Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Jacksonville area and am trying to educate myself about the schools. My hope is to find the right school and move nearby so it would be our local school. All 3 of my children are on IEP's but my 8 year old is significantly intellectually disabled. I want her in a self contained classroom within a public school so that she can be mainstreamed. I also would like her to attend the same school that my 6 year old (with specific learning disability and ADHD) would attend.

How would I go about finding out which schools would have such a program?

How are the ESE services in the area when compared with Seminole county or the Tampa area?

Are there other areas I should consider?

Any information (positive or negative) will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Lori in NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

196 posts, read 426,187 times
The Greenwood School has a great reputation - Greenwood School serves students with reading difficulties, memory deficits and other learning differences.. It might be worth looking into. This school is for middle and high schools students, but they might be able to suggest some good elementary schools for you that feed into their school.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM

145 posts, read 223,796 times
Hi Lori in NJ--

I was recently in Jacksonville and toured several public schools with ESE/Special Ed programs including self-contained classrooms that were on a mainstreamed campus. I contacted the ESE directors from Duval County and St. Johns County directly and they were extremely helpful and willing to give us tours of their schools, from the Riverside Area to the Beaches area to the St Johns County area. So my first recommendation would be to contact them. While the St Johns County website is very user friendly so you can find the information on their site, the Duval one isn't. If you DM me, I will give you the email addresses of the people I contacted so that you can ask them specific questions.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville