Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwynIce View Post
...Just to remind: CDD fees are paid on your tax bill. Many of the communities that have CDD fees have a very small HOA in exchange. Some as small as $50yr. HOA fees can rise through time. CDD fees are fixed until they are paid off. So, it is worth considering. Also, after 30ish years, the CDD fees will be paid in full. I mention this, because some have been paying already for 10 years+. AND, still others, have them paid in full by their builder when only a few lots are left in a community. That is why you see my (only some) next to a few of the neighborhoods mentioned. There are re-sales as well as new sales that may not have them in those communities, but the overall community had them assessed when first established.

NOTE: Some communities have what is called an O&M portion of fees as well. (Operations and Maintenance). This is more like an HOA, in that this portion can increase. Areas that have these fees are mostly Nocatee and River Town. Nocatee has an amenity center, however, like Disney World. So, those that live there, feel it is worth it. It is growing rapidly there.
Thanks for introducing yourself as a realtor. You sounded like one - at least to me - but sometimes it isn't obvious.

If I were you - I would be pretty careful about making forward-looking statements to clients about CDD and HOA fees. I'm a lawyer who's lived here for close to 20 years (and in Florida for 40+ years) - and even I can't figure out what will happen to CDDs/CDD fees in the future (I have a better handle on HOA/condo stuff). To give you one little "for example". When it comes to houses where builders "paid off" the CDD fees and the homeowner was allegedly released from CDD obligations (which - like taxes - are supposed to "run with the land"). Well - who signed these documents? Were they legally sufficient? I honestly don't have a clue and I suspect you don't either - except on the basis "I heard that". When it comes to CDD fees - when I hear the builder paid it off - it sounds as silly as saying that the builder paid off the property taxes for the next 30 years. Nocatee apparently isn't current on all its bond payments now. Who will wind up paying for that down the road? I don't know - and doubt anyone else does either. People who might owe might challenge people who think they don't if push comes to shove.

When it comes to operations and maintenance money - whether it's coming from a CDD or a HOA - people have to remember there's no free lunch (unless developers are subsidizing things when they're still selling dirt - and trying to conceal the real costs of operating a place from potential buyers). The way I look at Nocatee - the splash park is apparently the biggest selling point for many people (don't ask me why). Who's paying for it now? Certainly not the existing homeowners. And - even assuming all of Nocatee gets built out and the existing homeowners can pay for its operation and maintenance - can you imagine 13000 families showing up there every summer weekend? Would look more like Coney Island than gracious living.

I know here in PVB - some builders gave promises to various homeowners about country club fees into the future - promises dating back to the 70's. And - when properties changed hands - the promises were in shreds - and there was litigation (about 10-15 years ago). Which resulted in settlements WRT the original owners (who were pretty old by that time) - but no one else. IOW - I'd pretty much look at what most people in a particular place can expect to pay - not those who think they got special deals.

At least in my opinion - just about every house in a community has community maintenance costs. Ranging from simple landscaping and common property maintenance - to community pool and play area maintenance - to road maintenance (in gated communities with private roads) - to security patrols - to paying for street lights - to even minor post-storm clean up - to keeping the scum out of the retention ponds maintenance - and even keeping all those fecking Canadian geese who don't feel like migrating these days from making a mess of things.* Not to mention keeping required by law reserves. And paying for insurance - both property and liability insurance. And paying for lawyers to file liens and lawsuits against deadbeat neighbors when they stop paying their HOA fees. If someone lives in a nice community - like with $300k and + houses - and is paying $50/year for fees - they are being subsidized to a huge degree by developers - and are in for a big shock when they actually have to start paying for this stuff themselves.** Robyn

*My HOA has recently implemented a "goose reduction" project. In other communities I've been in recently that haven't implemented similar projects - well they have goose sh** all over the place.

**In my HOA - I keep an eye on the financials/budgets And - although I don't always like all of our board members - I think they do a good job of handling finances most of the time. Our HOA fees are currently about $2k/year. If our roads were public - about 25% less would be reasonable (private roads cost a lot).

Last edited by Robyn55; 04-24-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,906 times
Moderator cut: self-promos not allowed on cd

And, you are correct about 32259. That zip code became, "St. Johns, Florida". It is so confusing for anyone not familiar with the area. Much of the area belongs to Julington Creek Plantation across Racetrack Rd. And, it branches out southward to 210. The same area is pretty much known as Fruit Cove, also. Even, Switzerland, Florida may appear on some Google maps. A bit of trivia for you. But, if you put 'Jacksonville, FL 32259' that will work also...lol. Go figure.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-26-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 06:27 AM

190 posts, read 315,648 times
Isn't "St. Johns, Florida" just an unincorporated postal designation
as there really isn't a city/town/government involved in it at all?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:31 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwebb1986 View Post
Isn't "St. Johns, Florida" just an unincorporated postal designation as there really isn't a city or town area involved in it at all?
Correct - it's the area in zip code 32259. Useful for when someone is looking for houses by zip code - or mailing things. Robyn

Old 04-30-2014, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,313 times
I'm getting ready to do a contract at the Reserve @ Greenbriar. There are no CDD fees and HOA is $1,100 per year.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM

410 posts, read 602,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwynIce View Post
Moderator cut: self-promos not allowed on cd
I'm an informative power poster.

LOL

Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,081 times
Just curious....but who pays for the street lights in old communities that have no HOA or CDD fees?

I noticed that street lights, and the money that runs them, has become privatized in some way. When did that happen?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:05 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
Just curious....but who pays for the street lights in old communities that have no HOA or CDD fees?

I noticed that street lights, and the money that runs them, has become privatized in some way. When did that happen?
Utility customers pay for them, as part of their electric utility service. The utility company maintains them. Same for HOA/CDD communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville