Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,765 times

Advertisements

So my wife took me out for dinner last night to celebrate my upcoming birthday (not much to celebrate as I get older ). Anyway, she wanted to try something we don't do all of the time. So she found Good Food Company. They're on Atlantic in the strip where Big Air is. I didn't even know there was another restaurant in there so it was quite a surprise.

The place reminds me of the many smaller places up in the NE (where I'm from) which aren't chains. A little more expensive than say, an Outback (but not by much) and a more, "mature," menu if you know what I mean.

We started with their onion soup and some calamari. The onion soup was super hot (too hot, IMO) but tasted good. Was a little too buttery but still had a nice flavor to it. The calamari was just plain awesome. Perfectly-cooked, not too small, not too big and not heavy breading like so many places around here like to use. Just plain right.

I had a NY Strip with summer vegetables, red potato mashed and a mushroom cognac (got that on the side as I hate mushrooms but my wife said it was great). My wife got Lamb chops with mint vinagarette and fresh spinach tossed with red onions, tomatoes and feta. The lamb chops were pistachio crusted.

My steak was cooked perfectly. They used basil to season the steak--something I do--although they used a little too much for my taste. But it wasn't unpleasant.

My wife loved the lamb, was cooked perfectly and was delicious (in her words).

We had a bottle of zinfandel with dinner and had dessert--she had a blueberry bread pudding and I had their chocolate brownie with peanut butter icing. She loved the bread pudding. The brownie was good but had a crust on top and was HUGE! The brownie is enough for a family of 4 to be quite honest (it was only $6).

Anyway, our bill came to $125, which, considering we had a bottle of wine, isn't bad at all (the bottle of wine was $58).

Service was good (no complaints) but I can't say it was excellent. Again, no complaints but it could have been a little better in a few minor areas. Nothing to keep us from giving a nice tip for sure.

Was very nice eating there, was a mix of people (old and young). Not a bad atmosphere either. Sort of industrial but not in-your-face industrial.

Overall, we really liked it and plan to go back. The best part is it's about 5 minutes from where we live.

If you're looking for a nice date night place (you could bring kids there but it's really not that kind of place), this isn't a bad spot to go. If you're trying to impress that someone special, this is not a bad place for that sort of thing (for here in Jacksonville) without spending twice as much at a place like Ruth's Chris.

Just thought I'd pass along a good spot to have dinner (or lunch).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 06:47 PM

139 posts, read 409,724 times
Thanks Rick,

Now I'm starving...

Happy Birthday old man and many more!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post
Thanks Rick,

Now I'm starving...

Happy Birthday old man and many more!
Thanks. i'm getting old but it sure beats the alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: