Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,066 times

Advertisements

Hey there,
My husband and I are moving back to Florida from Atlanta. We are not happy with life here in Atlanta to busy for us we are quiet and laid back. We are both in our mid 20's with no children. Unfortunately we are unable to move back to our hometown as it is too small for him to find the type of job he needs . So we are thinking about moving to the Jacksonville area. Originally our plan was to move to Amelia Island but, we are both not wanting to drive 45- an hr .. we are wanting a more quiet life style. Can anyone give us any information on a nice quiet safe place roughly 30 minutes from the south side drew park area. We are wanting to be near the water ( being back next to the water is a major reason for us moving back to FL) . We are wanting to rent a house. Our budget is $1,200 - $1,700.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by JB1931; 01-12-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 PM

Also if there arent any great quiet small places around Jacksonville . How do yall feel about Amelia island?

Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,911,705 times
Amelia is awesome, but not sure what kind of drive to and from Jax (if you guys will be working in Jax) that would be.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Amelia is definitely going to be out of range commute time if you are working downtown or southside. Amelia is great with it's family's and retirees but for a young couple you are much better off for things to do closer to Jacksonville. Maybe Riverside area near downtown or near the Saint Johns Town Center. Depending on your lifestyle will decide what part of Jacksonville is right for you..........Jacksonville is the largest city in the US land wise and it is super spread out. Your job site will play a big part on where to live if you want to stay within 30 minutes of it.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:09 PM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1931 View Post
Also if there arent any great quiet small places around Jacksonville . How do yall feel about Amelia island?
I am partial because we live here.......but it is a great small beach town community with a lot to offer. If your working downtown or southside the commute is going to be over your 30 minute wish list.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am partial because we live here.......but it is a great small beach town community with a lot to offer. If your working downtown or southside the commute is going to be over your 30 minute wish list.
What JBtwinz said.

We too live on the island, and for our first year here, my husband was making that commute to Jax and he absolutely hated it.

A lot of people do make the commute, some who live in Jax, and some who live here. But I don't recommend it.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:36 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Something quiet and near water (if "water" can be the river or a creek and not necessarily a beach) ... what about the Julington Creek or Fruit Cove area. I think that could be a doable commute, and hopefully someone here will either confirm that or say otherwise.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Actually, the drive from Amelia Island to downtown Jax is not that bad. I did it for 7 years. It was quicker for me to come from Fernandina to downtown that it was for me to commute from JTB to downtown.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Actually, the drive from Amelia Island to downtown Jax is not that bad. I did it for 7 years. It was quicker for me to come from Fernandina to downtown that it was for me to commute from JTB to downtown.
Yeah, like I said, a lot of people do it. And a lot of people like you *used* to do it.
Yes, if the traffic in Jax isn't bad, it's bearable.
Yulee is pretty busy now, and can itself can be a bit of a slog. They will be widening the road and also slowing the speed limit, but maybe it will be safer.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 PM

You guys are great! We are really considering still doing the commute from Amelia Island to Jacksonville. We do over an hour commute now to our jobs here in Atlanta, and were hoping to maybe cut our travel time a little, but would prefer to drive a little longer to get back to that small coastal town feel. We come from a small beach town in South Florida and Amelia island seems to have many of the great qualities we are looking for. When I stated above about being close to the water I was meaning the Beach. We arent really wanting to live the "City life" as we live that now here in Atlanta and are not thrilled about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville