Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 5,402 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply and information. Transportation is major for me. I am also looking at more areas. No need for other replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No lie, Atlanta is an ugly sprawling tank town with an outsized ego and most notable as the main obstacle on a highway trip from Chicago to Florida; a place to be gotten through as quickly as possible, preferably around 5 in the morning. None of the charms of Chattanooga or Nashville, which are oases on the trip.

Hell, even Indianapolis, Hoosier fried pig brains sandwiches and all, is nicer than Atlanta.
Spoken like someone who probably has primarily experienced metro Atlanta from I-75 and nothing more.

Either way, I don't really get the "mini-Atlanta" characterization for Jacksonville. And the entire article sounds like it was written in the 90's and that the Great Recession never happened.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:45 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^ Huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Nonsense. I can disprove your argument several ways but why waste keystrokes.

And of course your racism goes directly to that. What about Jax being promoted as up and coming gay friendly city by the Advocate just for starters.

Last time I was in Miami, you were called a tourist for not speaking Spanish. PFFFFT

And I'm from Philly, a minority majority city for decades; one that has ACTUAL diversity, not just a fake reputation because it happens to have a big Hispanic contingent.

Did you guys not watch the video?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Coconut1: My "huh?" was in response to MiamiRob's comment, not the article.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:54 AM

Runswith,

Jax doesnt have a large hispanic pop whatsoever.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:55 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'd suggest the beaches, the St. John's town center or by riverside market square to be as non-car-dependent as possible.
Public Transit is reliable in areas where it's used frequently. The area around St John's Town Center would be a great option as it borders the University of North Florida campus, both of which drive a consistent transit load among two routes to/from downtown Jacksonville.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 AM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Yeah Jacksonville! You are "culturally congenial"! What another term for "racism'! Black people live there and white people live over there!
Just drop two white sheets over their heads on these speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Coconut1: My "huh?" was in response to MiamiRob's comment, not the article.
Right, and he was pointing out that the video states that much of the reason why people are moving to these new places is to be in a culturally congenial place.

It's not that these "dream cities" offer anything spectacular or a great quality of life, it's that people are moving to them to be around those like them.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Right, and he was pointing out that the video states that much of the reason why people are moving to these new places is to be in a culturally congenial place.

It's not that these "dream cities" offer anything spectacular or a great quality of life, it's that people are moving to them to be around those like them.

Oh, I see.

Got to admit, I didn't watch the video, but I will now.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Yeah Jacksonville! You are "culturally congenial"! What another term for "racism'! Black people live there and white people live over there!
Just drop two white sheets over their heads on these speakers.
They also mentioned Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Public Transit is reliable in areas where it's used frequently. The area around St John's Town Center would be a great option as it borders the University of North Florida campus, both of which drive a consistent transit load among two routes to/from downtown Jacksonville.
Is it really used frequently between UNF/Town Center and Downtown? This is good news to me...can you share any info? I guess I can't say from recent personal experience that the public transit is terrible city-wide, but I've heard plenty of nightmare stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville