Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:54 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFarad View Post
I'm sorry to say that I had been looking at moving to St. John's County, more specifically the Ponte Vedra or possibly more west towards the river, and that I've had to rule it out for exactly the reasons the OP stated. I looked and looked and simply couldn't find a house for sale or being built that wasn't a little box with front entry garages lined up on straight streets with no character... and I was looking up into the $700's. It's a shame what builders are throwing up right now.
Perhaps you should look at older houses? Our house is below. Our community requires side entry garages unless it's impossible to build them on a particular lot. Our streets aren't straight. When we built our house - we were more interested in "building strong" than "building pretty" (we had left Miami after Hurricane Andrew) - but I think our house has a little character. BTW - it's not for sale. But - if it were - I doubt it's worth more than about $600k today (house is on the smaller side - but we have about 3/4 acre). Robyn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 11:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Nice elevation, Robyn. We actually call that "courtyard" entry garage. Side entry would truly be on the side of the house. The draw for the side/courtyard entries is that the big steel doors aren't seen from the street. Some folks, my wife and me included, like having the view of windows/shutters, landscaping, etc, instead of the wall of steel. Some communities have fancied-up garage doors and those look OK for front-facing garages. :-)

Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
Nice elevation, Robyn. We actually call that "courtyard" entry garage. Side entry would truly be on the side of the house. The draw for the side/courtyard entries is that the big steel doors aren't seen from the street. Some folks, my wife and me included, like having the view of windows/shutters, landscaping, etc, instead of the wall of steel. Some communities have fancied-up garage doors and those look OK for front-facing garages. :-)
Thanks Eric and sorry I got the terminology wrong. We wanted an 18 foot wide driveway (because we don't like doing 15 point turns when we're backing out of the garage). It's hard to do that on the side of a house unless you have a *very* wide lot. Also - all of our main rooms face to the back of our lot. The only time we see the front is when we pull into the driveway or answer the front door. Robyn

Old 11-14-2013, 02:27 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Both my coworker and I (Yuppies) recently purchased houses. He bought one of these boxy houses on a postage stamp in St Johns County. I bought a house off of Southside blvd for 30k more.

I have a pool, twice the yard, drive 2 minutes to work, have the same square footage as he does, home is all brick, 5 minutes from Lowes (Which Ive never frequented as much until becoming a homeowner), right near grocery stores and all of the entertainment.

Coworker: 30-40 minute drive to work (depending on wrecks), tiny yard, no pool, had to add all of the things the builder didnt include with the house like window treatments/gutters etc, can play ping pong with his neighbor through their windows, has to drive to St Aug or Jax to get to the entertainment.

Just take your time and find a good home in Jax, youll be glad you did. People talk about the crime here vs St Johns County. I have yet to have a single issue in the 2 years Ive been renting/owning on the Southside.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM

285 posts, read 606,379 times
^Thatguy, I'm guessing you don't have kids yet? That's one of the biggest draws of St. John's.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:25 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
Are you referring to the skin color of the schools? It seems thats why a lot of people are buying in St Johns County who have kids...to have less "diversity" in the schools.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:45 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Are you referring to the skin color of the schools? It seems thats why a lot of people are buying in St Johns County who have kids...to have less "diversity" in the schools.
and the race card has been played!!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:12 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
and the race card has been played!!
misplaced and inappropriately as always!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
easiest way to end debate is to play the card.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:37 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
easiest way to end debate is to play the card.
Either that, or the 'Nazi/Communist' card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville