Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 AM

17 posts, read 99,615 times

Advertisements

As a new arrival to Jax, Ive found the food prices in the grocery stores here much higher than farther south, such as West Palm Beach or Orlando. Maybe I haven't found the stores here with cheaper prices yet. What other stores are there than these? Usually the small Hispanic chain grocers have some very low prices on fruits and vegetables but I haven't found any of those type here yet. Im not looking for high-priced organic grocers. Although Im not Hispanic, the Hispanic grocers usually have the loss leader produce selection.

WalMart
Publix
Winn Dixie
SaveALot
IGA

I see there are no Sedanos, Aldi's, Presidente, Monterey in Jacksonville such as they are in central/southern FL. For example, 1 or more of those stores have bananas every week for 25c/pound, but in Jax they go for around 59c/pound.

So, what LOW-PRICED PRODUCE grocery stores in Jax have I missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM

227 posts, read 391,156 times
Check out the farmers markets, especially the one on Beaver St just west of downtown.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Yeah Beaver Street. Produce/Veg was a problem for me in both quality AND price as has been for ME all over Florida. It must wilt on the trucks or something, I don't get it. And I'm not living on Whole Foods prices.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:19 AM

410 posts, read 602,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I'm not living on Whole Foods prices.
Yes, but you could live longer with a better quality of life incorporating their selections into your diet.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM

BJ's wholesale sells cheap produce.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6 View Post
Yes, but you could live longer with a better quality of life incorporating their selections into your diet.
Dude you missed my statement about fruit and vegs? I'm a vegetarian and dog walker walking at least 5 miles a day. I bet I eat more dark leafy greens and veg in a day than you eat in a week - probably just in my smoothies not including my meals.

I'll keep that in mind the next time someone in a 700K condo tries to bargain me down from my already reasonable and customary prices then want even additional services for FREE.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Dude you missed my statement about fruit and vegs? I'm a vegetarian and dog walker walking at least 5 miles a day. I bet I eat more dark leafy greens and veg in a day than you eat in a week - probably just in my smoothies not including my meals.
Yeah, I missed that...props to you for keeping yourself in good shape as well as having an entreprenurial spirit. I would certainly hire you to walk my dog but I enjoy doing it myself as its a nice "escape" from the battle axe of a wife/crazy kids.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind the next time someone in a 700K condo tries to bargain me down from my already reasonable and customary prices then want even additional services for FREE.
Being cheap their whole lives is probably what enabled them to end up living in a 700K condo in the first place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville