Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM

144 posts, read 186,429 times

Advertisements

Is Jacksonville small business friendly cans a curtain and upholstery business thrive and survive in Jacksonville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:22 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,339,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
Is Jacksonville small business friendly cans a curtain and upholstery business thrive and survive in Jacksonville?
A good curtain and upholstery business, can survive in Jacksonville. Thrive I have no clue.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,159,840 times
The answer is No. The giants of the industry will crush you like an ant.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
The answer is No. The giants of the industry will crush you like an ant.
Who are these giants of which you speak?

Old 07-11-2014, 03:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport69 View Post
I have used both a local curtain and a local reupholstery business within the last year (2 year house refreshing project - great fun ). First time for the curtain outfit - second time for the upholstery outfit. And they're both excellent. They're certainly not national giants.

OTOH - both have been in business here a long time (probably 15-20 years). And it took them years to build their businesses in terms of clients from the ground up. And it's still not easy for either business - because so many people here don't have a clue what this stuff should cost. And most can't afford to (or don't care to) pay for decent quality.

When I talked to the curtain person - she said her only decent business is in Riverside/Avondale - San Marco - some parts of Mandarin and Ponte Vedra Beach - also some parts of JAX Beach. She will take the occasional trip to Nocatee or communities in the 210 corridor to quote a job and be met with expressions of shock/disbelief when she quotes more than $200 to fabricate wall to wall curtains (she's pretty much given up on that area).

As for the upholstery people - they're kind of odd ducks. Very rural old south - they look right out of Duck Dynasty . But I've had them reupholster these chairs for me - and they didn't blink an eye (they did a great job as well):

Saporiticasa - Armchairs and Chaise Longues - Onda

Old world craftsmanship bottled a little differently .

Although you didn't ask - I ran across another similar outfit here this past year. Because I wanted to redo an oriental rug. Remove the fringe and have the ends woven - not glued. There's only one place in town that can do this. Again - mom and pop and old southern. Worth the trip (not that long - their place is on Old St. Augustine Road).

It's a tough business here. Not because there's so much competition - or because the area isn't small business friendly - but because people here in general don't have/care to spend a lot of money on this stuff. Still - I know people who are doing ok (although it took them a lot of time to develop their businesses). Robyn

Old 07-11-2014, 03:31 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
...they're kind of odd ducks:

Saporiticasa - Armchairs and Chaise Longues - Onda

Old world craftsmanship bottled a little differently .
I actually thought you were talking about the chairs.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:01 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I actually thought you were talking about the chairs.
The interior of our house and our furnishings are somewhat unusual for this area. A lot of mid-century modern stuff with an industrial slant.

Over the years - I've developed a network of people/places who can do most things for us (except for some furniture stuff). They're sometimes surprised at what we want. But willing to do it - competent as well.

We are to the best to my knowledge the only house in the metro area that now has high end commercial carpet tiles. They look great - like an art gallery. Wear great too. And if we happen to spill a bottle of red wine on one - voila - we rip it up and replace it with another. I love high modern style and low maintenance . Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville