Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Saw this on the local news last night, still no word on the exact locations of where this will be. I know those of us in St Johhs County would LOVE such a service, although I'd likely wait a few months for them to work out all the kinks.
Agreed, I would be first in line, come dig up my yard, whatever they need to do, give me speeeeed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
AT&T customer service is certainly not great, but anything I can do to remove my dependence on Comcast and their SHODDY service and awful customer service would be worth it. I really hardly care about the upgrade in speed, that would be a nice bonus.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 16,230 times
So what is prevalently used in the area now then? Comcast it sounds like?

Old 08-21-2014, 12:09 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabkab1 View Post
So what is prevalently used in the area now then? Comcast it sounds like?
Correct. AT&T is available, but it's relatively terrible in comparison.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 AM

I live in Durbin and have seen several workers digging and dropping what appears to be fiber optics lines and I've seen a few smaller "AT&T" flags next to them. Anyone know if that signals their entry into our area?

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I live in Durbin and have seen several workers digging and dropping what appears to be fiber optics lines and I've seen a few smaller "AT&T" flags next to them. Anyone know if that signals their entry into our area?
More than likely the are replacing rather than putting in new. New subdivisions do not have copper anyway it's all fiber optics due to copper's cost, it is cheaper to put in fiber vs. copper plant.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Comcast's 50 megabits per second in and half that out is fast enough for me and, I would guess, for most households. What's all the fiber hype for residential customers in SJC?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Comcast's 50 megabits per second in and half that out is fast enough for me and, I would guess, for most households. What's all the fiber hype for residential customers in SJC?
The problem is, at least in our neighborhood, that the speed that Comcast promises (and that you pay for) is rarely what you get. Several of us in Durbin did speed checks and posted our results and no one came close to what they were paying for. During peak times it's laughable.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Well it's not only an issue of speed checks. It's a question being able to run whatever you want to run well - or not. We do streaming internet video on TV - probably the most speed intensive thing we do - and don't have any problems. Robyn

P.S. A lot of people don't realize the inherent limitations of their computers (or ever clean up their computers) - their routers - or other physical components of their systems. For example - I have a signal amplifier in the MBR to boost internet TV reception (our router is at the other end of the house). The maximum through put of the signal amplifier is X (I forget what). Enough for internet TV. At least for now. But - no matter what speed I get into my router - my TV in the MBR will never get more than my signal amplifier supports.

Also - we have 2 notebooks running on Windows XP that we use for "serious business work" (we have programs that don't work even in Windows 7). And 2 Chromebooks - for fun. The Chromebooks run at least twice as fast as the older notebooks. Again - it's a hardware thing - not an internet speed thing.

Last edited by Robyn55; 08-24-2014 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-24-2014, 05:19 PM

10 posts, read 10,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

P.S. A lot of people don't realize the inherent limitations of their computers (or ever clean up their computers) - their routers - or other physical components of their systems. For example - I have a signal amplifier in the MBR to boost internet TV reception (our router is at the other end of the house). The maximum through put of the signal amplifier is X (I forget what). Enough for internet TV. At least for now. But - no matter what speed I get into my router - my TV in the MBR will never get more than my signal amplifier supports.
yes and no;
your local network (aka your wifi at home) is going much faster than your cable or dsl connection. You can now get 802.11ac wifi routers which reach data rates of up to 1.3 Gbps. (theoretical limit is even much higher). Such routers (like my Apple Airport Extreme one) cost less than $150.

So the bottleneck is definitely with your ISP provider, not so much your home equipment; DSL will be slow but consistent as you never share your "pipe" with others as you do with cable. (users will see ADSL speeds up to 7/1 Mbps vs Cable at 30Mbps).

I also suspect the speed of your amplifier is much faster than your cable modem but that "amplifier" device will not stream faster than the weak link in your internet connection...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville