Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:03 PM

63 posts, read 134,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Stick with Arthur Rutenberg or David Weekley Homes, and avoid the others as the other posters have said. I'm in the business, and have first hand experience with all the above.

CornerStone isn't bad, but the other two I named are a cut above them.

SS
So specifically regarding Lennar, would you avoid a speck home from them? I saw a house that I liked made by them. What would your advice be regarding that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I posted in another thread, but I'll state it here, too. Dostie Homes built our home in 2010, when they were still known as Kingsouth. They are a long-time Jacksonville custom-home builder, family-owned. They were very easy to work with and accommodated us in every way possible to make us happy homeowners.
I second this. Chris Dostie also built my house in 2010 and we love it. He was great to us and his architect Sam is fantastic. I would build with them again.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
Stay away from Southern Lifestyle. Very ethically challenged. I have heard good things about Weekly.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
DON’T move to Nocatee. AS YOU LIKE IT HOUSEKEEPING has a hard time covering it, and they are THE BEST!

Old 12-17-2017, 04:41 PM

318 posts, read 464,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
When we lived in So Fla (90's) we had to look for a new home, as ours got blown away. Lennar seemed to have the market cornered, but when we visited build sites and we shooed away by them, we got suspicious. Upon a visit when the building inspectors were on scene we discovered them not putting the required hurricane straps in the roof system. When we pointed it out to the inspectors we were told - not to worry about it. That was when we went with Arthur Rutenberg. We got a similar house to the one we had in Homestead for about a third less and built to the new code. We sold it when we left for South America and actually made money on it.

Heard about Cornerstone - but have no opinion on them

As to flood zones - pretty much the whole state exc for Ocala-Gainesville is in a flood zone of one kind or another. Check with the Fed Flood Insurance webpage to determine what your new policy will cost. Remember to be at least 12 ft above mean high tide - which essentially means you need to build a stilt home.

Incorrect.

There are plenty of areas in St. Johns County which are not in a flood zone. I live there and am not in a flood zone. And I don't live in a stilt home either...

Call your insurance company and inquire about insurance after you find a house. They will let you know what the status is re: flood zone and then you can proceed.

We looked at David Weekly and felt they were over priced. And lacking attention to certain details we had in our other homes. Little things.

We liked some of the models by Providence and Drees, but not the location of the subidivision. We purchased an existing home built by DR Horton. So far so good - we like the house and it make it through the last hurricane!

I've heard great things about Cornerstone and Standard Pacific.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 AM

655 posts, read 851,219 times
Standard Pacific doesn't exist anymore. They are now cal atlantic but just bought out by Lennar.

And to Martha Stewart - Who said anything about Nocatee?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:59 AM

6,276 posts, read 4,768,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Standard Pacific doesn't exist anymore. They are now cal atlantic but just bought out by Lennar.

And to Martha Stewart - Who said anything about Nocatee?
Actually it was a merger of Standard Pacific and Ryland Homes then called CalAtlantic in October 2015 and then they will be merged again with Lennar in October 2017 Must be a thing about home builders merging/acquiring in October. I believe Standard Pacific built mostly high end custom homes and Ryland was more of a mid level builder and now who knows what will happen with Lennar taking over.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 776 times
I'd recommend a smaller builder with a lot of experience. Large home builders can sometime focus more on their bottom-line and tend to go down the path with the least resistance.

I'd recommend someone like Envision Custom Homes for those areas. [url]https://myenvisionhome.com/[/url]

I believe they have already done some homes in Nocatee specifically. Chris Johnson Is a wonderful person as well.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville