Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,311 times

Advertisements

We're a family of 4 planning to move to Jacksonville from NJ in the summer. We were recommended to look at Orange Park, Baymeadows and Mandarin as places to live. We have 2 children ages 2 and 10 and we're looking for a safe neighborhood with good schools. We plan to rent for the first year and then buy a home. Where would be some good areas to rent for our first year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 11:23 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,273,619 times
The one's you already mentioned would seem to fit the bill. Of course, there are little pockets of "not nice" and sketchy in those areas too, but the majority will be what you want: safe & good schools.

Of course, most of Jacksonville will have both of what you listed.

The 2 most important questions are:

1) What's you budget?

2) What grades will your children be in?

Form there, it's easier to narrow down.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 3,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
The one's you already mentioned would seem to fit the bill. Of course, there are little pockets of "not nice" and sketchy in those areas too, but the majority will be what you want: safe & good schools.

Of course, most of Jacksonville will have both of what you listed.

The 2 most important questions are:

1) What's you budget?

2) What grades will your children be in?

Form there, it's easier to narrow down.

This is a great platform to begin from. All areas in Jacksonville, as with any large city, will have its ups and downs. There are numerous areas that are very child friendly, as well as areas that do not fit the bill. I myself enjoy an area just north of Jacksonville, Fernandina Beach. I decided to reside here due to the laid back lifestyle and smaller town feeling, but close proximity to Jacksonville for jobs, shopping, ect. Once you set a range, where you will be working, ect we can give you a better idea of what area to look into. Jacksonville is a very spread out city, and if drive time to and from work is a factor, then that is a major consideration in the decision.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 8,081 times
I am looking for a place as well with basically same requirements. I would prefer the $175K range. I have been looking in Mandarin, Orange Park, St Johns, and general Jacksonville but it's very difficult to tell what the neighborhoods are like being from out of state and doing all of my research online! I am looking for a good neighborhood for a multi racial family, my husband works for the YMCA and will most likely be looking at transferring to one of the Jacksonville branches. I can do my job(s) anywhere.

We currently live in Louisville, KY which has terrible areas and great ones. We are in a standard, middle class neighborhood right now and want the same or better, of course. We are renting now for $1100 per month, but will be buying a home when we move.

My children will be in middle/high school.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,976,956 times
MrsCDF - recommending where to search would be based upon which YMCA branch. For example, it would not be a great choice to live in Mandarin and commute to the YMCA in Clay County and vice versa -- the commute would be a pain. If it's possible to get the transfer in place first and then search, that might be better. Like Louisville, and any other city in America, the Jacksonville area has its not-so-great and awesomely-great areas. But the difference is that Jacksonville geographically is huge.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,273 times
Considering your price point, and family check out Bartram Springs: [url=http://bartramspringscdd.com/]Bartram Springs CDD[/url]

Another good area would be Julington Creek (close to Mandarin).

My suggestion would be to shy away from Orange Park, has great areas, but also a lot of trouble areas.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 AM

4 posts, read 3,609 times
Default areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCDF View Post
I am looking for a place as well with basically same requirements. I would prefer the $175K range. I have been looking in Mandarin, Orange Park, St Johns, and general Jacksonville but it's very difficult to tell what the neighborhoods are like being from out of state and doing all of my research online! I am looking for a good neighborhood for a multi racial family, my husband works for the YMCA and will most likely be looking at transferring to one of the Jacksonville branches. I can do my job(s) anywhere.

We currently live in Louisville, KY which has terrible areas and great ones. We are in a standard, middle class neighborhood right now and want the same or better, of course. We are renting now for $1100 per month, but will be buying a home when we move.

Every area of Jacksonville will offer different positives and negatives. Also depending upon commute times ect. Do you know which YMCA he will be working at? I agree that would be a great starting point. Feel free to contact me, I can either set you up with a realtor down in south Jacksonville, or assist you with finding something in north Jacksonville or Fernandina beach Amelia island / Yulee area. There are plenty of great new communities outside of Jacksonville! Please feel free to email me and I can send out local information to try and help you have a better idea!

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM

No response from the original poster. I guess we'll never know.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCDF View Post

As others have said, pretty much every large city will have good/bad areas, and everything in between.

How many beds/baths do you need for $175k?

How old are your children?

From there, you can narrow it down pretty easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville