Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 5,485 times

Advertisements

After many visits to Saint Augustine, my husband and I have finally made the decision to move there. We are fairly young retirees, 58 and 60, however, my husband uses a wheelchair to get around. We are looking to purchase a house in the $300-$400 price range in a friendly community that is within 10 minutes to the beach. We're looking for homes that are younger than 10 years old, and we would love to have a decent size yard for our golden retriever. I would love to build a new home, but have noticed that most lot sizes are fairly small. We're not ready for a retirement community. Any suggestions regarding communities to check out would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:55 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,435 times
Look at Heritage Park 10 mins from Vilano
Look at Seagrove and (smaller lots) Anastasia
By Crescent Beach Sea Pines these are large lots and would suit you

Old 07-01-2014, 07:00 AM

1,071 posts, read 2,895,302 times
I would suggest Seagrove because the houses there are the age and price range you are looking for, the community has mixed ages of families, has sidewalks which are rare here and a community pool. The small community town center for Sea Grove houses a county library and a post office. The entrance to the community is west off A1A at the A st. traffic signal on Anastasia Island, approx. 10 minute drive south of the Bridge of Lions. and approx. 1 mile to the beach. 2 Grocery stores and Hospital are less than 10 min. drive. The lots are standard size for newer home developments, average size approx. 75' x 100'. I am in my sixties and live in a nearby neighborhood moving from MI 17 years ago. I love it here.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:49 PM

First choice for me would be Sea Pines then Seagrove as the latter have small lots whereas the former have big lots which I believe is a major factor for you

Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 PM

Sea Pines is a nice community and I believe all the homes in there are concrete block. The homes there were built by the same builder who built my home and I have been extremely satisfied. The neighborhood is farther away from grocery, drug stores and other conveniences, though.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM

23 posts, read 43,923 times
My husband and I are looking for nearly the same thing as the OP, right down to space for the Golden Retriever. We love St. Augustine, we both work remotely, no kids, so jobs and schools are not an issue. We have checked out Palm Coast (not impressed), Cape Coral on the West Coast (ok, but still not overwhelmed) and always come back to the charm of St. Augustine. Something in the $275k-$325k range and 2200sf, near the beach, fairly new, good sized yard and able to have it fenced in if not already (no strict HO rules). We are divers, I am a gardener, he is a soccer player and we'd like to be able to accommodate our interests/hobbies. I am also interested in getting involved with sea turtle nesting volunteer work. Probably TMI, but there it is. Would love to hear from the OP if she's moved or still looking or anyone else with info to share. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:48 AM

Housing prices have been rising again in St. Augustine. If you want to move within the next year, start looking for suitable housing and lock something in before cost rises much higher Here are links to your stated interests. I know Steve @ SeaHunt . He runs a great operation which gathers fun groups of divers Dive Shop St. Augustine Scuba Diving Jacksonville FL Scuba Center Trip http://www.seahuntscuba.com/diveschedule.pdf The Sea Turtle Volunteers are headed up by another friend of mine, Diana Justice. Here's her linkSea Turtles The Garden Club in St. Augustine is very active and has has many groups which sponsor events throughout the year and meet regularly. The Garden Club of St Augustine Home I don't know very much about adult soccer groups but here's a link
Beaches Adult Soccer League

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

23 posts, read 43,923 times
Thanks so much for the info and links! Much appreciated. Two questions: Has St. Aug had any issues with Chinese drywall in new builds? Also, I see a lot of home descriptions that include "concrete block" - what is the significance of this? Is it preferable?

Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 PM

Some of our homes are built with frame and insulation and others from concrete block.
There are many new builds going up near the ancient city Just returned from Madeira where new builders have taken over.
Also impressed with Palencia but the cdd fees are too high there
Just ask and we will all help but sounds like you need to talk with a local

Old 10-28-2014, 04:06 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,905 times
Concrete block is strongest and good for high winds, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville