Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM

131 posts, read 185,597 times

Advertisements

I posted something similar in the Austin forum, but the city seemed mostly out of my price range, so I hope it's OK if I share here (I've also made up my mind...I think!...about where to go this year by now).

Because my lease is ending, I have to move soon, but I've pretty much decided to stay in my adopted town of St. Louis. But I *really* hate the winter and so wish for the hot weather of the South (where I'm from). So I'm looking for a place to move for the future (as soon as possible).

I'm now on disability for chronic migraines, if you can believe they're that bad, so moving across the country seems like a huge challenge...but even my doctor has said that the Midwest is the worst area of the country for migraines because of the huge swings in weather! So I'm debating whether the process would be worth it.

I'm not elderly, though, and I'm hoping to get back to work when I can get these under control. (My background is in medical research, so I can imagine there might be some opportunities with the Mayo Clinic?). Mainly for now, I need a walkable neighborhood (for times when I can't drive, although I do have a car) that has apartments within my budget. Which is very small for most parts of the country...I could probably pay $800/month maximum. Also access to medical care.

Any places like this, or am I looking in the wrong city entirely? St. Louis is nice in that it is affordable, but the weather is awful, in my opinion...though this year has been especially bad. I wouldn't need nice restaurants or bars to walk to...just a grocery, drugstore, the basics would be good. Any options?

Thanks so much. I'd like a 1-bed, 1-bath, that allows for a cat. I don't know if this one is just an outlier, or there's something "wrong" with it, but it looked pretty good to me: 11 East Forsyth Apartments, Jacksonville FL - Walk Score

I don't know that I'd be able to afford to visit beforehand, though. I've been to Florida many times before to see relatives, just not Jax...I mostly want anything but cold weather! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I could certainly be wrong but I don't think 11 East is in your price range. At the moment your best option is Riverside, which offers a wide range of rentals, including those on the lower end (within your price range). It is easily the most walkable area of the city right now.

There are a few other random spots that come to mind (as in apt buildings that happen to be very close to grocery stores) all throughout the city and suburbs, but the only other one that I'd suggest is Montreux in an area called Deerwood Lake. It's a massive condo complex but the units are fairly cheap (it's cheap construction quality) and I'm pretty certain there should be rentals under $800. You'll be next to a nice grocery store as well as several dozen other retail stores and restaurants.

Unfortunately Mayo Clinic is not in or near a walkable area.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I could certainly be wrong but I don't think 11 East is in your price range. At the moment your best option is Riverside, which offers a wide range of rentals, including those on the lower end (within your price range). It is easily the most walkable area of the city right now.

There are a few other random spots that come to mind (as in apt buildings that happen to be very close to grocery stores) all throughout the city and suburbs, but the only other one that I'd suggest is Montreux in an area called Deerwood Lake. It's a massive condo complex but the units are fairly cheap (it's cheap construction quality) and I'm pretty certain there should be rentals under $800. You'll be next to a nice grocery store as well as several dozen other retail stores and restaurants.

Unfortunately Mayo Clinic is not in or near a walkable area.
Thanks very much...yes, I just found that out about the Mayo Clinic, unfortunately...guess I'd be driving when I can (hopefully) get back to work, if that's where I end up.

The 11 East was advertising a 1-bed, 1-bath for $763, although I hadn't called to check on availability...that's why I was surprised...to see such an affordable listing in such a nice part of town. It got really good reviews in general, too.

Thanks for the info on Riverside. I'll start my search there, unless the 11 East happens to have some strangely good deal!

Old 03-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Ah, ok. I was wrong about the 11 East pricing then. I will warn you though that you likely have the wrong idea about the area. While it is in fact located downtown and probably in the most desirable part of downtown, Jacksonville's downtown isn't much to write home about. We have a decent nightlife district in the area now, but the residential numbers still languish in the low couple thousands and even the workforce numbers aren't what they used to be. Which means very few amenities/retail exist for the downtown consumer. Riverside is the epicenter for urban living at the moment.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,278,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havecamerawilltravel View Post
I posted something similar in the Austin forum, but the city seemed mostly out of my price range, so I hope it's OK if I share here (I've also made up my mind...I think!...about where to go this year by now).

Because my lease is ending, I have to move soon, but I've pretty much decided to stay in my adopted town of St. Louis. But I *really* hate the winter and so wish for the hot weather of the South (where I'm from). So I'm looking for a place to move for the future (as soon as possible).

I'm now on disability for chronic migraines, if you can believe they're that bad, so moving across the country seems like a huge challenge...but even my doctor has said that the Midwest is the worst area of the country for migraines because of the huge swings in weather! So I'm debating whether the process would be worth it.

I'm not elderly, though, and I'm hoping to get back to work when I can get these under control. (My background is in medical research, so I can imagine there might be some opportunities with the Mayo Clinic?). Mainly for now, I need a walkable neighborhood (for times when I can't drive, although I do have a car) that has apartments within my budget. Which is very small for most parts of the country...I could probably pay $800/month maximum. Also access to medical care.

Any places like this, or am I looking in the wrong city entirely? St. Louis is nice in that it is affordable, but the weather is awful, in my opinion...though this year has been especially bad. I wouldn't need nice restaurants or bars to walk to...just a grocery, drugstore, the basics would be good. Any options?

Thanks so much. I'd like a 1-bed, 1-bath, that allows for a cat. I don't know if this one is just an outlier, or there's something "wrong" with it, but it looked pretty good to me: 11 East Forsyth Apartments, Jacksonville FL - Walk Score

I don't know that I'd be able to afford to visit beforehand, though. I've been to Florida many times before to see relatives, just not Jax...I mostly want anything but cold weather! Thanks again.
The walkable neighborhoods in Jacksonville near medical centers, grocery, parks, etc are:

Riverside & Avondale historic district
Riverside Avondale Preservation

Springfield historic district
Home and SPAR Council

San Marco
MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community and Home

These sites usually have a lot of units in these areas:
TraditionsJax.com
Urban Living Jacksonville - Homes for Rent
Property Services
Heth Realty, Inc. Rentals and Property Management - single family homes, townhomes, condos, apartments rent and lease [] PM Website by HEROPM

Old 03-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The walkable neighborhoods in Jacksonville near medical centers, grocery, parks, etc are:

Riverside & Avondale historic district
Riverside Avondale Preservation

Springfield historic district
Home and SPAR Council

San Marco
MySanMarco.com | San Marco - Historic Jacksonville Community and Home

These sites usually have a lot of units in these areas:
TraditionsJax.com
Urban Living Jacksonville - Homes for Rent
Property Services
Heth Realty, Inc. Rentals and Property Management - single family homes, townhomes, condos, apartments rent and lease [] PM Website by HEROPM
Wow, thanks very much!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:23 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
I would reiterate the Riverside recommendation for a walkable, affordable, and decent neighborhood. It's one of the most popular neighborhoods in town for those reasons right now. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2014, 05:42 PM

FSU's recommendations and links are good, so definitely take a look. But...

San Marco would leave you far from a traditional grocery store (there are a few corner food stores/convenience stores in walking distance though).

Historic Springfield would be a long (approx 1 mile) and non-ideal (from a pedestrian perspective) walk to the downtown Winn-Dixie grocery store.

Again why I suggested Riverside. Or Montreux in Deerwood Lake, which would also be a short drive to Mayo.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
I would reiterate the Riverside recommendation for a walkable, affordable, and decent neighborhood. It's one of the most popular neighborhoods in town for those reasons right now. Good luck.
Thanks-- that's where I'm focusing my search now.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
FSU's recommendations and links are good, so definitely take a look. But...

San Marco would leave you far from a traditional grocery store (there are a few corner food stores/convenience stores in walking distance though).

Historic Springfield would be a long (approx 1 mile) and non-ideal (from a pedestrian perspective) walk to the downtown Winn-Dixie grocery store.

Again why I suggested Riverside. Or Montreux in Deerwood Lake, which would also be a short drive to Mayo.
Thanks very much...I've been doing some "Google-mapping" and discovered some of those same things about San Marco and Springfield. Riverside has been my main focus...I hadn't considered (or even heard of) Montreux...but I'll definitely take a look. Thanks again.

I wonder...can I still pick up and go this year?! How long does a cross-country move take to plan? (Winter is not my friend!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville