U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 PM

9 posts, read 12,492 times

Advertisements

have some prelim. questions:

- are there nice neighborhoods to live in the vicinity of their office? can you provide any names of apartments or condos?
- what is the public transportation system like?
- should i be overly concerned with crime? (apartment or car getting broken into, getting mugged? city-data says crime is terrible there
- what is nightlife like? restaurants any good?
- what is the dating scene like for a single male young professional?
- is it hard to get around town without a car?
- are there places to get a haircut by someone who actually knows what they're doing like at a NY salon? or are there only $10 supercut type places?

i'll bring out more questions as they come...thanks in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:31 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,811,625 times
All of the answers are Yes and No, for any city actually, until you tell us where the office is and where you'll be living.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:08 AM

146 posts, read 194,450 times
Deutsche Bank is located at;
8120 Nations Way
Ste 207-210
Jacksonville, FL 32256
in the Deerwood Center.

Because I have only been back in Jacksonville for about a month now, the only answers I have to your queries are ... Public transportation is pretty much non-existent, and it's very hard to get around without a vehicle. And crime is no worse here than any other major city in America.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:03 AM

it's the 500 gate parkway office

the things i've read on these boards have all been pretty negative on JAX....some people have made it seem like its like the slums and there is nothing going on around the place....

Old 09-07-2013, 09:52 AM

22,450 posts, read 33,284,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahblah View Post
it's the 500 gate parkway office

the things i've read on these boards have all been pretty negative on JAX....some people have made it seem like its like the slums and there is nothing going on around the place....
Because if it's said on the internet it has to be true...??? Outside of a few random city sites here on City-Data (Orlando is one of them) very few Puppy/Rainbow/Unicorn civic cheerleaders spend anytime on these boards. In other words I wouldn't put a lot of substance behind the negatives here.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 AM

392 posts, read 1,365,561 times
If you were to throw a dart at a map of Jacksonville, chances are it will land in a safe area. The city occupies a huge land area.

Most of the city is suburban in nature. You will need a car.

The Gate Parkway area is pretty nice. It has a lot of variety in housing choices, such as detached homes, condos/townhomes, mixed use developments, and apartment complexes.

There is a bus service in Jacksonville, and a line that runs along Gate Parkway. If you want to attempt to use the bus line, you need to live and work on the same line to make it practical.
http://www.jtafla.com/Schedules/showPage.aspx?Sel=17

In the newer areas, most of the restaurants are of the franchise variety. There are locally owned restaurants found in Riverside, San Marco, and the Beaches. There are local restaurants in other areas, but they are concentrated in the older sections.

As far as hair cuts go, there are more choices than the big chains, but I mostly use the big chains so I can't really comment on that. There are a few old-school barbers as well as hair salons.

The best thing to do is visit for a few days and just drive around. There are some nice hotels near your office, or stay at the beach.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:53 AM

@pinetreecity,

Thanks, that was very helpful. I'm thinkin of not bringing my car down for the first 5 months or so, so will probably rely on the public transportation and so seek housing along the line. Any recommendations for that? Ideally would want a complex that is responsive in case I have any issues that need repair inside...

Old 09-08-2013, 12:03 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,306,311 times
You really need to bring your car.....as many have said Jacksonville land wise is huge. The density is so spread out and there is much to explore.....so much so that public transportation will not really help you.

While Jacksonville is is not your typical thriving urban metropolis it does have a lot to offer and if your willing to explore you should find more than enough to keep you occupied on your days off.

Good luck and welcome to Jax

Old 09-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for writing jbtwinz,

How's the area/neighboring states in terms of camping or hiking/backpacking?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:50 PM

3,257 posts, read 4,306,311 times
State Parks are really nice and the beaches at them are beautiful. Lots of bike trails in and around Jacksonville and plenty of places for great kayaking.

Not much into hiking and backpacking but we do hit north Georgia and North Carolina in the fall and there is plenty of hiking and backpacking. The Blue Ridge Parkway is about six hours away from us skiing is a bit farther but not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville