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,227 times

Advertisements

Here's some pics so far, setting up and just getting started....

Beware the giant duck.

Last edited by fsu813; 04-17-2013 at 01:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 07:42 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
I'm not sure how much more clear it can get:

It's a 5 day festival.

It features technology, arts, music and other creative projects and ideas.

Inspired by Art Prize ands SXSW (google them).

Attendees can vote on who wins a bunch of money to fund their project/idea.

$1 mill available, $250k for sure.

Lot's of other things happening in the area to compliment the festival.

Go.

Walk around.

Bring your bicycle for convenience.

Vote for my friend's projects up there ^.

: )
I doubt BlackPeach2 and I have anything in common - but I wouldn't be harsh here in responding to him/'her.

FWIW - my husband and I are interested in science/tech - not so much interested in very large quilts or similar - or the latest garage band.

We spent a couple of hours today looking through the website - and the science/tech stuff for the most part didn't even look like a good high school science fair. Perhaps we are missing something? If so - please advise. We'll go one day unless the weather is awful - just because we think we should.

And - as far as BlackPeach2 is concerned - what are you interested in? I don't know you or your interests. Robyn

Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Here's some photos from yesterday.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I've heard it's the Jacksonville version of SXSW.
COOL!!! If it brings people out and about. I LIKES IT.

Last edited by 0nyxStation; 04-18-2013 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 08:44 PM

From today & tonight....

Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,504,907 times
good to see the city council using those seats.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:30 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,378 times
Very interesting.....

Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,483,492 times
Well - we went to One Spark today. For about 3 hours in the afternoon. A few comments. First - we avoided parking "downtown downtown" and parked out at the Stadium. The parking was free - and wide open. The shuttle service was excellent. This may not be the case over the weekend - but I'd at least give it a try. There are a lot of "downtown downtown" streets that are closed/blocked - and I don't think it's worthwhile hunting for a lot or a garage (especially on a Friday - when many are for monthly permit holders only).

My main criticism of the organization is that there isn't a map either at the event (or apparently on line) which lists all the venues combined with all the exhibits at the venues. There's a list of the exhibitors and a separate list of the venues - but not a list that combines the 2 in a simple format. Since this is a large event with a lot of venues and a lot of exhibits (and some things are for example tucked away on upper floors of office buildings) - a simple list like that would have been very useful. I did mention this to a few people (especially exhibitors hidden in somewhat out of the way places) - and a couple said they'd see what they could do. Note that when I registered my complaint at the event HQ - a young woman at the front desk agreed my idea made sense but said "we're only in our first year". I told her it was only Friday at 1 pm - and someone could probably get this done in 2 hours (1 hour to type - one to print). It would be a shame if people only hit a couple of major locations - and missed exhibits that were tucked away in lesser locations - especially because the exhibits are spread over a pretty big geographical area.

The exhibits themselves were a mixed bag (which I expected). I don't think I saw the next Google or Facebook - but there were some things that were of interest to us (and others that weren't). It's the first event of its type that my husband and I been to - and we had a fun afternoon just poking around and talking with people. Worth a trip downtown IMO.

Note that we had lunch at bb's (other side of the Main Street Bridge) - because I really like bb's (especially the desserts ). I don't think there are any restaurants downtown these days that I would like more than bb's. My husband and I aren't big fans of food trucks. And - although those that were there in the "food court" might have ok food - the seating area on the sidewalk was sparse and not very attractive IMO (and it was kind of dirty by the early afternoon).

If you're going tomorrow or Sunday - keep track of the street and bridge closings (I think the Main Street Bridge is closing at some point).

Overall - I recommend taking a "look see". It's an unusual event for anywhere - especially JAX. Robyn

Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM

From yesterday

Old 04-21-2013, 07:49 AM

From yesterday.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville