Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,977 times

Advertisements

Moved here due to relocation of work, I was raised in Miami, lived in Atlanta and most recent NYC. What is there "fun" to do here? Seems dead

help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,125,212 times
Life is what you make it.

If you like being outside visit Jacksonville parks.

Hike Bike , jump in the ocean

Visit riverside an San Marco

Go to jax zoo

Kayak hogans creek

Disc golf

Shop at the town center...

So much to do.

Sent from my HTC DNA using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM

25 posts, read 52,207 times
Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to do in Jacksonville - especially compared to the places you've lived before. There isn't a very strong nightlife scene (at least, none that I've ever found). Walking around Riverside and San Marco can be nice - there are quite a few small shops, restaurants, and bars in the area to check out. See a movie somewhere. Check out the Town Center if you feel like shopping. The zoo is nice once in a while, and the beaches are pretty great, but other than that, there's not too much going on.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:49 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,256,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samananana View Post
Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to do in Jacksonville - especially compared to the places you've lived before. There isn't a very strong nightlife scene (at least, none that I've ever found). Walking around Riverside and San Marco can be nice - there are quite a few small shops, restaurants, and bars in the area to check out. See a movie somewhere. Check out the Town Center if you feel like shopping. The zoo is nice once in a while, and the beaches are pretty great, but other than that, there's not too much going on.
That's like saying besides going to Madison Square Garden or touring Rockefeller Center there's nothing to do in NYC.

You should educate yourself on the many, many events, festivals, showings, sports, activities, etc that go on in your own city.

Give me category, i'll give you 10 "things to do" in short order.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,256,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrod86 View Post
Moved here due to relocation of work, I was raised in Miami, lived in Atlanta and most recent NYC. What is there "fun" to do here? Seems dead

help!

What do you like to do for fun?

That will make it easy to answer your question.

Some people like art galleries & open mic readings, others like kayaking & dance clubs.

What are you looking for?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM

515 posts, read 621,900 times
You're a hillbilly now, act accordingly. Drive to the beach in your 4x4 and learn to fish and hunt...

Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco!

Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,835,559 times
I had these links on my computer from when I lived there to get you started LOL. No there's no Beyonce concert coming up but the Beibs is scheduled haha.

It's a quiet city, more like the deep South than "Florida"...but there are some things to do and some interesting rich history if you like that type of thing. For awhile Jax was bustling and even was I think, the predecessor to Harlem before so many people migrated up North. And the city screwed around with people's neighborhoods and lives.

Then A fire in 1901 pretty much destroyed all the downtown neighborhoods. Florida History Library, University of Florida The Great Jacksonville Fire of 1901 | Metro Jacksonville
Facts & History About Jacksonville, Florida - Visit Jacksonville
To Hell With the "Harlem of The South"..Harlem was the Jacksonville of the North
Lost Jacksonville: Sugar Hill | Metro Jacksonville

https://www.facebook.com/makeascenedowntown
Best Things To Do in Jacksonville, FL - AOL Travel
Jacksonville Festivals - Cultural Events in Northeast Florida - Visit Jacksonville
RIVERSIDE ARTS MARKET
Events » St. Johns Riverkeeper
Jacksonville, Florida - Historic Sites and Points of Interest
Jacksonville Florida Entertainment, Live Music Concerts & Landing Events | Night Out & Things To Do In Jacksonville Florida
concert calendar in jacksonville flJaxEvents.com
THEATRE JACKSONVILLE - LITTLE THEATRE. BIG VOICE.
Alhambra Dinner Theatre Jacksonville, Florida
Official Website of the City of Jacksonville Beach, FL | City of Jacksonville Beach
Great Attractions in Jacksonville Beach, Florida
Jacksonville metro area, FL Events This Weekend - Eventful
The St. Augustine Amphitheatre
Jacksonville Jaguars, Official Site of the Jacksonville Jaguars
Georgia-Florida Rivalry - The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party - Florida vs. Georgia Football Game
Jacksonville Museums & Art Galleries - Art in Northeast Florida - Visit Jacksonville
First Wednesday Art Walk - Art Walk in Downtown Jacksonville
Things to do in Jacksonville - Lonely Planet
2013 Jacksonville Jazz Festival schedule | jacksonville.com
The Jacksonville Historical Society
History | Metro Jacksonville
Five of the Most Amazing Things About Jacksonville | Metro Jacksonville
Visit Jacksonville - Black Heritage Tour
African American History of Jacksonville, Florida
Historical Text Archive: Electronic History Resources, online since 1990
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacks...42223149156255
Riverside Avondale Luminaria | jacksonville.com
Jacksonville Light Boat Parade | firstcoastnews.com

Old 07-13-2013, 09:31 AM

705 posts, read 1,570,348 times
Quote:

help!
Well, to be fair, JAX metro area is not even close to those places in population.

Miami metro = 5.5 million
ATL metro = 5.5 million
NYC metro = 19 million

JAX metro = 1.4 million

So..., yes by comparison, it's dead. Also, you're now in " The South" being 30 miles or so from GA, so things have a little more conservative, family oriented slant to them. However, all is not lost. It takes some adjusting, but you can still do most things you can do in larger metros, just to a lesser extent.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 10,107,257 times
Quote:

help!
What do you want to do? You looking for other young professionals (assuming you are one as well)? I think Jax is pretty decent for "things to do," the adjustment is that you'll have to seek it out. Activity is not as concentrated as you'll find in NYC (or to a lesser extent ATL and MIA) and everything is spread out so there's a lack of connectivity. But you should be able to find most anything that matches your interests somewhere in this city.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,152,751 times
They clearly like to make uninformed posts, ask for help, and then never come back. Fortunately, you can do that everywhere on the Internet no matter where you live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville