Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 04:09 PM

35 posts, read 49,596 times

Advertisements

Hello Again!

Sorry for all the question -- but, thank you for all of your help! We are packing and getting ready for are move to Nocatee. Relocating from RI where the winters can be brutal. I know that the winters in PV can still be chilly. but, nothing like what we are used to.
I am just not sure what I should be tossing - do I get rid of my our hats, gloves, North Face, etc.
thanks for the helpful tips as always!

FF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM

199 posts, read 468,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF97 View Post
Hello Again!

Sorry for all the question -- but, thank you for all of your help! We are packing and getting ready for are move to Nocatee. Relocating from RI where the winters can be brutal. I know that the winters in PV can still be chilly. but, nothing like what we are used to.
I am just not sure what I should be tossing - do I get rid of my our hats, gloves, North Face, etc.

FF
As one from the Northeast, as little as possible. Bring a fall jacket (fleece) and maybe a hat. You won't need gloves or a snow suit. It may get "cold" here in the mornings or for one or two days a year, but nothing you would need a winter hat for like you do in the northeast.

We had several 3 piece "snow" jackets that we moved here....never will you need all the pieces together. It may get "cold" here, but you don't get the combination of freezing temperatures and wind chill like in the Northeast.

Maybe as your blood thins a bit over the years, you will start to wear a snow suit when it dips into the 40's.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,896,337 times
Will you be going back to cold weather areas for visiting friends and family? If so, you might want to bring clothes you want to wear if visiting cold weather. Otherwise, don't bring any of the heavy stuff. People layer here because it can be chilly in the January mornings then when the sun comes up it warms a lot and layers come off. After sun goes down the layers go back on.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:44 PM

375 posts, read 444,489 times
As you said. the winters are nothing compared to where you are coming from. As said earlier, most of the time, it will get cold for a couple days and then back up into the 60's in the day.

It will freeze several times a season. Most of the time in the low 30's, high 20's. Occasionally it will drop into the low 20's and mid to high teens. But these times are by far the exception and not the rule.

In my 57 years as a Native of Jacksonville, I have seen it drop to 11 degrees. I have seen several days to a couple of weeks where it didn't rise above the mid 40's for a daytime high. That being said, I have seen it in the mid 70's on Christmas day.

Do you need the heavy duty stuff you needed in RI? Not even close. But don't let any body fool you. It can get cold here. But as I always say, if you don't like the weather, hang around, it will change.

Welcome.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 AM

294 posts, read 340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post

Maybe as your blood thins a bit over the years, you will start to wear a snow suit when it dips into the 40's.
Ha ha true! Having lived years in Syracuse I thought I would not need any heavy items. People are different, but I was surprised how quickly my blood thinned out (only took two years). This past year the winter was 'brutal' here as it was in most places and I wore my heavy coat and hat in the early morning over 10 times!

If it is no big deal for the moving and storing of your items I would keep them a few years. You can always donate them later and might need them for trips back up north....The only winter stuff I have not used here is my skiing gear.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:05 AM

117 posts, read 246,132 times
If you have children who play sports during the fall/winter months here you will need the lighter scarf and gloves! I certainly used them at the evening games! Each of us kept one coat - nothing 'snow gear' but something to wear because the temps do dip down into the 30s and the mornings can be cold! The longer you live here, the more you'll feel it
Leave the heavy sweaters, but bring the lighter ones. Happy packing!

Old 06-05-2014, 06:19 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF97 View Post
Hello Again!

FF
I've been in Florida for 40+ years and have thin blood. I regularly wear sweat pants - turtlenecks - a fleece jacket - a cap - and thin gloves on cold days. Especially if I'm on a golf course. Had to buy all of this type of clothing when I moved from Miami. Also have some dressier clothing for cool/cold weather (I've been to outside holiday parties when it's 45 outside). I did wind up tossing all of my old ski country clothes over the years (stopped going on ski trips). Except for a warm ski parka that friends borrow a lot when they go up north.

Depends on how much clothing you have - but I'd get rid of the older rattier stuff before I moved. Also maybe stuff like long underwear - things you'd wear doing outside snow sports - and keep the rest. It really isn't easy buying a lot of basic winter stuff here (so I get all my turtlenecks from Land's End). You don't want to wind up replacing stuff you tossed this June next January.

Most people find they need this kind of clothing if they're out on chilly mornings (walking the dog - walking to the bus stop - just walking - gardening - etc.). Note that our winters vary considerably from year to year. This past year wasn't the coldest we've had recently. But it was one of the worst. Because many days were cool and overcast/rainy (usually our cooler days are bright and sunny). Every time it snowed up north - we had overcast/rainy days with lows in the 40's and highs in the 50's (at the Beaches - inland temps are usually colder at night). No fun at all. Robyn

Last edited by Robyn55; 06-05-2014 at 06:32 AM..

Old 06-05-2014, 06:28 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
P.S. I bought one of these jackets last winter - and it was a pretty perfect casual jacket for most of our cooler winter weather:

Women's Classic Squall Jacket from Lands' End

It's rated to zero degrees - but that must be for someone who's used to Michigan winters . It also comes in Petite sizes (I'm short) - and is on sale now. There's a men's version available as well:

http://www.landsend.com/products/men...cket/id_242736

Robyn

Old 06-05-2014, 07:07 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,160,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseconfused View Post

There's something to this, and I don't mean a product of getting old, just getting used to the weather here. We came from DC and I remember being completely baffled by people wearing sweaters and scarves in the winter evenings when it was in the 50's. Four years later, we've turned into wimps, 60's = chilly and we load the kids up with hoodies and layers. Our oldest is often complaining of being cold when it's in the 70's.

I fnd you need a jacket for most restaurants and definitely for the movie theater, they love to blast the A/C everywhere here all year round.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 AM

227 posts, read 391,114 times
We easily got rid of long underwear and thick down jackets when we moved from Wisconsin, but I'm happy we saved some lighter winter things. As much as 60 in February felt like heaven when we would come down on vacation (having left subzero), it feels ridiculously cold how that we've lived here for a couple of years. As others have mentioned, it will likely drop below freezing a few times at night, and if you're near the water on a chilly day it cuts right through. I haven't worn "warm" gloves, but regularly wear the stretchy "magic" gloves to cut the chill. I haven't needed a hat, but will wear an ear band when walking the dog or running, especially in the early morning.

That Lands End jacket Robyn linked to is probably about perfect, although I do agree with her that whoever decided it's good down to zero sits on a throne of lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville