U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:20 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,195,751 times

Advertisements

Thanks all. DH likes this area...near beach and seems beautiful. He did a lot of driving around when there, and went around some of these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM

14,628 posts, read 18,410,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
oh, I've been back there to attend a party. That is really nice and quiet. Can't say I would call it swampy, but I'll assume that anything between the ICW and the ocean can flood.
I've been to a party in the Neck Road area too. Maybe it was the same party! IIRC - the area where I was was very low - and - to get to the house I went to - you had to cross a bridge over swamp/water. Safe assumption that everything between the ICW and the ocean can flood. Except for a very small part of Sawgrass Country Club and some high oceanfront "dunes lots" - just everywhere here is about 4-6' above sea level. Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto23 View Post
With more and more people moving to St. John's & Duval County are there any plans or discussion about adding more public parking & public beach access locations in close proximity to the Palm Valley Bridge? Micklers is going to be swamped with only 250 parking spaces. I'm seeing more and more cars parked out on the road. I know there are a couple of parking lots further south on A1A on the inland side. I think they are going to have to address this.
One thing has been discussed and tried. Shuttle buses from the Guana parking lots to Micklers. Basically didn't work (people didn't use the buses). Don't know if the shuttle buses will run this year. Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
We looked at a couple of houses in there about 2 years ago on one of our several reconnaissance trips to the area looking for a retirement place. We thought it was nice but there was one drawback -- a huge cell tower or power line or something (can't remember exactly what it was) that loomed over the whole community. It turned us off to the neighborhood.
Perhaps you're thinking of the Palm Valley Bridge? It's definitely big!

File:New Palm Valley Bridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 02:01 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,195,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've been to a party in the Neck Road area too. Maybe it was the same party! IIRC - the area where I was was very low - and - to get to the house I went to - you had to cross a bridge over swamp/water. Safe assumption that everything between the ICW and the ocean can flood. Except for a very small part of Sawgrass Country Club and some high oceanfront "dunes lots" - just everywhere here is about 4-6' above sea level. Robyn

Are you saying parts of Sawgrass sit *higher* up so they are safer from flooding?

Also, is it correct that if you own a house in Sawgrass Country Club (east of A1A) that you have free beach access (I think entering where the Sawgrass beach condos are?

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Are you saying parts of Sawgrass sit *higher* up so they are safer from flooding?

Also, is it correct that if you own a house in Sawgrass Country Club (east of A1A) that you have free beach access (I think entering where the Sawgrass beach condos are?

Thanks!
There's a block in Sawgrass Country Club - Lake Kathryn Drive - and perhaps part of an adjoining block - that is high. About 14 feet above sea level IIRC. We looked at lots there before we built (it was one of the last parts of Sawgrass to be developed). Decided against because it wasn't on a sewer system (and wound up being on those vacuum sewers - which I don't like - best I can recall). Also - that part of Sawgrass had some funny relationship with the rest of Sawgrass - and didn't have the same rules back then. Like one person who had already built had tons of dogs - and a dog run around her house. Not my cup of tea. I was last in the neighborhood a few years ago - and don't think that particular area has aged well.

As far as I know - there's no free beach access anywhere in Sawgrass unless you live on the ocean. Don't recall it as a selling point when we were looking. Also - if there was free beach access - why would anyone join the beach club? In any event - I could be wrong or things might have changed. Check with a real estate broker. Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 03:23 PM

BTW - a small area of high land in the middle of mostly low land isn't worth much IMO. What we found out after Hurricane Andrew is some of the people who were worst off were those with the least property damage in their neighborhoods (for whatever reason - mostly it was "just one of those things"). Those whose houses weren't destroyed in areas where 80+% of the houses were. They wound up living in isolation for years as their neighbors moved (some neighbors rebuilt but many took the insurance checks - sold their places as is - and never returned). Robyn

Old 05-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I could be wrong but my assumption is the lack of public parking is purposeful to keep things as uncrowded as possible. We have gone to that very beach each and every weekend for the last month and have never had issues with parking at the preserve walkovers or Mickler's. We always try and arrive before 10:30am and have had our pick of parking spots. By the time we leave (typically 1pmish) the lots are totally full.

If you were desperate I assume you could park in a hotel parking lot and cab it over to one of the beach access points if you arrived later in the day.
I think your assumption is wrong in terms of Mickler. The issue - like most here and many places - has to do with money first - and the environment second. That land is extremely expensive - and SJC is a pretty small county in terms of its budget. It has much higher priorities than expanding Mickler beach parking. Even assuming it was willing to pony up the money to condemn private land - there would still be big environmental issues (the kind that surfaced when a new high school in that general area was being discussed).

Your assumption is correct when it comes to the beach access points along PVB Blvd. There are access points - but no street parking - because the wealthy people who live there don't want to turn their neighborhoods into public beach areas on summer weekends (can't blame them).

FWIW - I don't think beach access is that awful here unless someone is demanding free legal parking at Micklers on summer weekends. In addition to Micklers - there's the Guana. It has plenty of free parking. Only complaint I've ever heard about the parking there deals with petty auto theft when people visit there off season/during the week. When the area is active - weekends in the summer - I haven't heard similar complaints. If you want something a bit more expensive - there's $5 beach parking at JAX Beach on summer weekends. Good access. My husband and I use that sometimes (to walk on the pier). Also - we sometimes have lunch at Azurea in Neptune Beach - and take a walk on the beach after. And - if you want something more on the posh side - and go to the beach a lot (we don't) - there are a lot of private beach clubs. The beach here is like most amenities here and elsewhere. You have to figure out whether you want to use it - and if so - how you want to use it (i.e., how often and what you're willing to pay).

Note that I wouldn't park in a hotel parking lot unless I was a hotel guest. You'll most likely get towed. The Marriott at Sawgrass does have weekend summer specials that cover things like golf at the TPC - the spa - and the beach club. The Ponte Vedra Inn & Club has similar specials. Might be fun summer family getaways for some people. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 05-17-2014 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM

420 posts, read 718,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Perhaps you're thinking of the Palm Valley Bridge? It's definitely big!

File:New Palm Valley Bridge.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robyn
No, it wasn't the bridge. But now you've got me stumped! I looked at Bing Maps and Google Earth trying to find out what it was I saw back there but I don't see any towers or power lines in any of the pictures. I wonder if the tower could have been taken down -- it was at least 3 years ago when I saw it. Very strange!!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 PM

60 posts, read 87,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
No, it wasn't the bridge. But now you've got me stumped! I looked at Bing Maps and Google Earth trying to find out what it was I saw back there but I don't see any towers or power lines in any of the pictures. I wonder if the tower could have been taken down -- it was at least 3 years ago when I saw it. Very strange!!
If you follow S Preserve View on Google Map, you will notice there is a cell tower right before you reach the cul de sac. Maybe that's what you saw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or