U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,910,789 times
Default driving from Houston to Jacksonville

How long does it takes?
any tips on what to avoid,...etc.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 AM

266 posts, read 1,066,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
How long does it takes?
Thanks
It will take about 15 hours with bathroom breaks, food stops, and good traffic. There's not much to avoid since you will be on I-10 pretty much the whole way. At Baton Rouge, you will want to get off of I-10 and take I-12 north of New Orleans then get back on I-10 at Slidell, LA. If you follow I-10 south of the city, it will add about 2 hours to your trip. You might hit some traffic around Mobile, Pensacola, and Tallahassee but that would be it, barring an accident. The rest of the trip is smooth, yet boring.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
If I remember right, as you approach Baton Rouge from your side, there is a long stretch of swamp. You're elevated above it, and it's pretty, but it's really long.....wouldn't want to run out of gas there .

Old 11-10-2007, 03:49 AM

227 posts, read 659,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckardc View Post
It will take about 15 hours with bathroom breaks, food stops, and good traffic. There's not much to avoid since you will be on I-10 pretty much the whole way. At Baton Rouge, you will want to get off of I-10 and take I-12 north of New Orleans then get back on I-10 at Slidell, LA. If you follow I-10 south of the city, it will add about 2 hours to your trip. You might hit some traffic around Mobile, Pensacola, and Tallahassee but that would be it, barring an accident. The rest of the trip is smooth, yet boring.
Exactly. It's an easy, boring, 15 hour trip. I've done it a few times and I've never had a problem. My only tip is to take a couple of books on CD.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:14 PM

131 posts, read 371,773 times
Cool Enjoy the Trip!

Houston to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, makes a nice one day:
Clear Sailing, Houston-Baton Rouge-Gulfport
Low flatlands and large swamps. If you have the time, food is great along the Baton Rouge-Mobile Section, look for Mom and Pop restaurants with lots of cars... Local stuff like Crayfish and Cajun Rice is excellent.
Photo opportunity for nature West of Baton Rouge
Keep in mind this is the poor and underdeveloped inner South and keep your street smarts alert.
By all means stay on I-12 cutoff, some confusion in Baton Rouge, WATCH SIGNS
Mississippi Welcome Station is very nice if you make it while open
Lots of good hotels all along the I-10 in Biloxi-Gulfport, but you never really get into town.
Gulfport-Jacksonville is great but watch speed in the MISSISSIPPI, Mobile and Pensacola segments.
Mobile can be somewhat confusing, when approaching tunnels, WATCH SPEED! They MEAN IT!
Great nature shots on Mobile Bay, good clean outlet malls and eats East of Bay, first exit.
Pensacola, again your above town, but nice and clean area. Best Waffle House in USA. Pensacola-Lake City, is gentle rolling hills with some vistas, very pretty pine and scrub country, lots of opportunity for canoe trips with outfitters EVERYWHERE. Crestview-Marianna is perhaps best.
Nice Best Western at DeFuniak Springs
Marianna, if you have the time, has the Florida Caverns State Park, one of the best.
Marianna and Tallahassee have nice clean stops and in each case, your out of town on the super-slab.
Lake City, last chance gas before the run to JAX.
Jacksonville, you enter on the industrial West Side, North of the Interstate is NW side and more blighted as you get into town. Blow through to I-95, stay downtown, Omni or Hyatt, or head down 95 to JTB or Bay Meadows and pick a hotel if you need a place to stay.
Good luck and let us know how it goes. If you like history spots, I can post that too.

Ocklawaha

Old 11-11-2007, 04:01 AM

17,800 posts, read 21,152,771 times
Ocklawaha
thats some great information
I see your new here so welcome

karla

Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Ocklawaha
thats some great information
I see your new here so welcome

karla
Ditto !

I've seen your posts on metrojacksonville, glad you're popping in here too .

Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 AM

4 posts, read 17,055 times
Default driving time

About 7 hours depending on your route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar31 View Post
How long does it takes?
Thanks

Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM

50 posts, read 90,353 times
I just drove from Tucson, AZ to San Antonio, TX.
It was 13 hours which is approx. the same amount of time you need to complete your trip.
Take soda, candy and music.
LONG LONG LONG DRIVE!

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 AM

859 posts, read 2,433,394 times
Get your car checked out for long travel. Check weather forecast. Bring car cell phone charger. Eat light during travel. Plan ahead on where you might want to stop for breaks. Feel sleepy? Pull into some busy shopping center and get some rest. Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville