Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:37 PM

20 posts, read 41,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrijean View Post
Thanks for all this information. I am sensing that there may be 50 plus NYC retires in nocatee. I'm going to take note of our most local doctors when I visit the end of this month. I'm thinking we could connect our NYC retiree families together and approach a local practice offering our loyal business and maybe the practice would see us as an untapped patient base and become a provider. It can not hurt to ask.
Kerri I am a former NYPD but left for another PD in Rockland. Lots of former city workers here. Lisa is neighbor. I have United Health care which is taken by Baptist. Not sure if United is offered by city but it's taken in most places. My 2 brothers are FDNY.
Firemen and cops are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM

272 posts, read 1,001,115 times
Great to hear NY's Bravest and Finest moving to the area. Two of my uncles used to work at Riker's. If there are any Yankees fans among you, try to sign up for AT&T Uverse. For an extra $10/month, you can get the sports package, which carries the YES network. Welcome to FL.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:02 PM

28 posts, read 70,441 times
Quote:
Thanks for all this information. I am sensing that there may be 50 plus NYC retires in nocatee. I'm going to take note of our most local doctors when I visit the end of this month. I'm thinking we could connect our NYC retiree families together and approach a local practice offering our loyal business and maybe the practice would see us as an untapped patient base and become a provider. It can not hurt to ask.
Kerrijean, I'm retiring from NYC Dept of Ed and will be living we will be living in Durbin Crossing. I will join that bandwagon to band together. Let me know.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 PM

11 posts, read 20,148 times
Hello. Well as of last Sunday I now live in Nocatee. I'm in greenleaf village and have met a nyc retiree who does have some doctors already. I have been in touch with a few local doctors that have started the process of applying to take ghi. It will be real crazy as we unpack and get the kids situated and I am now on nocatee next door too. I would like to collect names of doctors that are known to accept the nyc retiree insurance.
The couple I met have been living here for 2 years and seem comfortable with most of the providers that have used.
I understand the public pharmacy accepts his insurance and I will soon ask them about my coverage.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Hello. Well as of last Sunday I now live in Nocatee. I'm in greenleaf village and have met a nyc retiree who does have some doctors already. I have been in touch with a few local doctors that have started the process of applying to take ghi. It will be real crazy as we unpack and get the kids situated and I am now on nocatee next door too. I would like to collect names of doctors that are known to accept the nyc retiree insurance.
The couple I met have been living here for 2 years and seem comfortable with most of the providers that have used.
I understand the public pharmacy accepts his insurance and I will soon ask them about my coverage.
Don't all insurers publish a list of providers either online or in print?

Old 10-13-2014, 04:35 AM

11 posts, read 20,148 times
Yes but the lists are outdated and inaccurate. My sister and her husband have been living in Fleming island for 5 years and are both retired NYC cops. They have at times been assured that a provider takes their insurance only to later receive a size able bill.
It is my belief that if we as NYC retires with the same insurance options approach very local providers to accept our insurance, they may as we could provide a very sizable patient base.
I have been in touch with an access urgent care on us highway 1 and they have applied to take Ghi. I will call to follow up. As I see local doctors offices I may try to approach them
If people know of good providers that take NYC retiree insurance I'd like to hear about them to create a list of resources

Old 10-14-2014, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,480 times
HI. My husband is NYC Dept of Sanitation and will be retiring within a year or two with two young children (ages 10 and 12). We are also looking into moving to St. Johns County and would like to have information on health insurance. We currently have HIP HMO. Thank you in advance for your information.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:03 PM

49 posts, read 174,282 times
Lots of people moving down to get away from taxes in New York. It seems the local insurance companies would start to accept the plans you have. I am sure you are not the first with these questions. If I hear anything will pass it along. Have a friend that works for Humana and will see what he knows.

Welcome to St. Johns county.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM

4 posts, read 11,756 times
Hi Kerrijean

How do you approach the Dr's? Do you call and talk to billing? Is there a form you give them, or is it just the phone number on the back of the insurance card? Do you provide the reimbursement rates and have to "sell" them on taking the plan, or are they pretty open about accepting GHI.
We will be renting in the area for a while to see if we want to buy something. Since a major factor in our choice is doctors, I will go and try to recruit some.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:30 PM

145 posts, read 224,725 times
With respect to the Obama-care plans, please be aware that not all doctors will accept them. We considered purchasing a plan and our pediatrician and primary physicians told us they do not accept the Obama-care plans. I suspect it has to do with the low reimbursement rates for physicians and the regulatory red tape that can be rather exhausting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville