Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 16,771 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to Florida after an exodus from the 2004 hurricanes. (My house blew away in Vero Beach. I came up here to stay with family, then was in a car accident. Hurray! NOW I am healed up and ready to get back.)

That said, I want to live in St. Augustine. My Web searches indicate that 32084 seems to be a good zipcode there.

Any advice on whether it's possible to get a reasonably priced 1 or 2 BR condo for not more than $150K?

I've seen the names of condos like Villa San Marco, The Preserve, El Coquina, The Conquistador, Moultrie Lakes Condominiums, etc. (the latter are pretty inexpensive--under $100K--does this mean they're in a "bad" area or "gray" area?)

I am 60 but don't want to live in a 55+ only community...I'm not even interested in golf, one of the main draws for retirees. At the same time, I'd be out of place if I pick a condo that's basically off campus housing populated by mostly Flagler College students.

In my head, I envision a condo with a stable community pretty much (not a lot of seasonal or other owner rentals), with a range of ages that hopefully was within a reasonable walking distance of say a grocery, a pharmacy (a shopping area would be nice and also a library).

Any help or advice out there is appreciated beaucoup!! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 02:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Default The Conquistador

I know The Conquistador. It's located in an older, established big development called "The Shores".

Some parts of The Shores can look older and a bit outdated, and then there are some brand new spots as well. All of it is quite safe and fairly convenient (it's on the Southern end of St. Augustine).

The Conquistador was built maybe in the eighties? It's older, for sure, but they keep the grounds very nice and it's in a nice spot on Christina Drive - this is where the "club" is and it's right up against the Intracoastal.

The Shores is a real mix of people, plenty of families, most are full-time living there, shopping nearby, 15 minutes to the beach...It's a nice, quiet, stable neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 16,771 times
Thank you for your helpful information! Now I know to find out more about The Shores and I'll pursue the Conquistador there, too.

Can you tell me? Are their sidewalks pretty much in this part of St. Augustine? Or does one need to own a car to get around even when the pharmacy or grocery store or church is relatively nearby? I like to walk.
Thank you again!

Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
You're welcome.

There are sidewalks throughout The Shores (also bike paths, some small nature trails, lakes, etc.).

Walking to the grocery store is possible - there is a strip mall center at the Deltona Blvd entrance with some shops - but it would be quite a distance from The Conquistador. On a hot day you wouldn't want to walk that far (heatstroke!).

Overall, you would need a car to get anywhere. St. Augustine was designed with everything really spread out. If you're lucky, you might live in a spot where you can walk to some things (especially if you lived out at the beach), but in most of St. Aug, you'll be dependent on a car.

I find this to be the norm in Florida, I guess it's because so much of the state was developed post war.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,656 times
Post Conquistador

This is another vote for the Conquistador by your description of desires. It is a very peaceful, safe and attractive community. There are several retirees who live there, but it is not designated 55+. Very few in St. Augustine are, but there are some possibilities in the under $150,000 range. A couple of the $100,000 and under communities would not necessarily be in undesireable areas, but do attract alot of young families seeking lower-priced housing. I have lived here since '85 and am familiar with all areas.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-10-2008 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: removed realtor ad

Old 01-09-2008, 02:37 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
The Shores is golden, not only for price but for demographics as well. It's the only place in St. Aug- heck, Florida for that matter- that I can think of off the top of my head where SFD prices could still be considered "undervalued" (and no, I'm not trying to sell a house there. If I had one in the Shores, I wouldn't be selling it.). If I had to pick one "neighborhood" type place in St. Aug to live, couldn't afford to live on St. Aug Beach and was planning on working in St. Aug and not Jax, it would easily, easily be the Shores.

IMO, even though the homes in the Shores aren't as new as any given Eagles-Marsh-Plantation-Deer-River-Palms-Walk-Landing-Cove-Village-Nest-Estates type tract development, it is, in my opinion, far more desirable given that it is and always has been staunchly middle to upper-middle income and the vast majority of the units are owner-occupied (there are some rentals but overall, the people who own them live in them)... not to mention, you can usually get blocks in the Shores for what you would pay for comparable square footage in sticks in a newer development. Heck, even the older modular homes in the early phases (the ones near US1) are all very well kept and largely owner-occupied.

The Shores also has a very nice "community feeling" going for it. You can go out on the Pier and find a guy from New York crabbing next to a kid from Florida, both talking to a guy from Virginia who is fishing with a guy from Massachusetts and everyone is having a good, neighborly time.

The Conquistador Condos are pretty nice. Right by the water, clubhouse and park, very reasonably priced for what you get but not "so cheap" as to allow the riff-raff in.

The only downside to the shores is that it would definitely be in a higher risk hurricane area given its proximity to the intracoastal (which would rise 15'-20' if St. Aug ever got a direct hit and dunk most of the place- the Shores didn't even exist the last time we had a direct smack...) but that's a "back-burner" sort of concern that exists anyplace in the Coastal South.

I don't like all the open boosterism of the Shores because IMO, it's best left a little secret known only to the St. Augustinians, but honestly, it's a great place.

Last edited by LM1; 01-09-2008 at 02:51 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 AM

278 posts, read 910,157 times
www.staugustine.com/

You can check out the above link. It gives quite a bit of information about various areas and price ranges. There was so much over building of condos in the St Aug area...that you should have no problems finding what you are looking for.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 5,226 times
Default Conquistador Condos

My husband and I wintered there for several years. Excellent condo! Just choose your location carefully. I'd look at the newer, larger units. Best buy for the price! I'd avoid Talavara Court ... lot of rentals.

Good luck!!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 PM

227 posts, read 415,127 times
Sorry to throw in a negative aspect, but "The Shores" area used to be nice but has deteriorated a lot during the time I have lived in St. Augustine (over 15 years but not in the Shores, thankfully). That's not to say that you won't find something that suits you, but check that area out VERY carefully.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 AM

156 posts, read 710,896 times
There is also The Legends condos (zip 32092) in the World Golf Village area, gated, nice neighborhoods, close to Publix, CVS and Walgreens. I know you can get a one bedroom way under 150K not sure about bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville