Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,034 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on relocating to the Jacksonville area within the next 6 months. We are in our early 50's. I am a nurse and he is a commercial and residential painter. The reason to relocate from South Dakota is that family lives in the Summerfield Fl.area and Brunswick GA. We are originally from CT so are very familar with the hustle and bustle of more congested areas. We are interested in being within about 25 mins of the beach, a safe area (who isn't), in an area that has character with shopping, resturants, cultural opportunities and offers single family homes or pet friendly condos/townhomes in the price range of $180,000. We are thinking of possibly renting prior to buying so that we can get familiar with the areas before buying. I would appreciate input on areas that may fit this critieria and being downtown vs in the suburbs. I realize that location of jobs vs where we are living will need to be taken into consideration once we get jobs but we are trying to narrow down areas to visit prior to our move so we are not spending time looking in areas that do not offer the features we are wanting. Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 06:44 PM

705 posts, read 1,565,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilesep View Post
We are interested in being within about 25 mins of the beach, a safe area (who isn't), in an area that has character with shopping, resturants, cultural opportunities and offers single family homes or pet friendly condos/townhomes in the price range of $180,000. We are thinking of possibly renting prior to buying so that we can get familiar with the areas before buying.
Honestly, I think getting ALL of your criteria met is going to be tough. Once you say "in an area that has character...", you narrow it down a lot. Mostly to more historic, walkable areas near downtown; i.e., Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, etc. Then, when you filter those through, 25 mins of the beach, pet friendly and $180k,.... Like I said, that's going to be tough. I'd say you're definitely talking condo first of all. I think Riverside would come the closest, but I'm not sure if you could find something you like for that price range and you'd be very lucky to make it to the beach in 25 minutes. Also, you might try down by Jax beach. Not sure what kind of neighborhood or complex you'd find in that price range, but you might check it out.

Renting first is almost always a good idea. Good luck.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:49 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Line up jobs first - and then inquire about the best area(s) to live that don't involve substantial commutes. I agree with the idea of renting first. Robyn

Old 03-30-2014, 09:37 AM

Thank you for your input Robyn. By character I just mean that we do not want to be in a cookie cutter neighborhood and in an area that just has big box stores and chain restaraunts. Last time we were in JAX beach it seemed dirty but that was along the beach area. Job hunting will be taking place once we relocate but in the mean time, we have a few days to explore the area and want to concentrate on areas that may work for us. One of my husband's main requirements is to be near "water". What communities are located near the St. John's river that may fit our criteria?

Old 03-30-2014, 02:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Well there's a lot of water here - as well as a fair distance in places between the St. Johns River and the Atlantic Ocean. And I think that when you come down here - you should explore rental opportunities - not buying.

I think your husband will have a tough time finding a job. Although new construction work has picked up here in the last year or two - your husband will be competing against a lot of younger workers - many immigrants - who are willing to work for less than he might want to make. Also - a lot of the new construction here is outside the center of JAX (there's a lot in particular in St. Johns County).

I don't know how hard it is to find work as a nurse. But I suspect you have to be prepared to work anywhere between north Duval County and St. Johns County - which is a pretty huge geographical area. And while I think that it would be very hard to find a construction job before you move here - I think the options in nursing might be better.

IOW - finding a place where either or both of you don't wind up with long/very long commutes may prove to be challenging. Although that isn't the worst case scenario. The worst is that you move here and wind up unemployed for a period that is sufficient to deplete your savings. The job market here and elsewhere in Florida isn't that terrific. Robyn

Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM

Thanks for giving us something to think about. Maybe another area of Florida, between Brunswick GA and Ocala Fl ,would suit us better . Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,237,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Honestly, I think getting ALL of your criteria met is going to be tough. Once you say "in an area that has character...",narrow it down to more historic, walkable areas near downtown; Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, etc. Then, when you filter those through, 25 mins of the beach, pet friendly and $180k,.... Like I said, that's going to be tough. I'd say you're definitely talking condo first of all. I think Riverside would come the closest, but I'm not sure if you could find something you like for that price range and you'd be very lucky to make it to the beach in 25 minutes. Also, you might try down by Jax beach. Not sure what kind of neighborhood or complex you'd find in that price range, but you might check it out.

Renting first is almost always a good idea. Good luck.
Pretty much everyone that is being priced out of the Riverside & Avondale historic district, as it finishes up it's gentrification, is moving to either the Springfield historic district or Murray Hill. Rentals and deals on solid homes in both neighborhoods typically go fast.

Both are about your preferred distance away from the beach, have character, embrace small, unique business over chain stores, and are reasonably safe (virtually the same rate as Riverside).

Murray Hill will be mostly bungalows with few large homes, while Springfield historic district will be mostly larger homes with fewer bungalows. You can get a lot for your money in both neighborhoods, as they're not as gentrified yet, but light years ahead of where they were just 10 years ago, and steady improving.

Murray Hill
www.murrayhillneighbors.com

Springfield historic district
Home
SPAR Council

Old 03-31-2014, 07:33 PM

196 posts, read 425,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilesep View Post
Thanks for giving us something to think about. Maybe another area of Florida, between Brunswick GA and Ocala Fl ,would suit us better . Any suggestions?
Check out the Fernandina Beach area - closer to Brunswick, close the beach, lots of character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville