Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 06:44 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,688 times

Advertisements

Hi! My friend and I are going to take a weekend trip to St Augustine. (I live in Tampa, she lives in Leesburg) We are thinking of December a couple weeks before Christmas. Some of the reviews on the hotels in the historic district concern me about safety. I usually take those w/ a grain of salt (people always like to complain more than compliment) but my friend worries very easily, and I want to get us a room at decent price (under $100) in the historic district or that has a shuttle to the historic district.

Some of the hotels closer to the outlets seem nicer, but they don't mention shuttles or if the trolley stops there. I know I can call and ask, but trying to avoid being on the phone if possible. Also, one thing I noticed is the hotels closer to the outlets are more of a hotel setup (door inside) than a motel setup(door to the outside) which seems more common w/ the historic district. However, one hotel that did seem nice in the historic district w/ the "motel" setup is the Best Western. (The Best Western Historic Inn - 2010 N Ponce De Leon Blvd) There are a few BW there - but this one is the closest to the Historic District in what we would want to spend for 1 night in a hotel.

Any suggestions on hotels? I appreciate it. Does the trolley go as far as to the outlet area?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Shorty458; 10-26-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 07:50 PM

284 posts, read 379,036 times
We had a great time at the Country Inn & Suites near the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind. It was very nice and convenient location, brightly lit parking lot,etc. Our other visits were at hotels near the beach so not what you're looking for. (But do recommend the BW on Anastasia if you want to try a few days out there!)

Old 12-30-2013, 05:06 PM

359 posts, read 758,958 times
Exclamation Which areas are the 'hood? (Crime-infested)

We as well are up near the FL School for the Deaf and Blind. The area is ok, but that's about it. I get the vibe that my mom will go outside after 7 P.M. for a walk around the small hotel complex and never come back.

Haven't done prior research due to travel on short notice - could someone please share their wisdom on where to stay away from? [Drug dealers, hood-rats, 0bama zombies, ne'er-do-wells, that sort of thing.] I am concerned my party will groupthink into saving ten bucks a night, and we'll end up somewhere like Economy Inn:

https://plus.google.com/114698205704...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Quote:

I felt unsafe the entire time I was there this past friday. There were thugs and drug dealers hanging over the balcony all night. There was constant noise and arguments happening in the parking area. Sleep was impossible. The cops were there twice during the night. I was worried that someone was going to break into my car or kick in the room door. The room itself was below satisfactory. It had a nasty odor that hit you right when you walked in. The bathroom had lots of black mold. The tv only had 3 channels that worked. I travel a lot. This place makes the top of my worst places to stay list.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:46 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,925 times
When choosing accommodation in St. Augustine, I recommend The Country Inn and Suites or Comfort Suites for anyone who wants to stay "in town" (they are "uptown" on San Marco) and who cannot afford to stay at the five star Casa Monica or a nice bed and breakfast. If you are staying for a week or more, staying in a condo on Anastasia Island or at a home through Vacation Rental By Owner (www.vrbo.com) is much more economical. In general, the amount of noise, lack of cleanliness and management indifference is indirectly correlated to the nightly rates charged. The Economy Inn you referenced is also in the same area on San Marco. This is an older area of St. Augustine which is safe, though the guests staying at low rates motels like the Economy Inn may be rowdy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville