Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

Gosh I hope I"m posting in the right spot. I've never done this before. I'm hoping to move to St Augustine FL in about a year. I hope for this to be my last winter in Wisconsin. I've been to St Augustine area 3 times staying a week in a different condo each time. My daughter and granddaughter live about 1hr 45 min away from St Augustine. My question is, how?? It would probably be just me and right now I live check to check. I need a job that pays the rent for a small place for me to live. Do I move without a job lined up? Do I rent an apartment online? I need a full time job with benefits- I'm in my early 50's and cant imagine not having health insurance. I work full time now as a laboratory assistant at a hospital, for nearly 4 years supplementing my income with a very part time bartending/waitressing server job as well. 4 years ago I worked for a small printing company most of my adult life. It seems most of the jobs I see on line in the St Augustine area are jobs with a needed college degree. Does anyone have any input or suggestions? I really feel the need to move but need a plan for when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:50 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
The usual advice is to have a job lined up, but that's difficult if you don't have a local address, and the Catch-22 is that landlords prefer a new tenant who has a job lined up or, better yet, is already employed.

Is there any way you could live with your daughter temporarily? That would give you a local address and allow you the time to look for work in the St. Augustine area.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 AM

216 posts, read 475,414 times
A couple of things from what you mentioned. It would be much easier to work as a lab assistant in Jacksonville than St Augustine. It would be difficult to find supplemental work as a bartender in either city. Publix is usually hiring part time people though.
If all temporary housing options fail, it is possible to live in a big van year round and get a membership in a health club for a few dollars a month.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:09 PM

3 posts, read 2,500 times
Thanks. Well, I just took another position at the hospital I work at, same department, the lab, but now I'm a "biller". I figure the more experience the better, I have almost 4 years in as a lab assistant, and I hope to get a year in medical billing before heading to Florida. Yes, Ive thought about Jacksonville, and if the right job came along I would surely consider it. I can't live with my daughter, she has a tiny house, 3 people living in it, (her family) and no extra bedroom. I'm not really looking for a bartending job, only stated that I do a bit of it now to supplement my income, however, I have it to fall back on if needed. I hear of people packing up and moving all the time, I just can't figure out how they do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville