Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:48 PM

301 posts, read 1,546,785 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor who just dosen't care about anything.The major issue I have is that his sepit tank system do not work properly.His system is on where he has a mound in his yard.For his drain field.For that last few years he has had an issue with the pump switch that pumps the waste up to the feild.What is happning when ever they use the bathroom and flush,wash clothes,do dishes and drain into the system the pump is inop and the waste flows into the ground at surface level.Which causes a smell of all smells.And if the wind is right it takes your breath away.I have talked with him,offered to buy any parts to fix problem.But he is young and bull headed.I and all the neighbors have called the health deptment many times.They come out during the day when no one is home and find no problem.And have told the home owner that he has nosey neighbors.They are no help.After smelling it today all afternoon I need help.Who,What ,Where can I call and get someone who will listen and take the time to look at the situation and do something.I hate to cause problems with the people I live besides.But this is unhealthy,filthy,dirty ect.At the county level I'm fighting the good old boys.Any Idea's.I keep having my well water tested to make sure it hasn't crept into the water supply.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 11:22 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
If you live in Duval, go to COJ.net. You can report it online ("Register a Complaint"). But you will have to stay on top of them.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:58 PM

No I'm in Clay.I have tried everything I know at this point.Nobody seams to care out here.I need some who can check the issue in the evening or weekend.I even E-mail St.John Water Management.Its a shame.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:50 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970pelle View Post
No I'm in Clay.I have tried everything I know at this point.Nobody seams to care out here.I need some who can check the issue in the evening or weekend.I even E-mail St.John Water Management.Its a shame.
That was going to be my suggestion as well - to go right over the county's head to the SJWMD.

How about contacting the St. John's Riverkeepers? Septic tanks are problematic to our rivers and ocean, here are some local environmental groups you can contact for help:

http://www.stjohnsriverkeeper.org/

http://www.surfriders.org/

http://www.florida.sierraclub.org/northeast/

Old 12-15-2007, 01:58 AM

Thank you Riveree.I'll check these out and contact them.I'll post as I hear anything.I hate having to do such a thing.The man is in late 20's has a family and his 2 boys can not even play in there own yard because of the filth and trash,ect laying around.I HATE fences.Glad for his.Even the eye sore it is.I have tried several times in the last 3 years to offer a olive branch to him,but to have it slapped from my hands.It reminds of something I heard years ago.I have changed it a bit.I'm my wife's husband and friend.I'm my childrens father and friend.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:17 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,372 times
Contact the department of health...as that's certainly a health risk and issues. It also sounds like he's a total jerk, so I wouldn't feel bad if he ends up being fined.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:32 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
How about "Asking Ken"? Ken Amaro on channel 4? http://www.firstcoastnews.com/inside...?storyid=51563

Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,920 times
It sounds like this "septic tank superhero" probably has not one, but two confederate flags. These flags probably do not just cover the front windows of his home, but are probably mounted high on a flag pole overlooking the whole neighborhood.

Sarcasam aside, why would he need a pump? The septic tank and the drain field should be arranged to flow purely by gravity. Perhaps the problem is that the sewage water exits through the drain field pipes and is resurfacing in the yard because the drain field is on a mound in the yard. There is probably a nice stream of semi-treated sewage running through his yard...flowing from the mound to the lowest point in his yard...ponding there...and slowly infiltrating into the ground.

So, here are some things to mention to "septic tank superhero" and to any authorities out there who are going to help solve this problem.

1) The discharge pipes should be extended to the lowest point in the yard...not on the mound.

2) The soil in the region of the drain field discharge should be sandy....so that the water can infiltrate quickly into the ground.....no chance for ponding....less smell.

3) Why does he need the pump again?

Old 12-15-2007, 09:36 AM

81 posts, read 324,483 times
From what I understand, a mound is needed when groundwater is too high to let gravity take the effluent down below the tank discharge level. A pump is needed to make it flow uphill to the mound, so it's high enough above the water table not to pollute it.

If his drain field needs replacement, he probably can't afford the thousands of dollars that costs. If it's just a new pump he needs, I would guess it's something in the hundreds of dollars, and probably can't afford that, either. It might cut into his beer money.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 AM

541 posts, read 2,285,920 times
Ohh....high groundwater....that is no fun! So, the pump must have been included in the building permits?? I am sure a "septic tank superhero" is not reading environmental permit regulations in his spare time, so they must have required him to set up the pump and the mound system. If so this sounds like a job for DEP. I would contact them first...if they issued him a permit to install this system they also should be the ones to enforce his compliance.

Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville