Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 12:11 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,882,092 times

Advertisements

Isn't tween under 13? No way.

My FIRST trip to Home Depot in Vero Beach day two living in Florida I "met" someone insisting on loading my mulch, a real close talker annoying guy. Ok I blew him off and of course didn't accept any HELP or even engage him and he was just talking away blah blah blah overly friendly...whatever.

Got home that night, shocked to see there is a dedicated sex offender channel here and was all "ha ha ha".

Guess who was on the TV? THAT GUY! He lived two blocks from the HD and 4 blocks from me. He had a sign on his car "Husband For Hire"

It depends on the children if I'd even let a "tween" go with a "teen" but only if the teen was ultra responsible and street smart ANYWHERE now. I'm from Philly, not exactly a "naive" place but especially with daughters NO. It's not just adults but other boys too old for them that could be a problem and alot of other issues IMO. Plus their state of mind being all excited moving to party state Florida.

I lived in Jax 4 years and didn't find it scary at all, just my typical opinion of anywhere that's a major place and not some mid western laid back town (which I've never lived in so I have no clue about that either haha)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Isn't tween under 13? No way.

My FIRST trip to Home Depot in Vero Beach day two living in Florida I "met" someone insisting on loading my mulch, a real close talker annoying guy. Ok I blew him off and of course didn't accept any HELP or even engage him and he was just talking away blah blah blah overly friendly...whatever.

Got home that night, shocked to see there is a dedicated sex offender channel here and was all "ha ha ha".

Guess who was on the TV? THAT GUY! He lived two blocks from the HD and 4 blocks from me. He had a sign on his car "Husband For Hire"

It depends on the children if I'd even let a "tween" go with a "teen" but only if the teen was ultra responsible and street smart ANYWHERE now. I'm from Philly, not exactly a "naive" place but especially with daughters NO. It's not just adults but other boys too old for them that could be a problem and alot of other issues IMO. Plus their state of mind being all excited moving to party state Florida.

I lived in Jax 4 years and didn't find it scary at all, just my typical opinion of anywhere that's a major place and not some mid western laid back town (which I've never lived in so I have no clue about that either haha)
You seem to have a lot run-in's with creepy guys in parking lots and dark alleys...

Old 07-12-2013, 02:07 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,882,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
You seem to have a lot run-in's with creepy guys in parking lots and dark alleys...
LOL no just memorable ones. This goof in Home Depot. The crack head trying to grab my dog walking client in front of 11 East at 2 PM. And the 3 high speed freak girls in San Marco around the Alexandria Condos asking me "can I borrie a dollar" around 9 PM.

OH and the crime episode by the Alexandria at Palm that showed up on the tracker right on the corner of the street I dog walk on every single day at that time 3:30pm , next to the house I did a consultation in with 8 dogs and filthy interior.

So that's 4. Dog walk business all over especially at night?... you see all kinds of things. When I moved here the overnight clerk at Riverside/Avondale Walgreens at King told me don't go through the park by Publix at night but don't be afraid of the bums either because the bums there saved him from getting mugged by the crack heads.

I also saw naked people having sex in the hallway in a downtown highrise so it's not just dark alleys HAHAHA.

Sometimes I think people never pay attention to their surroundings or go anywhere except their house, car, work, and store. I'm from Philly and a dog walker - I pay attention to my surroundings.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-12-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,138,658 times
I don't think there would be a problem at the town center. Drop em off.. Just make sure they have a cell phone and leave em for a few hours.

It it were my kids I would probably wait until they were 14-15 girls or 15 boys

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2013, 10:06 PM

26 posts, read 151,611 times
Thanks everyone. Think I will chaperon my daughter everywhere for now til she drives.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:02 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,475,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
As long as they don't have access to your bank account, I would say it's safe enough.
Ain't that the truth .

And to the OP. I'm 65 - and used to take the bus into Manhattan from New Jersey with my girlfriends when I was 12 to go to the theater.

The Town Center is perfectly safe during the day for children assuming they know how to cross streets with vehicular traffic (which I assume children in middle school know how to do these days unless they're mentally disabled). I think the worst that can happen is a bad sunburn (assuming lots of walking with exposed areas of skin and no sunscreen). No reason not to allow your kids to dine/shop there alone (although I certainly wouldn't suggest that they walk from the Town Center to Tinseltown - it's kind of far - and not a "pedestrian friendly" walk IMO). Robyn

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
I don't think there would be a problem at the town center. Drop em off.. Just make sure they have a cell phone and leave em for a few hours.

It it were my kids I would probably wait until they were 14-15 girls or 15 boys

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk
Just FWIW - I started college when I was 16. Don't think I would have been ready for it if my parents insisted on accompanying me everywhere until the ages you suggested. Robyn

Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,888,779 times
I'm fairly cautious when it comes to my kids. That said, I would be o.k. with dropping off my 14 or 15 year old off at Towne Center as long as they were with a friend and had a cell phone.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:20 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,273,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Ain't that the truth .

And to the OP. I'm 65 - and used to take the bus into Manhattan from New Jersey with my girlfriends when I was 12 to go to the theater.

The Town Center is perfectly safe during the day for children assuming they know how to cross streets with vehicular traffic (which I assume children in middle school know how to do these days unless they're mentally disabled). I think the worst that can happen is a bad sunburn (assuming lots of walking with exposed areas of skin and no sunscreen). No reason not to allow your kids to dine/shop there alone (although I certainly wouldn't suggest that they walk from the Town Center to Tinseltown - it's kind of far - and not a "pedestrian friendly" walk IMO). Robyn
Well, the worst that could happen is they get robbed or abducted. Both have happened to adults during the day there. So don't encourage naivity. Crime can & does happen everywhere, just need to be careful and aware, and enjoy life with common sense.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Well, the worst that could happen is they get robbed or abducted. Both have happened to adults during the day there. So don't encourage naivity. Crime can & does happen everywhere, just need to be careful and aware, and enjoy life with common sense.
Just because "crime happens" doesn't mean you should lock up your kids until they're old enough to go to college. I tend to think that exposing kids to the real world at relatively early ages (in smaller or larger doses depending on the age/maturity of the child) helps them to grow up. And - like you say - to learn to be "careful and aware" - and to "enjoy life with common sense". The OP has to determine what he/she thinks her kids are ready for (some kids are ready for some things before others). It's not a "one size fits all situation" IMO.

FWIW - my husband and I tend to be on the opposite end of the age spectrum compared to kids - but we're similarly vulnerable because we're older - and my husband walks (pretty slowly) with a big leg brace and a cane. We've never had any issues with the Town Center (except it's too darn hot in the summer). My father is 94 - walks with a walker - and goes to the Town Center alone to shop. He's never had any issues either (except he thinks there's too much traffic at the Town Center - OTOH he is always amazed at how polite people are here compared to people in south Florida). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: