Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 17,574 times

Advertisements

The dilemma- the hubby got a job offer in Jacksonville. The problem with that is we heard from virtually everyone that we spoke to that it is a bad area and that makes me scared since we have a 6 year old daughter. We currently reside in South Fl, in a very diverse (culturally as well and racially area) and we love it. The median home price here is 400k+, and average salary 100k+. So we'd be looking to spend that much for a home.

What we'd be looking for is safety, family/kid friendly, diversity, excellent schools, and guard gated (i'd prefer it if the school was actually inside the community). I'd be so appreciative of anyone's insights.

Last edited by sunnydays1; 04-21-2013 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:36 PM

615 posts, read 1,706,596 times
There are plenty of safe places in/around Jacksonville! As with any city, there are unsafe places, but there are definitely neighborhoods that would meet your needs. Personally, I would narrow your search to St Johns County.

We live in Nocatee and love it here. I feel VERY safe, both in my neighborhood and in the places we go to eat, shop, etc close by. Check out Coastal Oaks and Highland Estates in you want a gated neighborhood. There is a brand new K-8 school opening up in 2014. St Johns County schools are some of the best in the state.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,248,524 times
The problem with that is we heard from virtually everyone that we spoke to that it is a bad area and that makes me scared since we have a 6 year old daughter.

Whoever you spoke to simply has no idea what they are talking about. Good grief.

What we'd be looking for is safety, family/kid friendly, diversity, excellent schools, and guard gated (i'd prefer it if the school was actually inside the community).

These are not gated, and don't need to be. They are also some of the best neighborhoods in the state of Florida. BTW, diversity & gated communities are the antithesis of one another.

Riverside & Avondale historic district - tons of press clippings of how great this community is. You if you's like to read any of the stories, I can give you a dozen thinks to them off of the top of my head. Just ask. Here's their website: www.riverside-avondale.org

San Marco - also a great neighborhood. www.mysanmarco.com & www.smpsjax.org

Also check out Ortega, San Jose, and Miramar/Granada.

Now, there are FAR more good neighborhoods than this in Jax, of course, but those are some of my favorites that fit your stated criteria (San Marco and Riverside & Avondale especially). Plus, they are relative close to most things of note.

All will have options in your budget, some far below (Jax is cheap).

The area that hlauburn mentioned is not even in Jacksonville, but about 30-40+ minutes away. It's kid friendly, as many neighborhoods are, but will not be close to much of anything and has very little diversity.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:53 PM

705 posts, read 1,568,647 times
What area of town will your husband be working? How close does he need to be commute wise? I don't have children, but I've heard many times that the best schools are in St. John's County. However, I've read that area is 90% white, so not very racially diverse and could be quite a drive for your husband depending on where he'll be working. Ponte Vedra Beach and Nocatee are there and you also might want to consider Flemming Island in Clay County.

Here's one recent thread about them. If you do a search of this forum you will find others:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...d-nocatee.html

Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,248,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The problem with that is we heard from virtually everyone that we spoke to that it is a bad area and that makes me scared since we have a 6 year old daughter.

Whoever you spoke to simply has no idea what they are talking about. Good grief.

What we'd be looking for is safety, family/kid friendly, diversity, excellent schools, and guard gated (i'd prefer it if the school was actually inside the community).

These are not gated, and don't need to be. They are also some of the best neighborhoods in the state of Florida. BTW, diversity & gated communities are the antithesis of one another.

Riverside & Avondale historic district - tons of press clippings of how great this community is. You if you's like to read any of the stories, I can give you a dozen thinks to them off of the top of my head. Just ask. Here's their website: www.riverside-avondale.org

San Marco - also a great neighborhood. www.mysanmarco.com & www.smpsjax.org

Also check out Ortega, San Jose, and Miramar/Granada.

Now, there are FAR more good neighborhoods than this in Jax, of course, but those are some of my favorites that fit your stated criteria (San Marco and Riverside & Avondale especially). Plus, they are relative close to most things of note.

All will have options in your budget, some far below (Jax is cheap).

The area that hlauburn mentioned is not even in Jacksonville, but about 30-40+ minutes away. It's kid friendly, as many neighborhoods are, but will not be close to much of anything and has very little diversity.
Oops. Gave you a bad link, it's Riverside Avondale Preservation, rather.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM

107 posts, read 218,980 times
As someone who just moved to Jax due to relocation, one of my concerns was the feedback provided by some(who didn't live here) that told me that it wasn't an overall safe metro area. As many have stated in this thread, that simply isn't the case. My advice would be to visit prior to the move 1-2 times to scout out a few neighborhoods, matching them to your needs. Depending on what's suitable for you, your options will vary greatly.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,301,168 times
You definitely want to stay in Duval County and avoid St. Johns County since you are looking for diversity. The ideas posted by fsu813 are what you are looking for.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM

615 posts, read 1,706,596 times
You probably aren't going to get ALL of those things you're looking for in one location. Yes, Duval is more diverse than St Johns, but St Johns is generally a safer area and overall has better schools, so it depends on what your priorities are.

Although I'm sure it has a lot to do with what you're accustomed to and knowing that anywhere in Jax is not nearly as diverse as South FL, my neighborhood is much more diverse than any other place I have lived. Most people who live here aren't "from" Jax - they've moved from all over the country (and world) - so it's a nice mix of people in my opinion, but I guess it depends a lot on what sort of "diversity" you're looking for.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM

392 posts, read 1,547,649 times
If your requirements are a 400K+ house and gated, then you might consider a country club, such as Jacksonville Golf and Country Club, Deerwood Country Club, or San Jose Country Club. There is also Epping Forest. It's gated, but I don't know if it's a country club. The first two are more suburban in nature and further out. The last two are closer in town in a denser area.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,484,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
You definitely want to stay in Duval County and avoid St. Johns County since you are looking for diversity. The ideas posted by fsu813 are what you are looking for.
I agree, plus we have no room in our schools for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville