U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 AM

3 posts, read 21,900 times
Default German/Scandinavian/European grocery stores in Jacksonville FL?

Hello I recently moved to the Jacksonville/St Augustine area and I was wondering if there are any German, Scandinavian, or European grocery stores here. I am looking for the spices to make traditional German Sauerkraut as well as German style sausages. My own background is Danish and I wonder if there is anywhere here to get Danish bread, pastry, or chocolates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 02:51 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,455,995 times
I'm German and my husband is Danish, so we'd also be interested in this question - or the answers.

Hope there is some feedback from the locals. I only know about some original European food at the World Market stores Customer Service at World Market. There are several in and around Jax.

Connie

Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 AM

541 posts, read 1,591,982 times
I am not an expert on european foods and I usually don't seek out european food. My last experienence was with the Russians in Brighton Beach (Brooklyn, NY)...and that night ended with my friends and I having to sneak out of a russian nightclub to avoid a ridiculous attempt of extortion..... where they tried to charge us 150 dollars for 4 glasses of kvass!!! Needless to say we gave them 20 and ran out of there...literally...we snuck out past the bouncer and ran for it!! I do miss NYC!!

Back to Jacksonville...there are two european grocery stores that I know of.

Granap European Grocery Mart
5111 Baymeadows Rd.
Jax

and

European Deli Authentic International Store
5751 Beney Rd.
Jax

Each is small, but may have some boxed/canned goods that you may be looking for.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 64,092 times
Oh, how I wish.
I'm presently Shanghaied in St. Augustine for the next couple years... Traditional Northern European cuisine is one of my faves, nothing here to speak of.
There *is* a good traditional Polish Deli in St. Aug, however (Black Knight)... and when I say "good", I'm comparing that to competition in Chicago- it is a good one for its size.

Not that it's any consolation, but the two themes are pretty close.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 AM

156 posts, read 224,541 times
We get good service from germanDeli.com. It is a Texas company which ships nationwide.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:40 PM

13 posts, read 48,438 times
I pass by a European Grocery store on Old Kings Rd South, about a mile nor of Baymeadows.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 15,814 times
Default northern european grocery near St AUgustine

The black knight deli is good on Anastasia blvd--he even makes pierogi,kapusta,bigos etc. also in Flagler county in PAlm coast there is a god russian stor and Deli with both ingredents and made things and in Jax another place is the European store on Atlantic near southside on the right hand side as you go toward the beaches

Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 64,092 times
His pierogi are really, really good. So are his sandwiches.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 26,901 times
Edgewood Bakery, Edgewood Ave & Post street (Murry Hill area)

Run by a nice German lady for many years... has great bakery items... many German style.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 17,230 times
Default German food

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I'm German and my husband is Danish, so we'd also be interested in this question - or the answers.

Hope there is some feedback from the locals. I only know about some original European food at the World Market stores Customer Service at World Market. There are several in and around Jax.

Connie

[SIZE=3]What about “World Deli”?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The store is located at 10584-10 Old St. Augustine Rd. Jacksonville FL 32257[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Phone 904-292-2440[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You can find there any kind of food: Russian , German, Italian and etc.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]You can eat there too, only for $6.99[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville