Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM

10 posts, read 16,732 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for taking the time to reply. We now live on the NJ Shore but have been contemplating a move to Florida for the past few years. Like a lot of people we have only been to Florida, Orlando area, for Disney. We have narrowed our desired area to the Flagler County Palm Coast area. We have researched the area and realized employment is not optimal but that will not be a concern for us. My husband is taking an early retirement and I would like to work part time doing something, perhaps a bank or in retail which are more easy to come by. One of the reasons for our move would be the weather in NJ is too harsh for my husband who suffered a back injury. Shoveling snow is out of the questions and the damp cold just exasperates his condition. Being native to the NJ Shore the beach is very important to us. I grew up on the beach and am only about 10 minutes or so out on the mainland now. Safety and schools are important to us as well since we have 3 kids still in school, ages 14, 11 & 10. My husband is 55 and I am 48 so we are older parents but too young to be "traditional" retirees. All of our research has been on the internet (I also have a friend in Ormond Beach) who loves the area. We are going to take a trip down for a few days within the next month to start our journey. If we truly like the area we will come down again for a few weeks.

Some of my questions for you folks living in the Palm Coast area are:

1) I would like to be at 200K tops 4BR 2B Pool about 2000 square feet and newer construction. Is that doable in a nice area? I see homes way below this price but they are in questionable areas. Now, I only say questionable area, because that seems to be coming up over and over in other posts. Mainly the P, R and W sections. I was wondering what that is all about?

2) HOA's I have no clue. Are there no fee areas or lower cost areas?

3) Has anyone relocated over the past few years? Was there a real estate person you worked with that you would recommend? I would definitely want to rent before buying. With that said, we have pets, 2 older dogs and 3 older cats who are our family as well. I was wondering if that was an issue for anyone who tried to rent or had to rent while looking for a home to buy? I am guessing I will need a storage unit too.

4) Anyone with school aged kids I would love your input on local schools. I have gone to the Great Schools Website but I would love to hear from parents.

5) How long does it take to get to the beach in real time?

I am sure I will have plenty of other questions but I think that is a start. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 08:42 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,788,582 times
Sent you a direct message.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:28 AM

24 posts, read 47,623 times
@ Jerseygirl42-
My wife and I are planning to relocate to Palm Coast sometime this year.We are retired so our situation is somewhat different than yours. What we liked about Palm Coast;

It doesn't have any big shopping malls, It is a growing city, there are many housing choices low. middle , high price range, your choice.Close to the beaches. We liked Flagler beach with no condos on the shore side of the road and no cars driving on the beach . (not all but some of the beaches in Ormand beach , Daytona beach and New smyrna allow driving on the beach ).Not my thing.

Also Flagler county has over 100 miles of hiking,biking,walking trails . Do a search for " Palm Coast and The Flagler Beaches " good information there. Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM

549 posts, read 456,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl42 View Post
1) I would like to be at 200K tops 4BR 2B Pool about 2000 square feet and newer construction. Is that doable in a nice area? I see homes way below this price but they are in questionable areas. Now, I only say questionable area, because that seems to be coming up over and over in other posts. Mainly the P, R and W sections. I was wondering what that is all about?

2) HOA's I have no clue. Are there no fee areas or lower cost areas?
Take a look at the B and F sections. These are nice areas of newer homes close to Matanzas High School. Zillow shows several homes for sale that match your criteria.
AFAIK, unless you are in a gated community, there will be no HOA fees. I can recommend the realtor that I worked with... let me know.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Take a look at the B and F sections. These are nice areas of newer homes close to Matanzas High School. Zillow shows several homes for sale that match your criteria.
AFAIK, unless you are in a gated community, there will be no HOA fees. I can recommend the realtor that I worked with... let me know.
Thank you so much. Yes, please send me the information! I appreciate it!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM

61 posts, read 130,200 times
My parents are retired and do the snow bird thing back and forth to palm coast. I visit there often. We live in Greenwich CT. Palm coast is Great for weather and "quiet life". Other than that I am bored out of my mind there and I am 44. Real Estate is pretty much the best I've seen. Super cheap gets you allot of home. Keep in mind there are really no jobs there. Most people have come in from all over and are retired. The 18-40yo range residents that are locals mostly left me on edge. The seem to lack refinement for example, I watched two 28yo's get into a fight just because one hopped a fence and the other told him he should not. I asked the woman at the publix there to make me a turkey sandwich with lettuce and mayonnaise and I had to repeat the lettuce and mayonnaise 8 times (not kidding). its a very slow pace there but comfortable. Nothing like Jersey, beach is great. But you will end up going to daytona or st augustine for alot of things. I could not live there but I like to visit.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:51 AM

44 posts, read 51,584 times
Just moved to Palm Coast in August from upstate New York. I am a real estate agent here. Love the place. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a varied lifestyle. 125 miles of walking/biking/jogging paths, only a few miles to uncrowded beaches, nice selection of restaurants, all types of shopping locally and more within 30 minute drive to Daytona and St. Augustine, great weather, great value on housing. Under $200,000 can get a really nice house. This is a relatively new city so almost everything here is new. Nice difference from the Northeast cities. I found my paradise.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:08 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl42 View Post
...I would definitely want to rent before buying. With that said, we have pets, 2 older dogs and 3 older cats who are our family as well. I was wondering if that was an issue for anyone who tried to rent or had to rent while looking for a home to buy?...
Max of 4 dogs/cats allowed in Flagler County:

Flagler County, FL

Whether you rent or own. Most people seem to run into problems trying to rent with animals - but your luck may vary. Robyn

Old 01-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Max of 4 dogs/cats allowed in Flagler County:

Flagler County, FL

Whether you rent or own. Most people seem to run into problems trying to rent with animals - but your luck may vary. Robyn
Really??? I have 2 dogs and 3 cats so I would not be allowed to have them in PC? WTH?? That is crazy! I can see them not wanting people being "animal hoarders" but a lot of people have 4-5 animals.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgordon18 View Post
Just moved to Palm Coast in August from upstate New York. I am a real estate agent here. Love the place. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a varied lifestyle. 125 miles of walking/biking/jogging paths, only a few miles to uncrowded beaches, nice selection of restaurants, all types of shopping locally and more within 30 minute drive to Daytona and St. Augustine, great weather, great value on housing. Under $200,000 can get a really nice house. This is a relatively new city so almost everything here is new. Nice difference from the Northeast cities. I found my paradise.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville