Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
also love the chorizo at Whole Foods, was just there today.
Here's a great simple recipe for the chorizo:

Creamy Chorizo Fusilli Pasta | Hot Sauce Blog - Hot Sauce Reviews & More!Hot Sauce Blog

I pre-cook the chorizo and drain the grease as suggested in the recipe. And I cut back on the garlic (I use 3 cloves) and WAY BACK on the cayenne powder (I use 1/4 teaspoon - can't imagine what 2 teaspoons would taste like ). Sauce can be made in advance and reheated. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,878,290 times
I love my Publix! I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid Winn Dixie and worse, Walmart.

We order a lot of grocery items and household products through Amazon Prime. We dropped our Costco membership last year because we found Prime to be less expensive on most items (especially with the 15% discount for subscribe & save) and much more convenient.

I love to save money, but my time and sanity are worth something as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,645,257 times
Publix has much better bakery. And Winn-Dixie seems a little "low rent" to me, I might as well go to Wal Mart and save more dough. So we do our shopping at Publix, Wal Mart and a few local produce stores, fishmongers and butcher shops.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:52 AM

410 posts, read 598,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMarysRichard View Post
I am the same way you are about crowds. If not for stupid shipping prices, I'd buy everything I purchase from the internet. Unfortunately, it cannot be done. I just will never 'get' most people these days. It seems that most actually want to go wherever it is crowded the most. It is almost like if someone sees a crowd, they think, 'oh it must be a very good place', and well if so many people are there then I better go and keep up with them or else I might miss something. Other than that I honestly believe that a major part of why people even go to a store is so they can just go be around people, and then look or act outlandishly seeking attention. These days people under 40 have really attained some terrible values and interests I tell ya.
Most of the people at Costco are lonely retired/SSI baby boomers (over 40) who have nothing better to do in the middle of the day. They enjoy the crowds. It's probably the only social interation they have all day.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,475,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Here's a great simple recipe for the chorizo:

Creamy Chorizo Fusilli Pasta | Hot Sauce Blog - Hot Sauce Reviews & More!Hot Sauce Blog

I pre-cook the chorizo and drain the grease as suggested in the recipe. And I cut back on the garlic (I use 3 cloves) and WAY BACK on the cayenne powder (I use 1/4 teaspoon - can't imagine what 2 teaspoons would taste like ). Sauce can be made in advance and reheated. Robyn
thanks, I actually have a black bean dish that I'm using it for tomorrow.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:02 AM

2,740 posts, read 5,475,922 times
Quote:
We order a lot of grocery items and household products through Amazon Prime. We dropped our Costco membership last year because we found Prime to be less expensive on most items (especially with the 15% discount for subscribe & save) and much more convenient.
I'd be interested in hearing how often and exactly what items you like to order through them. I've thought about joining.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,193,770 times
Most of the people at Costco are lonely retired/SSI baby boomers (over 40) who have nothing better to do in the middle of the day. They enjoy the crowds. It's probably the only social interation they have all day.

Lonely retired people over forty ? Like Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Anniston ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Lonely retired people over forty ? Like Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Anniston ?
I meant locally. And BTW, Leonardo DiCaprio is 39 and is now extremely fat.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Leonardo DiCaprio's Fat Beach Body -- Leolardo DiFlabrio | TMZ.com

Too much Costco!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,375,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I love my Publix! I'm willing to pay a little more to avoid Winn Dixie and worse, Walmart.

I love to save money, but my time and sanity are worth something as well.
Check on-line prices before you assume that Amazon is always the cheapest. That "free shipping" is often mighty expensive.

I buy quite a few household items on line from various places. Like drugstore.com (who wants to waste time/gas going out and buying things like floss threaders ?). And one of my favorite websites for those hard to find things is Shop online for the brands you love at MyBrands.com | My Brands. Ever try to find sugar packets with 1 oz of sugar in a store today? Impossible. But this place carries the stuff.

IMO - Costco isn't only a place to buy "cheap". It's a place to buy "good" and "very fresh" as well. Especially when it comes to items I buy a lot of (like block parmesan and Gruyere cheese and pine nuts). And it has some surprisingly high end stuff you can't find elsewhere in the metro area (like - currently - jamon iberico bellota). Of course - there are some food items I can't find in bricks and mortar stores anywhere in the metro area - and I buy them on line. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville