Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:12 PM

7 posts, read 48,053 times

Advertisements

Looking to find out what species can be caught in the St. John's river? From what I have been able to see, looks like Bass is a primary fish, but I have also seen Redfish, Trout and Flounder mentioned? Is one section salt or brackish water?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:13 PM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
It's tough to draw a line on the map to separate fresh and saltwater species, salinity is more a factor than location. Rainfall, temperature and wind will raise/lower salinity and move the fish. Typically south of the Fuller Warren Bridge is predominately freshwater specific but I've heard of saltwater species caught in Palatka.

I'll add that fishing licenses can be confusing here. Having a fresh/saltwater combo license is a good idea as they are species specific not location. It's more about what's in your cooler and what type of tackle you're using than where you are.

You didn't mention our shrimp! They're all over the river and as a bonus we have our very own non-migratory species of striped bass. This river is all that!

One downside is the fact that if you are serious about fishing the river you need a boat. Not enough shore access. Canoes and kayaks are popular also.

Editing to add that I don't think the license is necessary if you fish from shore or a pier. That said I believe you still have to register somewhere to do it. (?) I know that makes no sense, maybe someone else will chime in and clarify it. I fish from a boat and kayak and know the law that pertains to me.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:44 PM

22 posts, read 69,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsim View Post

One downside is the fact that if you are serious about fishing the river you need a boat. Not enough shore access. Canoes and kayaks are popular also.

Editing to add that I don't think the license is necessary if you fish from shore or a pier. That said I believe you still have to register somewhere to do it. (?) I know that makes no sense, maybe someone else will chime in and clarify it. I fish from a boat and kayak and know the law that pertains to me.

Hope that helps.

Depending on where you live, you might have some decent access from shore. For example, in Mandarin, we can fish from the County Dock, which always has plenty of room for all comers. We've caught croakers, rays, and catfish there, along with the occasional crab.

Exemption from a paid fishing license is true for saltwater fishing from the shore, but to my knowledge there's no exemption from the license requirement when fishing for freshwater species. The exemption for saltwater fishing is stated on the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission as follows:

Residents who are fishing for a saltwater species (other than mullet in fresh water) from land or from a structure fixed to the land are required to have a no-cost saltwater shoreline fishing license unless they have a regular saltwater fishing license or are exempt.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Do y'all see alligators in the river?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:39 AM

139 posts, read 409,500 times
Not in the Jax area but from the Buckman south we'll come across them. Here in Jax we see them back up in the creeks away from the brackish/tidal influence. Many of the tributaries to the Saint Johns are fresh water at or near their source, sometimes swampy and inaccessible they're perfect habitat.

There are exceptions - I have seen an alligator in Mill Cove at Reddie Point and have heard reports of a saltwater crocodile in the Alimacani (Ft. George Inlet) area.

I have to say some folks worry way too much about gators. The only ones that raise my eyebrow are around backyards, piers and fish cleaning areas that have come to associate people with food. Most of the time we hear a splash ahead and see a 'bed' when we get around the bend. An actual sighting is a highlight. Sometimes though...and usually around those places just mentioned they will lay in the water watching us, not too hard to figure out what's going on in that little prehistoric mind.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Related, it's common to see dolphins in the river all the way into Downtown Jax.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM

7 posts, read 48,053 times
Thanks for the details, I am looking at a property in Mandarin and also researching Julington Marina to keep the boat. My focus is saltwater fishing, and have no issue with Trout and redfish :-)

Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Here are the fishing license rules/costs:

Exemptions - Do I need a license or permit?

Recreational Saltwater Licenses & Permits

Recreational Freshwater Licenses & Permits

Almost more important than having whatever license is required is knowing what you can keep (in terms of species - seasons - size limits - etc.). We used to go fishing on the JAX Beach pier once in a while - and the fish and game officers were always out and about giving tickets when any of the rules were violated (they patrol the waters too). They were somewhat lenient with people who were apologetic - but didn't hesitate in terms of "throwing the book" at people who gave them a "lot of lip".

Note that the people at Dick's Sporting Goods were always very helpful in terms of setting us up with whatever we needed. Robyn

P.S. Most of what I caught on the pier were what I call "aquarium fish". Although I once caught a decent size hammerhead shark. The "big deal" anglers on the pier go for kingfish in season - and often bring in big ones. And - along the lines of fsu813's message - you can have some great "sightings" from the pier. Not only dolphins (the porpoise kind) - but sea turtles too.

P.P.S. Sometimes what you catch in the river isn't considered safe to eat:

St. John's River Question.......

Last edited by Robyn55; 02-17-2014 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:31 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
Related, it's common to see dolphins in the river all the way into Downtown Jax.

I'd much rather see dolphins!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:23 PM

190 posts, read 315,648 times
When I was down there late last year I visited the Rudder Club which is located at the western base of the I-295
bridge in Orange Park, Florida and saw 3 or 4 bottle nose dolphin swimming and diving around the piers of the bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville