Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 PM

13 posts, read 24,871 times

Advertisements

I currently live outside of NYC in Jersey City. I was offered a position at Fidelity to work in their new facility. I was wondering what a safe apartment or condo development around Jacksonville. I have been doing some research online and trying to verify if they are good or safe through reviews online.

I tend not to trust online review sites because people tend to only complain and not comment if a place is good. Im from Nyc originally so I know every city has its good and bad parts. Id like to be close to the beach and no further than 45min from work.

My budget would be 750-850 monthly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
chrissurra
is the location downtown ?
you can live on the Southside and be about 25 mins to work. 20 mins to the beach
a nice place will have you around the $850
if you want to live at the beach it would be about a 35 min ride downtown

Old 11-16-2007, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the quick response! Im not sure where it is yet its the new call center they opened. I have to fly down and visit them after the holiday. Im trying to gauge what areas I should narrow my search down to.

Ideally I would like to be about 30 min from the beach in a safe area. Ive heard some stories that parts of Jax can be really bad. I dont know if they are NY bad or just bad for Fla.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:34 PM

98 posts, read 287,222 times
Honestly, and unfortunately, the crime in Florida is probably worse than NYC. Overall, on a per capita basis, NYC is pretty safe. Or atleast a lot safer than ppl think. Jax is the murder capital of FL I believe, (just telling you so you know )but it's mostly in the bad areas. You dont have to worry about it in many areas of Jax. Just stay outta the bad areas, and just like you should do in any other city, use common sense. Many parts of Jax are considered pretty safe.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:47 PM

You will be fine in the southside/intercoastal or even the beaches area many of us regulars live in the areas
they have listed the zip codes in another thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,038 times
Statistically, Jax is actually the SAFEST 1million+ metro in florida (please research before posting that awful rumor to potential residents). Further, when I first moved here, I lived at The Carling, and loved it. Downtown is not as dead as some make it to be. If you live there, you know what to do, as opposed to an outsider. I would also suggest maybe renting a condo at the Esplanade @ St Johns Town Center. That is in your price range, and they had a few units for rent by owner last time I checked (even included free satellite tv and highspeed internet). Good luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 AM

Oh, and by the way... we will be "work neighbors." I am actually in the same campus as you, just one door down. I think Fidellity is building 2, and Wachovia is building 1. It is a great area, but traffic will get the best of you. 11:30 - 1:00 and 4:30 - 6:00 are NYC style traffic jams getting onto Gate Pkwy from our campus. Just wanted to mention that so that you can exercise good judgement when picking a schedule.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Statistically, Jax is actually the SAFEST 1million+ metro in florida (please research before posting that awful rumor to potential residents). Further, when I first moved here, I lived at The Carling, and loved it. Downtown is not as dead as some make it to be. If you live there, you know what to do, as opposed to an outsider. I would also suggest maybe renting a condo at the Esplanade @ St Johns Town Center. That is in your price range, and they had a few units for rent by owner last time I checked (even included free satellite tv and highspeed internet). Good luck!
Could you post a link to where they were renting them? I checked craigslist and didnt see anything

Old 11-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Here is the property website:

Esplanade At Town Center

Here is one post I found, but you have to do a little digging to find the 1brs. I recommend seeing the property manager, and getting a directory from them of open units if you can't find anything on craigslist.

Esplanade 2 Bedroom 2 Bathroom Condo Available Now (broken link)

Try doing a search on rebaterentals. Their site "search" is down temporarily.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:50 AM

gradco2004
Is it the same Fidelity that is downtown ?
where is the new "campus"

thanks
karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville