Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,125 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
This is my first post ever so please bear with me. My husband and I are travelling down to Jacksonville this coming weekend to scout out the area for a week. We would love to move down there and so far, I am not seeing any reasons why we shouldn't. We are from Michigan and the economy can't be much worse anywhere else so that is no issue and we know it is hot/humid there. My husband is a certified pharmacy tech, obviously, seeking employment and hoping someone may have some good ideas/leads. We will also be seeking modest housing in the area. I know Portside MHP is one place we will be looking. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to move to a place that has opportunity and nicer weather and we think Jacksonville may just be that place. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 10:43 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,879,160 times
What is your price range for a rental? If you or your husband do not have employment secured in JAX, you may have a problem finding a landlord to rent to you. Do you have pets? CVS and Walgreens are the 2 pharmacy chain stores that have taken over the area. Definitely make contact with them and find out if they are hiring.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:09 AM

410 posts, read 346,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin inquires View Post
Hello all,
This is my first post ever so please bear with me. My husband and I are travelling down to Jacksonville this coming weekend to scout out the area for a week. We would love to move down there and so far, I am not seeing any reasons why we shouldn't. We are from Michigan and the economy can't be much worse anywhere else so that is no issue and we know it is hot/humid there. My husband is a certified pharmacy tech, obviously, seeking employment and hoping someone may have some good ideas/leads. We will also be seeking modest housing in the area. I know Portside MHP is one place we will be looking. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We want to move to a place that has opportunity and nicer weather and we think Jacksonville may just be that place. Thank you!
what do you do? Not sure about michigan, but here 'certified pharmacy tech' is a pretty low paying job....maybe 12 dollars an hour or something like that. Many are staffed by kids basically.....and some by lower level pharmacy students.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 16,823 times
Quote:
what do you do? Not sure about michigan, but here 'certified pharmacy tech' is a pretty low paying job....maybe 12 dollars an hour or something like that. Many are staffed by kids basically.....and some by lower level pharmacy students.
yeah i am agree with tacosman and here i have figures...

Average Pharmacy Technician salaries for jobs in Jacksonville, FL are 8% lower than average Pharmacy Technician salaries for jobs nationwide.

Oncology Pharmacy Technician in Jacksonville, FL - $26,000
Pharmacy Technician Riverbend in Jacksonville, FL - $29,000
Pharmacy Technician Outpatient Core in Jacksonville, FL - $32,000
Pharmacy Technician Medication Historian in Jacksonville, FL - $11,000
Pharmacy Technician Shipping in Jacksonville, FL - $15,000
Pharmacy Technician Prc in Jacksonville, FL - $31,000
Mail Order Pharmacy Technician in Jacksonville, FL - $27,000
Pharmacy Technologist Pharmacy in Jacksonville, FL - $31,000
Pharmacy Technician Medical Recon in Jacksonville, FL - $33,000
Pharmacy Technician Starting in Jacksonville, FL - $34,000
Pharmacy Technician Pharmacy Aid in Jacksonville, FL - $27,000
Outpatient Pharmacy Technician in Jacksonville, FL - $32,000
Certified Pharmacy Technician Pharmacy in Jacksonville, FL - $26,000
Pharmacy Technician Assistant in Jacksonville, FL - $27,000
Pharmacy Technician Correction in Jacksonville, FL - $23,000

Old 06-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Thank you all for your posts. As I said, I am new on here and for some reason could not even find where I posted or much less the responses. We have been in a position here in Michigan that we have been able to save most of the money my husband brings in so we have enough saved for a large downpayment and figure since we are just starting out, it will be a trailer. It will be a nice home...but as I say modest. Just getting our feet wet. Also here it is the same as there...certified pharmacy techs don't make a ton but let's just say...the economy stinks so bad here that $12 an hour sounds awesome. I just don't know how much groceries and utilities etc stack up against what we pay around here. I do have two cats but if buying a home, that shouldn't be an issue, right? Unless there are laws there that we don't have here. I know landlords don't like to rent to pet owners but we want to buy. We don't plan on moving until approximately September or October and that is only if he has found a job. He may have to go down ahead of us and take our pop up while I finalize securing housing. Sorry to ramble....there are a lot of "ifs" here. It is a lot to think about. We don't HAVE to move but we want to but only if we can make everything line up. That is the reason for our scouting visit starting Saturday...checking things out. I really appreciate any and all advice. Thanks all!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM

164 posts, read 226,436 times
Not sure what price range you are looking for, we chose Durbin Crossing in St. Johns county as the neighborhood was full of kids.
We came from MN so I am using that as a basis for comparison for the budget.
Florida has no state sales tax so that helps... I have found there to be some hidden costs with owning a house down here such as treating the lawn and home for pests (though you do not need to pay for these if you want to do it yourself).
The heating costs you are used to in Michigan will probably be similar in the form of cooling costs here. Water seems pretty comparable though you may want a softener / filter (at least we have decided to get one since the water is very hard / chlorinated in our area as opposed to what we had in the midwest).

CVS and walgreens are everywhere as another poster stated.

Hope that helps some.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger20 View Post
Not sure what price range you are looking for, we chose Durbin Crossing in St. Johns county as the neighborhood was full of kids.
We came from MN so I am using that as a basis for comparison for the budget.
Florida has no state sales tax so that helps... I have found there to be some hidden costs with owning a house down here such as treating the lawn and home for pests (though you do not need to pay for these if you want to do it yourself).
The heating costs you are used to in Michigan will probably be similar in the form of cooling costs here. Water seems pretty comparable though you may want a softener / filter (at least we have decided to get one since the water is very hard / chlorinated in our area as opposed to what we had in the midwest).

CVS and walgreens are everywhere as another poster stated.

Hope that helps some.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM

190 posts, read 313,760 times
Considering that Jacksonville is a huge area ( 874.60 sq miles or 2,265 km²) with hundred's of pharmacies. (CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart's, Publix's, Winn-Dixie's, and small private ones) I'd avoid getting hooked on an a particular area until I found a job and then bought a place near where I'd be working, to minimize commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: