Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Ponte Vedra Beach is a pretty small area. If you spend 3-4 days exploring it with an experienced realtor - I think you'll get the "big picture" - the "small picture" too. I can recommend a realtor. If you're interested - DM me.

If you're really into your orchids - well we get too cold here in winter for orchids outside. You'll need to look for a property where you can erect a climate-controlled orchid house. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM

110 posts, read 173,838 times
I am in Ponte Vedra now. The area is quite pretty but my first impression is 'not much to do here'. I like to browse museums, go the theaters, concerts and so far do not see it here. Am I missing something? I have also found the beach access to be rather limited compared to Jupiter, for instance.
Am going to St. Augustine tomorrow. Can anyone please compare living in Ponte Vedra vs. St. Augustine for me ? Robyn, yes,the orchids will need to be covered when temps dip below 55F.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,894,659 times
IMO, Ponte Vedra is a suburb of Jacksonville. The amenities you are looking for would be located in Jacksonville and they are somewhat limited when compared to most major cities. The City of St. Augustine is not a suburb of Jacksonville and has a lot more amenities and things to do than most like-sized cities. Beach access in St. Augustine is far more available than in Ponte Vedra. There is more than 10 miles of beautiful, safe beach with frequent access from just south of Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine going south to the Flagler County line.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssclulow View Post
IMO, Ponte Vedra is a suburb of Jacksonville. The amenities you are looking for would be located in Jacksonville and they are somewhat limited when compared to most major cities. The City of St. Augustine is not a suburb of Jacksonville and has a lot more amenities and things to do than most like-sized cities. Beach access in St. Augustine is far more available than in Ponte Vedra. There is more than 10 miles of beautiful, safe beach with frequent access from just south of Anastasia State Park in St. Augustine going south to the Flagler County line.
Thank you.. please can I ask a big favor? I am not ready to contact a real estate agent, because I really do not know where I want to settle, yet. Can you name a few streets/neighborhoods I should drive by just to get some feel for the area? I am looking for the usual -nice/easy to maintain 3/2 with a yard close to the beach/stores. I assume Jacksonville airport is the only option to fly overseas?

Old 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunka View Post
Thank you.. please can I ask a big favor? I am not ready to contact a real estate agent, because I really do not know where I want to settle, yet. Can you name a few streets/neighborhoods I should drive by just to get some feel for the area? I am looking for the usual -nice/easy to maintain 3/2 with a yard close to the beach/stores. I assume Jacksonville airport is the only option to fly overseas?

Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach are in Duval County. Mostly residential and closer to Jacksonville itself and the airport. Jacksonville Beach south of 22nd Ave South and east of 3rd Street(A1A) is a real nice residential area and because of one way streets you don't have the traffic of other parts of Jax Beach. This was mostly concrete block ranch homes but many are being updated or gutted. My brother in law lived there for many years. Its real close to JTB( SR 202) the expressway to I-95 that can have you in downtown Jax in 25 minutes outside rush hour for cultural events downtown or the museams. UNF does have some events as well and it is maybe 10 minutes from Jax Beach

(If you do not have children in school no need to consider St Johns County-- Ponte Vedra, St Augustine for the schools) The beach access in Neptune Beach, Jax Beach and Atlantic Beach is much better than Ponte Vedra Beach. Closer to the Jax Beach pier is the area that has the day-trippers etc.

I don't know a whole bunch about St Augstine streets to name but Anastasia Island and Vilano Beach are on the ocean. St Augustine addresses include much of rural and suburban St Johns County.

If your are in St. Augustine you will be not too far from Sanford and Orlando airports. There are more flight options and some better deals out of Orlando airports due to the tourists. Flying internationally I don't think Jax has any regularly scheduled international flights... There are flights to Puerto Rico but to quote Westside story.. Puerto Rico's in America. There used to be a flight to Toronto and the Bahamas.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
You *should* contact a real estate agent. No obligation on your part. And the agent can steer you in the right direction if you give him/her your info. At least in PVB - you won't be able to get into any gated community without an agent (unless there's a "community open house" or similar). I have a favorite agent here. Dee Walker - now at Sotheby's. She knows PVB like the back of her hand. She's 100% honest too. But if you want a company that covers the whole metro area - try Watson (multiple offices all over).

There is pretty much no such thing as a 3/2 in my HOA. Minimum is 4/3. Don't know about other areas.

JAX has pretty much zero in the way of non-stop overseas flights. I use Delta and UA - and hub through Atlanta or EWR. We flew JAX/EWR/Stockholm last September - JAX/ATL/Toronto last week - and will be flying JAX/ATL/Tokyo in a few months. If you're looking for non-stop flights - JAX shouldn't be your first choice in terms of a place to live. FWIW - I've only flown out of MCO a couple of times - because it has non-stop flights to some major destinations like London. Usually - flying out of MCO isn't worth the trouble. Robyn

Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I am in Ponte Vedra now. The area is quite pretty but my first impression is 'not much to do here'. I like to browse museums, go the theaters, concerts and so far do not see it here. Am I missing something? I have also found the beach access to be rather limited compared to Jupiter, for instance.
Am going to St. Augustine tomorrow. Can anyone please compare living in Ponte Vedra vs. St. Augustine for me ? Robyn, yes,the orchids will need to be covered when temps dip below 55F.
Florida overall has little in the way of museums worth frequenting. And NE Florida is no exception. In JAX - there's the Cummer - MOSH - MOCA - some smaller ones too (like the Karpeles Manuscript Museum). In St. Augustine - there's the Lightner (not a big deal) and some smaller "take your house guests there" museums like the Government House museum. Owning an Entertainment Book is nice if you have house guests .

In terms of theater - concerts - and the like - just about everything big deal is in downtown JAX (although the amphitheater in St. Augustine has some decent stuff). There's smaller deal stuff (and the occasional big deal thing) scattered around the metro area at places like UNF and the like (we saw the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra and Savion Glover - best living tap dancer in the world - at UNF).

There's plenty to do/see/attend here - but don't confuse the JAX metro area (or any part of Florida) with midtown Manhattan. On the other hand - plenty of non-stop flights to NYC .

BTW - are you talking about "Ponte Vedra" or "Ponte Vedra Beach"? Robyn

Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 PM

232 posts, read 573,744 times
If you're going to look in St Augustine, check out Seagrove. The houses are all Key West style and fairly close to the beach (7 or 8 blocks, but you do have to cross A1A).

Old 06-26-2013, 04:48 PM

Robyn, thank you for all. I will contact Dee, just did not want to waste the real estate agent time but your recommendations puts me at ease. Agree, MCO is just too far. Flying non-stop is almost impossible from any airport these days, including Miami. Now, I fly out of PBI ( Palm Beach) and change in Philly or Newark.
Am staying at Ponte Vedra Inn& Club, Ponte Vedra Beach. Just drove around this area and to Atlantic Beach and back. That is all. I admit, am lost.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post
If you're going to look in St Augustine, check out Seagrove. The houses are all Key West style and fairly close to the beach (7 or 8 blocks, but you do have to cross A1A).
No problem crossing A1A.. I will check it out. Thank you for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville