U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:51 PM

44 posts, read 70,680 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, me and my son will be moving from Maine in a couple of weeks. We found an apartment really cheap on Silver Street in Springfield in a historic house. How is Silver street in regards to safety, crime etc?

Thanks I really need to find a place quick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 AM

10,604 posts, read 15,404,579 times
Is it like this? This is a suspicious one looks like Springfield LOL There are a couple ok streets there that I know of but my knowledge is limited and I would not make it a first choice for a woman with a child.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3880728866.html

I don't know that area but this would be a thousand times better IMO. (if it's legit) Even THOUGH it's one bedroom. Appears to be a one br with some kind of enclosed room that was a front porch if you could get by with that being YOUR br ? LOL.

Also that one pic looks like a formal dining room you could use. ? Call the guy this is a good area. I lived there on the other side of St John's and I'm picky. Of course you NEVER know till you get there but maybe someone could cruise by for you at least. I moved or I'd offer.

How old is he?

Avondale 1 Bedroom Apartment

I'm giving you these ONE bedrooms that are cheap just so you see areas that I am confident in - I know the buildings specifically, I haven't found two bedrooms yet but you could do a short lease maybe too

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3821866900.html

I would have to see this street it's a couple blocks past where I normally look but the area is convenient and generally safe. Riverside near Publix and all the stores.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3870108807.html

How desperate are you? do you have a car? 1/1 $495

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3870116007.html

LOL I walked by this one every day of my life. It's funky but ok. a block from the river with a tiny pocket park and a convenience store on the corner and other stuff on San marco Blvd. YOu do not want to walk around in the dark, though until you get your bearings even though it's generally fine in fact San Marco is very popular. My client lives in an expensive condo 4 door down so you could meet them and their dog LOL.

I know this one too. SECLUDED but with neighbors. Just no stores . In Avondale. 1/1 again. Right off of St Johns below the park. With car, convenient. Maybe too secluded with all the trees though.
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3870125446.html

Darn, there are no two bedrooms on CL cheap so I'll check the next price range and if I find anything I'll post it for you.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-20-2013 at 12:51 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM

Finally! 2/1 $625. Riverside MAY be a lil sketchy I can't swear to this street or picture this building but I still think it's better than all the way in Springfield off the top of my head.

RIVERSIDE 1ST FLR APARTMENT FOR RENT.

Then:

Applicants must have a minimum combined monthly gross income of 3 times the monthly rent.

How about 795? One BEDROOM PLUS BONUS ROOM I LOVE these buildings and tried to move there but none available. Riverside at the river a half block away. Last time I drove by they were still nice. Southern charm ish.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/apa/3827938693.html

Old 06-20-2013, 01:16 AM

This could be good.

2/1 Riverside 675 @Park/Osceola Good price for that with central air and has security system/ceiling fans. Not my favorite street but it's fine. I cant guarantee there aren't a couple deferred maintenance houses or whatever there but I don't remember exactly.

Great Riverside Upstairs unit with HARDWOOD FLOORS!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 AM

Thank you for your help, My son is 17 and likes his privacy. So the one bedrooms would not work for us. I am trying o sty around 600 and mos places seem to want 3 times the rent in income which can be very discouraging. I also found these... ... Concrete Block Home on 1/2 acre

5237 Cruz Rd, Southside, 32207

Cute house completely remodeled

how are these neighborhoods? Cruz RD looks nice

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
Thank you for your help, My son is 17 and likes his privacy. So the one bedrooms would not work for us. I am trying o sty around 600 and mos places seem to want 3 times the rent in income which can be very discouraging. I also found these... ... Concrete Block Home on 1/2 acre

5237 Cruz Rd, Southside, 32207

Cute house completely remodeled

how are these neighborhoods? Cruz RD looks nice
HA I was hoping your son was a baby/toddler LOL. Oh well.

Yeah it does look nice. I don't know those two areas. For example, I've been to the stores on Normandy and a vet's office but not off the main streets. Someone else here will know for sure. And the Springfield one. the Springfield one you mentioned is pretty far in Springfield further away from Downtown than I'm familiar with.

I hit street view on google maps and it looks like a normal residential neighborhood (College). Cruz Rd on street view looks really nice but I can't see that property but I'm looking quickly. I do see a lady walking her dog LOL.

Concrete block one -4836 Park St I can't picture the street by Blanding but is somewhere I've driven a million times and would consider. Roosevelt right there has some shopping and it's just across Roosevelt to Avondale. I Lived close by on St Johns and went to Roosevelt right there all the time and the major shopping like Target is about 15 min south. It's the type of thing that usually Park is a mix of homes and commercial (while I forget this particular area if I was even on Park there) so the building may be in the middle of commercial or next to a loud bar or something. OR NOT.

Florida is weird you can have a street of perfect and a few bad or street of bad at the end of the perfect street hahaha. If someone offered to drive by any of these it would be helpful, obviously

Now that I know more, definitely try this one (caveat, you never know if it's "legit" on Craigslist or if the houses next door are funky)

CALL THIS GUY:

I worked in this area a couple of times,it says "Westside" but it's Murray Hill and close to Avondale right under the highway you see there. The Avondale zip code 32205 goes up that way so people used to call me from there. Murray Hill is trying to become a new popular area, I'd say. I worked on Dellwood, for example and went by that ice cream place they all reference in their listings haha. I probably drove past this unit 40 times just can't remember so....anyway call about it. Maybe someone will do a drive by for you.

If you are commuting anywhere you can jump on major roads close by too so it's convenient.

Great Rate - Convenient- 2BR/1BA Apt - Westside - Water Incl in Rent

I'm fooling around on Craigslist looking now before I go to work

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-20-2013 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,479,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verenda View Post
Hi everyone, me and my son will be moving from Maine in a couple of weeks. We found an apartment really cheap on Silver Street in Springfield in a historic house. How is Silver street in regards to safety, crime etc?

Thanks I really need to find a place quick.
The Springfield historic district would be fine. It's an up & coming, transitional neighborhood with lots of parks, diversity, culture, walkability/bikeability, social events, and with a few popular cafes & biz sprinkled about.

The historic district is runs from 1st Street to the South, 12th Street to the North, Boulevard to the West, and Ionia Street to the East. That's the neighborhood. Silver Street runs from W. 3rd Street (very nice) up North and outside of the neighborhood. So it depends. Inside the district it's a popular place, outside the district to the North not so much. So, what's the address of the rental your son is considering?

For more information about the Springfield historic district:

Visit www.myspringfield.org and www.sparcouncil.org

"Like" https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sprin...R/307036889004

"Follow" https://twitter.com/SPARJax

Or read all the various national, state, and local press about the community here: Press & Media - SPAR Council

Old 06-20-2013, 08:16 AM

3,530 posts, read 7,479,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Is it like this? This is a suspicious one looks like Springfield LOL There are a couple ok streets there that I know of but my knowledge is limited and I would not make it a first choice for a woman with a child.
DOWNT/S.MARCO/RIVERSIDE. $399 SPEC..HIST.DUPLX 3/2B WASH/CH&A

Actually, that duplex is in a great area of the neighborhood.

Hint: know what you're talking about before giving advice.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Actually, that duplex is in a great area of the neighborhood.

Hint: know what you're talking about before giving advice.
HINT: Read what I write before trying to be snarky.

I SAID I did not know that area - Silver St which ends at 12th - 4 blocks from Martin Luther King Pkwy and other people would. Yeah, I'd move there [/sarc]

The listing I posted of course is "suspicious" like everything else on Craigslist. There's no street even named or intersection but it's cool you have all the houses memorized by sight.

There's NO RENT AMOUNT even LISTED FFS. The 399 is a first month special. Then it's "BEST OFFER" WOW Must be really NICE That they have to advertise "best offer". Who the hell that's a serious landlord says "best offer"??? LMFAO. Who is it that doesn't know what they're talking about?

And no, Springfield is NOT the first choice for a single woman relocating knowing nothing.

I notice you made NO comments on all the other properties she asked about or other recommendations so your goal to just be sarcastic to me is immature and obvious.

You aren't the least bit interested in helping the person relocate with confidence you just want to talk about YOUR opinion of "areas". Transitional favorite areas of yours.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-20-2013 at 09:05 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Actually the Springfield apartment is at the corner of 5th and Silver. Thank very much for your help, I am also going to call about the one next to the ice cream place. I am going to try to find out more about the Springfield one. Does anyone know anyone on that street that could maybe drive by for me? it would be greatly appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville